They just opened the windows in the press box and let the fresh fall air rush in. Thank goodness. I thought the windows didn’t open, that this was hermetically sealed like most football press boxes where everything feels stale and prepackaged.

Baseball parks are more beautiful than football stadiums. Every baseball park has a unique personality and unique beauty. This place is lovely. And AT&T Park is a treasure. The dimensions of every football field are the same as they must be, of course. I love the eccentricities of baseball fields. Every park feels different. The new football stadiums are merely over-sized buildings with nothing special about them. Lambeau is the only football stadium I know of that passes the baseball park test.

Comments

1. Brady

I’ve never been to an NFL game, only a few football games at Stanford. Been to a lot of Giants games though, and the feel there is almost that of a play at an amphitheater. There’s a birghtness to a baseball game, a vividness. It feels like you’re walking through a park with some jolly people and stumble across a fun singing show so you clink your beer glasses and smile at the stranger next to you.

Football games, whether on TV or in person (though again, I’ve never been to an NFL game), feel like microcosms of the Roman Colosseum. There’s a primordial feel to them, like you’re taking part in a giant tug-of-war match.

Baseball games, even the pros, just remind me of playing TBall and little league, where the sun’s always shining, you put 2 cups of nacho cheese sauce on your 10 tortilla chips, chew on incredibly sweet bubble gum and wave at your mom and dad when you come to bat.

I still find baseball rather boring on TV, and I have no interest in the MLB outside of the Giants. But there’s nothing quite as joyous as spending a day at the ballpark.

October 9th, 2012 1:07 pm

2. Steve

Soldier Field (pre renovation) was a fantastic place to watch a Bears game. Depending on where you sat, there were tremendous views of either the downtown Chicago skyline, Lake Michigan, or the charming nearby neighborhoods. Haven’t been there since the renovation, but from the photos it doesn’t look too appealing. Can you believe the Bears used to play in Wrigley Field and the Chicago Cardinals (then St. Louis and now Arizona) in the old Comisky Park? At Wrigley about two feet separated the back of the end zone from the brick walls!

October 9th, 2012 1:55 pm

3. Loneraider78

Maybe it’s because I’ve watched most of my baseball and football in the Coliseum (not exactly the standard for a modern sports facility) but I’m just not on board with this “ballpark snobbyness” (not sure that’s a word, but I’m going with it)

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I take pride in our old crusty stadium.

There’s a saying I heard recently: “Women love the newest thing they own the most, and men love the oldest thing they own the most”

I’m fine with my old ballpark.

I’m there to watch what’s happening on the field, not to marvel at the architecture.

Put together a winning team and I’ll gladly watch them kick butt in our old dumpy stadium for as long as it’s standing.

Sure, there’s some parks I’d love to visit if I could, Lambeau being one. But what happens during the game is going to stay with me longer than what I thought of the building.

Maybe it’s just me.

October 9th, 2012 5:26 pm

In the spirit of Holloween and your dirge article this pleasant stadium must be scary like a graveyard to the Giants as their season hangs in the balance from a spider web.

October 9th, 2012 5:57 pm

Tomorrow Lowell,is Zito’s redemption,his Iliad, his savior game. The four horsemen of the Zito apocalypse all in one uniting of quantum and relativity forces.
    Its time for Zito to win and have a barn or zoo animal name for posterity.
    Oh,yeah baby.

October 9th, 2012 7:47 pm

I think what you like about baseball parks is how much closer you are to the action and perhaps the smaller scale. It does make you feel a little more comfortable with you surroundings. Beyond that there is very little difference between them. But both are built using the same code books.

October 10th, 2012 8:07 am