The Giants declined Aubrey Huff’s option. I think he came out all right. He got paid $22 million the past two seasons for doing very little. Could I get one of those?

Comments

1. Peggy

Please, please, please.
    Have you forgot 2010?
    He got hits, he had personal problems and the Giants still kept him. I believe the team is more than the stats that you guys always like to report.
    Stats are important but team morale and roll models help mold and keep a team wanting to win.
    It was inevitable that Huff would go but fans all remember 2010 and his rally thong. Good luck to Huff.

November 2nd, 2012 12:40 pm

2. Ukiah Tony

$24 million because they paid $2 million the other day just so he doesn’t play next year…

November 2nd, 2012 12:59 pm

Just another mistake from Sabean, why such a big contract when you had Belt coming up from the minors. I remember Glenn Dickey said after they resign him, it was a mistake and yes it was.

November 2nd, 2012 1:43 pm

4. tkh

Yes, you can get one of those. Just hit 26 home runs, bat for a .290 average and drive in 90+ runs… if you can do that against major league pitching just once then you too can get a great contract… can’t do that? well there you go…I think you and I are always going to have to agree to disagree on the relevence of player salaries…Huff’s salary did not prevent the Giants from winning nor did it put much of a dent in the owners’ earnings…Are players overpaid? I don’t know, are movie stars?? I think it boils down to supply and demand…if the owners weren’t making the $$$ then they couldn’t pay the salaries…Bob Lurie bought the Giants for 16 million, lost a million dollars a year for 15 years and sold them for 120 million…not a bad return on his investment…I don’t begrudge the ballplayers for whatever salary they can command…If I don’t want to pay the ticket prices, buy the shirts, etc. then that’s my choice…

November 2nd, 2012 1:51 pm

5. Joe H

If there is one glaring weakness on the SF Giants, it’s the Designated Hitter position when playing AL teams. Open the slot and bring in some power. AHuff made out like a bandit, no tears for him.

As the Giants look into next season, the strong suit is power and defensive play makers. The additions of BCrawford and MScutaro were defensive plays, that also brought some of the most opportunistic singles, doubles, and triples. A flawless defense is the base floor, a stellar defense (including stingy pitching) controls the outcome; but only until someone comes from 3rd base to home, does the score change. So, those singles + Stolen Base + Sac bunt + Sac Fly = 1 run. That’s the hard way, but it works. The easy Home Run blast is nice, but may not occur, even with your cleanup man.

November 2nd, 2012 2:53 pm

I didn’t realize he was still here.

November 2nd, 2012 3:17 pm

Yeah..outa here for sure. He really did nothing last two years..but he made a boadload of money.Was that Sabean’s call? Guess he is fallible after all.

Mark Mcguire seems to be heading to Dodgers as hitting instructor. He turned down option to coach another year in St. Louis. McGuire publicly expressed frustration with the Cardinal hitters the way they handled Giants Vogelsong and especially Zito in the playoffs. He said that in Zito’s case they had seen him twice and knew what to expect but made zero adjustments. He said that given no adjustments Cards would get the same results . He seemed to be implying that Cadinal hitters did not heed his advice. So maybe that contributed to his decision to move on. I wonder if Cardinal hitters would have blown McGuire off if La Russa was still there.

November 2nd, 2012 6:09 pm

Win-win.
    *ALOHA*

November 2nd, 2012 6:14 pm

9. EatMyCumulous

When is the parade being held for Huff leaving the Giants?

November 2nd, 2012 6:38 pm

10. lameduck

I think it’s “outta”. Hmmm…why is it so expensive to see a baseball game? Let the millionaire sweepstakes begin.

I do have an Aubrey Huff bobblehead. What I want is a Spier/ Tito bobblehead.

November 2nd, 2012 6:41 pm

11. Jack Orion

Maybe the A’s will sign him. Happy belated b-day, LC.

November 2nd, 2012 6:46 pm

12. gary

$2,000,000 to not play baseball for the Giants next year.
    yeah, i have a little middle-aged envy. And must give
    Sabean a bit of a tension headache.

November 2nd, 2012 8:04 pm

13. Tommy CostaRica

I think I could play up to that level!

November 3rd, 2012 6:47 am

Beidrens tops that. You saw the fiasco rubbed it in the Warriors face last night once again. He’s a man of no shame and little ethics. Hookers? try practicing free throws. If he cared.

November 3rd, 2012 10:13 am

except for all the cashola that he made, it was all downhill for Aubrey after he grossed everyone out by reaching down his pants and pulling that thong out in front of women and children at the 2010 parade. We’ll see what happens to Ryan Voglesong who seems to be next in line after his no class act at this years parade with his “you’re going to jail now” and then an “up yours” gesture.

November 3rd, 2012 2:14 pm

Speaking of thieves…And I could have guessed this.the NBA has a slightly secret insurance for players like Curry..big bucks to produce little. I would think its if the highly paid players CANT play..but you know what? I’m just a realist enough to think the NBA and the NFL and MLB has it own “self protecting bounty” insurance for the Huffs,Beidrens, Sheets,Rowands..just something to make sure the cost isn’t on the rich owners..but you and me. Like always. It would explain Al Davis’s spending..the Dodgers…
    Hush-don’t tell anyone.

November 3rd, 2012 3:46 pm

17. B-Rad

I’m not trying to be critical of Brian Sabean at all. His two W.S. titles buys him
    a grace period of 5 years each, or until 2020, with me.

But, the Giants had the top payroll in the NL West each of the past
    3 years. Coincidence? Over each of the previous 7 seasons before that, either
    the Dodgers or Giants were #1 in the NL West – the Dodgers 6 times, the Giants once,
    with the other team #2.

Over the past 5 seasons the ‘season starting’ team payroll in our division
    averaged:

Dodgers – $102.6 Million
    Giants – $98.8 M
    Rockies – $78.8 M
    Diamondbacks – $65.8
    Padres – $51.2M

The Padres and Snakes should not ever be in the race based on payroll.
    The Rockies – occasionally, if everything breaks right for them.

With the self-destructive Frank and Jamie McCourt ownership gone
    from L.A. and a new deep-pocketed ownership in place, I’m
    anticipating an exciting 2 team race in this division for the
    foreseeable future.

November 3rd, 2012 6:16 pm

18. lameduck

Strangely, i miss being able to afford going to all the games. The loyal 2K fans enjoyed the games.

As this continues the individual season ticket holder will be relegated to upstairs or the outfield.

I guess it’s better for the players if the average middle class people are out of earshot.

November 3rd, 2012 7:50 pm

19. glenellen

I wonder who this years mistake is going to be.
    Pagan or Scutero could be a mistake if too much money is required. Or Affeldt too.
    At the time we did not think Huff would be a mistake.
    Its such a gamble. Who was to know that Huff & Burrell would just party the whole off season of 2010.

November 4th, 2012 3:02 pm