Here is the opening to my Thursday column about Pablo Sandoval’s big game:

SAN FRANCISCO

Calling Pablo Sandoval The Panda isn’t enough, not anymore. It doesn’t do justice to what he did in Game 1 of the World Series.

Sandoval hit three home runs, hit them in his first three at-bats. Amazing. So, maybe we should stop calling him just plain Panda and rename him The Panda of Swat or The Power Panda or The Slayer of Verlander. Because he killed Detroit starting pitcher Justin Verlander, who is supposed to be the best pitcher in ball, kill-proof and invincible. The Panda of Swat sure made him vincible.

To read the entire column, please click here.

Comments

1. Nancy R

He’s Panda. Period. His name means strong, adored, beloved, rare. Swat, Power, Slayer are no good. Don’t diminish him by giving him extraneous names that aren’t as good; that he doesn’t need. His name is perfect just as it is. Just like yours. Would you want somebody adding junk to your name or changing your name? No. And what about Zito? Doesn’t he get more than a mention? He was awesome; tickling those tigers to death as you might say.

October 25th, 2012 3:58 am

2. Nancy R

Affirming him as The Panda is the highest honor you could give him. He embodied his noble name in game one of the World Series. But you didn’t. Just at the moment when he most deserved it. Would you change T. S. Eliot’s name after he wrote Prufrock and call him Tremendous T.S.? Yuck.

October 25th, 2012 4:10 am

So is it time to give up riding him about his weight?

I don’t think so as it will have an effect on his longevity. But he looks as big as ever and he’s getting away with it, thriving even. I never thought it really hurt his hitting, but wondered how it would change his fielding. He’s even doing that well. It’s good to be young like that. You can get away with so much more physically.

He also seems a bit more focused and mature. Perhaps he’s grown from his struggles the past few seasons, on and off the field. It’s great to see, almost more than his epic performance last night.

October 25th, 2012 9:02 am

4. Hoferfan67

LC, how about The Panda of Pluck?

October 25th, 2012 9:58 am

5. mbabco

Amazing. So many Venezuelans on the rosters (5 for the Giants, 4 for the Tigers). Panda should count for 2. Hugo Chaves even tweeted on the game.

I can’t help but noticing that Buster Posey looks like he’s about 17 years old.

This is fun.

October 25th, 2012 10:16 am

6. Steve

I agree with Nancy, Panda it is. He’s fat, but that dude can hit. The storyline for this Series is redemption: Zito and Sandoval playing major roles after being either left off the roster or relegated to a one game appearance as DH in 2010. Both handled it with class and determination and now are reaping the rewards. Karma.

On another note, I simply can’t listen to Buck and McCarver, so I endure the 7 second TV delay and listen to our guys on KNBR. The upside is that I’m fully focused on the TV for anything special that might happen. How lucky are we to have the BEST broadcasters (all four) in baseball? And how is McCarver in the Hall of Fame and Bill King isn’t?

October 25th, 2012 11:04 am

7. Dave T

Panda!!!!!!!!!!!!

‘Nuff said.

October 25th, 2012 11:20 am

8. Dave T

Maybe we can get San Francisco based comic (though I am not sure he still performs) Mark McCollum to write a Panda the Tiger Slayer song? That would be sweet!

October 25th, 2012 11:51 am

9. Kathy

@Steve, I do the same thing, listen to the KNBR guys and watch with the TV on mute. It’s a little weird at first but I’ve gotten used to it and my enjoyment of the game is increased immeasurably. And it’s sort of fun to hear something great happen before I see it, ups the excitement.

Can’t stand those Fox announcers. We’re spoiled with the local crew.

October 25th, 2012 12:25 pm

10. lameduck

I’m partial to the Rev or Reverend Pence. It’s fun.

October 25th, 2012 10:36 pm