Here is the opening to my column from the Giants series winning Game 5 vs. the Reds.

CINCINNATI — After Scott Rolen struck out to end the National League Division Series, and after the Giants players came together on the field, and after they ran into the clubhouse and opened the champagne bottles, after all that reliever Sergio Romo, who had saved the game, walked over to a row of lockers covered by sheets of clear plastic and started to weep. He put his hands on his knees and he grimaced and tears filled his dark eyes.

“I’m very proud to be that guy they asked to get the last out,” he sobbed. He choked up and sucked in breath. “I couldn’t let them down. It’s not in me. I never thought … ” His words were interrupted when someone emptied a bottle of champagne on his head. “Holy cow,” he said.

To read the full column click here.

Comments

1. glenellen

Awesome article Lowell. We ALL wrote them off. It was unbelieveable what has happened. You know I am a huge life long Giants fan and I decided it would be bad luck to talk about it much with friends, just let it play out. Hope for the best. This will be the same theme going forward.
    Q: Do you follow the team to the next City or just take a break and visit the G E Village Fair on Sunday. Oh, you will be at Candlestick. ?

October 12th, 2012 12:06 am

2. Tommy CostaRica

Thanks for the insight on Romo. Watching him out there you couldn’t help but wonder what the heck was going on in his mind as he looked so serious. I would of never imagined him as the kind of sensitive guy who would cry after a game. Seeing him and Wilson head down the tunnel together they looked like Mountain Man and Minnie Mountain Man!

October 12th, 2012 7:41 am

That was special. Well said. Thank you for taking us there.

October 12th, 2012 7:49 am

glenellen, I’m with the Giants all the way through. Hope you are feeling well.

October 12th, 2012 8:19 am

5. lameduck

Deep down, I think you wanted to cover the A’s this year as they had an interesting story. I think you are finding out that the Giants are an interesting story as well. You are getting closer to the spirit of the team which is what has driven them to win since the Melky incident. All of a sudden they seem to have decided that failure wasn’t an option and they didn’t need help from anyone or anything else to win. I know it’s a marketing line this year, but I bought into the “Together we’re Giant” phrase. It’s what I tell youth teams. It’s what I tell my family, albeit differently. Affeldt picking Cain up – that’s what they are about. Maybe a little Petaluma rubbed off on them, is that where Holy Cow came from?

October 12th, 2012 8:49 am

I don’t think another writer gets so analyzed by readers as you.
    I myself try to stick to the players. And cats.

October 12th, 2012 12:20 pm

7. jay

Lowell you man’d up. The Giants are befitting their name – I was doubting after two down, Latos after 2-2… not a little but a lot, but there was hope, not a dream. New heroes every week and on the road. Big welcome on their return.

October 12th, 2012 1:35 pm

8. Frank in Minnesota

Wow…great writing, i felt like i was seeing the moments right there…..and you sound greatly affected by these moments,too….

October 12th, 2012 5:34 pm

9. Kathy

Great column, thank you.

October 12th, 2012 6:15 pm

10. Zach

At what point do we start saying that Bruce Bochy is one of the top (if not the best) managers in all of baseball? His performance in games 3-5 was tremendous.

Great job by the Giants; moved to DC recently and would love to see them in the NLCS, but understand a Cardinals probably win gives the Giants a better chance to reach the World Series.

October 12th, 2012 6:19 pm