Here is the opening to my Monday column about the pathetic Raiders run defense, as displayed as Tampa Bay:

OAKLAND

You’re feeling pretty good about the Raiders after what happened Sunday. Sure, they lost to Tampa Bay 42-32 and fell to 3-5, but the offense came back several times and made a game of it, showed fight and grit and all that blue-collar, lunch-pail stuff the cliché artists love to write about. The loss was what some people call a good loss.

So, yes, you’re feeling good because what transpired bodes well for the Raiders’ future.

Well, hold the phone. There is no such thing as a good loss. There never ever is a good loss. And very little that happened concerning the Raiders’ defense bodes well for the future or the present or the past, if you want to go back that far.

To read the full column click here.

Comments

1. B-Rad

We kept hearing all game long how Doug Martin is the next Ray Rice.
    The Raiders get to see Ray Rice in Baltimore next Sunday.
    My prediction – the Raiders hold Rice under 200 yards and you get
    to write a nice column about them tackling better.
    Of course, Flacco will throw for 850 yards and that will set you off
    again.

The Raiders are 3-5.
    Their losses average 14.8 points.
    Their wins average 5.3 points.

November 4th, 2012 11:15 pm

2. Steve

Lowell,

After the second game you asked for patience with the Raiders. I concurred, but singled out McLain and Kelley as two players that had to go. I didn’t include Seymour at the time, but beware anyone that Belichick dumps. Now you’re saying fire them right now. Have you lost patience? This is not, and never has been, a playoff team. I think McKenzie, Allen, et al, are watching these guys very closely and will do what needs to be done at season’s end, if not sooner. Palmer is a holdover from the Year of Jackson and is making the same mistakes he made when he was in his “prime” with the Bengals. They’re stuck with him for the remainder of this year. Penalties continue to be a Raider issue; it’s a carryover due to the current personnel.

I’m a 49ers fan but I see some semblance of a long term plan with those in control of the Raiders. Harbaugh inherited a ton of talent, these guys have a team devoid of any. Let’s see what they do when they get a chance to shape this team. If it’s more of the same next year, then it’s time to judge them harshly.

November 4th, 2012 11:24 pm

Very funny article, Lowell.

I caught the last quarter of the game on TV and I was rooting for the Raiders to pull it off. You have to excuse Palmer for that last interception because it was panic/desperation time and he got hit releasing the ball.

This game turned into quite a homecoming party for Oakland native Doug Martin of the Buccaneers.
    I have not seen such an extravagant measures taken for a banquet since watching the movie “High Plains Drifter”
    Put another way, it was as if the Oakland defense was transformed into matadors… only the crowd yelled OY VAY instead of “Ole” as Martin thundered by the flailing “offensive defenders” in an angry charge to the goaline.

November 5th, 2012 2:49 am

4. Nancy R

Your comment “There never ever is a good loss,” struck me. Thinking back to baseball, it was out of the smoldering embers of many losses during the season that the Giants came back to claim victory. Would the turnaounds of Lincecum and Zito have been so sweet without their bitter losses? How boring if all they had done was win all season!!!! It’s the drama we love, right? The ascendency when all hope for redemption is lost!!!!! I say we LOVE loss! If there was no loss what would we have to talk about?

November 5th, 2012 4:27 am

Steve, I’m simply helping the Raiders braintrust decide whom to keep and whom to fire. I have patience.

November 5th, 2012 7:31 am

6. John

I know you’re talking about professional athletes here who are making millions. I get that.

However, I must take issue with your position that there is never a good loss. Actually, sometimes losing is preferable to winning and makes a clear the real potential of sport. Competition comes from the Latin “comptere,”meaning “seek together.” It would seem dreadfully shortsighted to think what competitive athletes are seeking is simply to find out who won. It would also do a terrible injustice to those who’ve sought valiantly and lost.

Eugenio Monti gave a part from his bobsled to Tony Nash of Great Britain to replace a broken part of his bobsled. Nash used the part to beat Monti for the Gold Medal in the 1964 Olympics. Monti was vilified in the Italian press. His response was: Tony Nash didn’t beat me because I gave hi
    m a part from my sled. He beat me because he had the fastest run. That was a good loss.

Jesse Owens was struggling to qualify for the long jump in the 1936 Olympics, when he was befriended by German long jumper, Luz Long. By his own admission, Owens had become unnerved by the presence of Adolf Hitler. After Long calmed him and coached him through the qualifying round, later that afternoon, he won the Gold Medal. Long won the Silver. They left the stadium arm in arm, to the chants of the cheering crowd shouting “Jayzee! Jayzee!” That was a good loss.

Sara Toucholsky of Western Oregon University hit a 3 run homer in the playoffs against Central Washington. However, while rounding first base, she freakishly tore her ACL. She fell and crawled back to first base, unable to run out the homer. None of her teammates could help. A substitute runner meant that Toucholsky would be credited with a 2 run single. Then Mallory Holtman and Liz Wallace of Central Washington asked the umpire if they could carry her around the bases. The umpire said yes, and Holtman and Wallace then carried Toucholsky around the bases. They paused at each one and gently lowered Toucholsky so that her foot could touch the base. Toucholsky homer beat Central Washington. That was a good loss.

November 5th, 2012 9:09 am

7. gary

Seymour may be the most overrated Raider.
    He is a revolving door most plays, but if
    he manages a half sack, he celebrates like
    he has won a playoff game.

November 5th, 2012 12:14 pm

Allen played defensive-not to lose. If TB only scored 10,we would grind until we had 7. Only when TB went off..did Allen pass offense get a chance..or is it Hue’s offense?
    It was ridiculous obvious bad coaching..
    And McFadden?.. a high sprain. Big deal…No “let me in coach!”..”tape it,give me a couple of painkillers coach and I’m ready”..not Darrin. He retired for the day.
    It must be those “sprained ankles and loss of playground BB abilities studies for former NFL players” That had Darrin worried.

November 5th, 2012 1:03 pm

9. Loneraider78

Hey, at least someone from Oakland ran for 251 yards!!

November 5th, 2012 5:00 pm

10. Loneraider78

John, puh-lease!!!

Thank you for the english lesson, and those are all heartwarming stories, but this is the NFL. Teams can’t lend eachother parts to finish a game, the Bucs can’t carry McFadden down the field just because he would’ve broken away if he didn’t freakishly tear his ACL.

There was absolutely nothing good to take away from that game. They gave up 251 and four scores to a ROOKIE. They allowed 35 points in the second half!!! Not to mention the fact that DMC and Goodson are now both hurt–AGAIN!

Please tell me what good can come from that. About the only thing I can think of is that it can’t get any worse.

Thanks.

November 5th, 2012 5:18 pm

11. Loneraider78

Not too often I agree wholeheartedly with your view, but here I do.

They need to purge this defense almost entirely. Branch, Burris, Wheeler, Houston, and maybe Shaughnassy can stay. Dump the rest.

Time. The drafts in the next two years will tell us which direction this franchise is headed.

We knew this season would be rough, so we will just have to cringe our way through every embarrassing moment the next eight games brings us.

November 5th, 2012 5:35 pm

It makes you wish the RAIDER defensive players would use MORE HGH!

November 6th, 2012 2:30 pm