I’m sitting in my hotel room watching the NLDS, figuring I fly to DC tomorrow and I’m thinking about Jim Harbaugh. He came out strong against Kevin Gilbride in a printed statement today. Fine. Gilbride probably deserved it for saying the officials let Justin Smith get away with murder. But then Harbaugh refused to answer questions about his statement at his news conference. Certainly that’ s his prerogative. If he didn’t want to answer questions, maybe he should have issued his written statement AFTER his presser. What he did may have a bad look — I admit I’m not sure. It may make him look like he didn’t stand behind his own words.

Comments

1. Seth

Maybe he filed a grievance with the league and can’t talk about it? Or he’s just stonewalling you guys.

October 12th, 2012 7:56 pm

Seth, I wasn’t there so he wasn’t stonewalling me. I’m in Cincinnati.

October 12th, 2012 8:14 pm

3. Martin

Your argument is that he should have
    Said that after conference. Does that
    Mean it wouldn’t have been asked at next
    Press conf. ? Didn’t think so!!

October 12th, 2012 9:08 pm

4. Kathy

I dunno, you might be flying home instead of to DC.

October 12th, 2012 9:19 pm

5. David

I believe that he somehow thought by releasing his statement before the conference, he wouldn’t have to say as much and could brush off questions about Gilbride and just refer to his statement. Much more controlled that way. He seemed to have a shorter fuse than usual, which may not be saying much. Very angry with Matt Barrow’s questions. Also with another question from a voice I didn’t recognize about a private discussion with a player. The only thing that was missing at this classic Harbaugh presser was you Lowell.

October 12th, 2012 9:20 pm

Kathy, Happily I am flying home.

October 12th, 2012 11:28 pm

7. lameduck

I can’t wait to see Beltran struggle in SF.

October 13th, 2012 1:06 am

Why some teams are losers:
    Would the Giants tarp their stands? Never.
    Would Bochy have called a steal with no outs needing a rally? Never.
    Would the Giants sit there hottest pitcher as the playoff’s start? Never..they sit their coldest pitchers.
    And Washington has all off season to pat themselves as caring hens for Strassburg..LOSERS!

October 13th, 2012 7:33 am

Haurbagh wants it both ways..tough talk…but then wants to pretend he meant no harm..lol..sure.

October 13th, 2012 7:35 am

Just like a slap on the back with a push meant nothing,nothing at all…

October 13th, 2012 7:36 am

There is nothing puzzling here. Harbaugh accomplished what he wanted to with his written statement. End of story. Ask all the questions you (the press) want. He doesn’t care. He is not going to answer them. He sent the message that he wanted to send through his written statement. This isn’t politics. This is football and he doesn’t want to take the chance of giving the Giants something to pin on the bulletin board. And by not answering any questions about it he made certain that the focus for the Giants stayed on the written statement. It makes perfect sense to me.

October 13th, 2012 8:00 am

12. mark decker

lowell …this is an easy one….he’s scared of himself….look…we all know Jimmy h is not gonna be carried on fans shoulders when he retires as coach of niners….I see: a) grabbing a journalist by the throat and niners forced to remove him b) his assistants one by one leave and it becomes harder for him to bring in capable replacements c) he has a major burnout d) not sure…….LOVE him coaching our niners right now but come on…a person that wound////that protective of his words….it can only last so long…I just think he didnt further comment cause he knows himself and is scared of it….one day…the one day will come..when journalists keep pushing for more….keep pushing and he is going to explode…and he party probably is over

October 13th, 2012 10:02 am

13. glenellen

” It’s obvious that the Giants coaching staff’s sole purpose is to use their high visibility to both criticize and influence officiating.”

Well played Harbaugh.

October 13th, 2012 11:56 am

14. Brotha Tuna

Jim is definitely an intriguing character, and his sometimes surprising statements tend to elicit questions. In this case my wild guess is to take him precisely at his words. I think he was hot, felt compelled to respond, but chose to do it in a written statement to control his response. Then later, in order to keep control of the response, he just kept referring back to the written one.
    It seemed odd, and slightly rude, but he was just done; no mas. Ask him what he’s going to call on 3rd down in the redone and you’d get the same level of cooperation. *shrug*

October 13th, 2012 12:27 pm

Jim Harbaugh doesn’t want to be known as accusing media and other teams as dirty, underhanded, cheat’en lying bastards.
    But if you get that impression from his statements,he’s ok with that.

October 14th, 2012 12:33 pm