Here is the opening to my column about the Giants winning the World Series:

DETROIT

When it was over, after the Giants beat the Tigers 4-3 in 10, after the Giants swept the Tigers and won the World Series, the Giants players — Ryan Theriot and Jeremy Affeldt and Marco Scutaro and all the rest — gathered along the first-base line, as if Comerica Park was their park, and saluted the Giants fans — there were thousands of them — who shouted at the players, “Let’s go Giants!”

The players wore World Series shirts and caps, and they hugged wives and girlfriends and they were having an impromptu party in the cold and the rain of a Midwest autumn, not that they cared about the chill. They were having a San Francisco party in Detroit.

To read the full column, click here.

Comments

1. Arizona Niner Fan

First rate column. Well done and congratulations.

October 29th, 2012 1:08 am

2. parnell

Lowell writes: “All season, Giants’ pitching — their strength — had been a weakness. If not a flat-out weakness, it had not been a clear strength. ”

During the regular season the Giants’ pitchers ranked 7th in all of baseball in ERA. Their hitters ranked 12th in all of baseball in runs scored. If pitching was a ‘weakness’ then offense was more of a weakness. They ranked 27th in all of baseball in fielding percentage, surely an actual weakness and yet they won 94 regular season games and three post-season series.

They got to and won the World Series on the strength of their pitching and timely hitting and making the big plays in the field and because they have the best manager and coaching staff in all of baseball. But the core of the team was, is and will continue to be pitching.

October 29th, 2012 1:12 am

3. Nancy R

I bow to Panda and the World Champion San Francisco Giants.

The Giants give us a metaphor for life. They were down during the season but they came back and blew us away – right out of the ballpark.

Thank you for telling the story of how Panda got his nickname, Kung Fu Panda, as it turns out, and for ending with Panda.

October 29th, 2012 4:07 am

Thanks, Arizona Niner Fan.

October 29th, 2012 7:26 am

5. Joe H

Lowell,

It’s been a wild ride this baseball season.

Thank you for your comments, insight and spot-on reporting.

As said before, Bruch Bochy is the best manager in baseball. He simply does not make mistakes.

What do you think his chances are of running for Mayor of San Francisco? He could sleep through the election and win.

It sure feels good to be champions.

October 29th, 2012 7:47 am

The Giants went through a lot this year. No starting pitching, no relief pitching, no hitting, at various times throughout the season. Scutoro was a big pickup, but Hunter Pence might have even been better. He instilled a little of his intensity into the team and turned them around in the playoffs when they needed turning. I hope they keep him.

October 29th, 2012 7:49 am

7. Tommy CostaRica

Lowell thanks for all the little column snippets! I read every one of them this morning. One of the best parts of being a fan is the sporting green reading the day after the game. I almost enjoy that as much as watching the game itself. Telling us about your travels; the airlines, looking out your hotel window, the vino, meeting with the guys after the games and how Pablo got the Kung Fu Panda nickname is a great way to savor the experience. I felt like I was there as if I had made the trip myself.
    My thoughts on the MVP is that Pablo could never have been the MVP if it weren’t for Zito’s rise from the scrap heap in pitching what to me was the most amazing pitching performance I’ve ever seen in the pivotal game 5 in St Louis. I enjoyed your take on that, “How did we get here to be facing elimination and having no one else but Zito to start?” And we were all a little still in doubt when we had to depend on him again to pitch the opening game of the World Series. I think it’s really a typo this year or they need to rename the award. It’s actually MZP; Marco, Zito and Pablo! :-)

October 29th, 2012 8:16 am

Tommy CostaRica, Thanks for your note. I agree about Zito. He is the one who turned around the postseason. The Giants might have been dead without him. FYI, I haven’t written for the Sporting Green in 17 years. I’m happy where I am.

October 29th, 2012 8:27 am

9. Tommy CostaRica

Thanks Lowell, I haven’t read a real newspaper in years but I still refer to reading online as the sports page. And for those of us who have been around the block a time or two we have fond memories of going straight to the sporting green on Monday mornings, and coveting it like a baby’s blanket during those 15 minute coffee breaks and lunch time.

October 29th, 2012 9:00 am

10. Steve

Wow, has it really been 17 years? I, too, have enjoyed your columns and blog entries, even on the rare occasions when I disagree with your take.

Both Bochy and Sabean repeatedly stress that these Giants are better people than players. The Giants actually performed better after Melky was banished. Here’s a thought I haven’t heard or read about. I wonder if the real reason the Giants didn’t aggressively pursue Beltran is his selfish, me, me, me personality? He sure seemed to be that way last year during his brief stint here.

This team consists of many young, home-grown players. With the core philosophy of the organization and the leadership of Sabean, Bochy and the coaching staff, the future holds great promise of more championships.

October 29th, 2012 10:17 am

11. Steve

One other thing: during the post game rap on KNBR, Dave Flemming thanked Jon Miller for letting him call the 10th inning. Without hesitation Jon said, “It was your inning Dave, and you did a fabulous job.” Kruk and Keip concurred. It was a surprising and touching moment. Even our broadcasters are unselfish in an overwhelmingly ego driven industry. They are the best in the business!

October 29th, 2012 10:36 am

Well done. It all happened too fast I suppose. It hasn’t fully hit me really. I didn’t expect this season to end this way. Funny to think about how close the A’s got to appearing in this series with just one more win over these obviously flawed Tigers.

October 29th, 2012 10:52 am

13. lameduck

OK, so I’m finally back to work.

I was good from when you told me to stop frettting. I hope you get home OK with all the weather issues.

Where did you eat? I remember years ago the different restaurants in the “towns” offered up interesting choices. The Mexican restaurants had a lot of lamb dishes which perhaps is a Greek influence? I have no idea. Last time I was in Detroit I felt like I was in a war zone and when I arrived at the stadium it seemed like a palace with the peasants living outside. Way worse than Hunter’s Point.

I’m trying not to think about the upcoming “Hot Stove” season and relishing in the moment. The moment of Theriot sliding across home plate with a huge smile made my night.

Perhaps Pence’s first speech brought them together. The first thing I noticed with Pence is that he did the “outfielder bump jump” after a game. Nate didn’t do that so to me that said Pence was trying to be a teammate and fit into what was happening.

The conspiracy theorist in me says that baseball called things the Giants way so they could make an example of a team that supports the PED ban. That will be the commish’s story for a while. On the other side, I wonder if anyone had some cough syrup to all of a sudden have a better fastball…

I’m going with none of that drama and our Giant’s came together when they were buried and on the brink. They saw the light and didn’t go near the light. Somehow they were resuscitated and life came back into them.

I think Fielder got hurt when he dove for that foul ball at AT&T – he is a very big man. The irony of the Cabrera last name… Blanco making plays into outs that Delmont would have let drop for hits made it. It’s true the Tiger’s didn’t hit, but our defense was outstanding.

Enjoy the moment. It is so unexpected. I struggle with it being unexpected or am I a little less excited because they just won two years ago? It’s kind of weird.

October 29th, 2012 11:26 am

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    GIANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    *ALOHA*

October 29th, 2012 11:44 am

Many points..but a few..I was right on about the Zito strikeout being what puts the Giants into the series.
    And also-I heard the KNBR blowhard dig at Damon Bruce for-I guess- saying Lincecum would never make it as a relief pitcher.
    But you know what? ALL OF 2011 And almost all of this year..he said 2010 was “lucky” “catching lightning in a bottle”..I know on this blog and others I always disagreed with that. He better giggle at what he says..being wrong all the time must be depressing,embarrassing,and humiliating off the air. If he had any journalism skills,we might get some accuracy. MAYBE!

October 29th, 2012 12:24 pm

16. Steve

Lameduck, I forgot about the Nate bump jump thing. He complained a lot about not getting enough playing time, too. They never went public, but behind the scenes Sabean and Bochy knew he wasn’t a “team” guy, so they figured out a way to get rid of him. Remember, too, that Pence bought his own plane ticket and made his own flight arrangements so he could get here asap. I dont think we’ll realize the full magnitude of what an incredible team this was until a bit of time passes and we reflect upon the entire season. But now is the time to exhale and enjoy the moment.

October 29th, 2012 12:42 pm

17. The Seth

Great column Lowell and what a post season, from the brink of disaster to unstoppable champs.

October 29th, 2012 1:08 pm

When’s the parade?
    *ALOHA*

October 29th, 2012 1:38 pm

I also enjoyed that the exact moment of the last out? Leyland turned his back on the field and ran to the clubhouse..just like when Dusty Baker looked like he had just bought into Linburgerfruitcake when the Giants won the pennant.
    It just ate at the mighty eastcoast writers who had convinced those managers they were superior in every way to the Giants organization.
    THINKabout it. Would the Giants have been voted “No.1 baseball team in the country” by said writers? NEVER.
    So,the Giants simply beat the tar out of the opponent to leave no doubt.

October 29th, 2012 4:08 pm