In today’s column I talk about the concept of standup guys. I mention some of the Raiders big stars got out of the postgame locker room pretty quick and did not stay for media questions. You may not care about media, but standup guys stay and take the heat. Here is a list of standup guys in the Bay Area — there may be others I’m blanking on:

Barry Zito

Tim Lincecum

Brian Wilson

Angel Pagan

Hunter Pence

Alex Smith

Vernon Davis

Donte Whitner

Carson Palmer

David Lee

I omit the A’s because I did not cover them in the postseason when the standup guys — and the stand-down guys — really emerge.

Comments

1. BigBrad184

Not a “star” player, but I admired the way Kyle Williams handled himself after the blunders as a punt returner against the Giants in the NFC Championship Game. I’m sure there are others on the Niners who deserved to be mentioned here – hard to see Justin Smith and Patrick Willis as anything but standup guys. Maybe Jonathan Goodwin would qualify as well. Definitely a good list though.

November 5th, 2012 10:17 am

I don’t know how many times I asked the BANG beat writer what Cespedes thought of the bay area,big city life,etc, all thought the season. NOT ONE interview of the A’s slugger all year past spring training. Is he standup? who knows?..Joe never asks.
    Huff was standup. Give him that. BEIDRENS would be the anti-standup. I think Shaw was not standup after the Fiesta Bowl..and seems off putting even now. Reggie McKenzie quietest GM in town..not good. KNBR..sit down rules.
    Lacob?..ahhh..very slick. The “high character” thing was getting to be a joke.
    Now for the writers..ah. Another day..hee.

November 5th, 2012 10:33 am

3. MJ

And don’t miss out on the movie, Stand Up Guys, coming soon staring Pacino, Walken and Alan Arkin. Looks to be good entertainment.

What about Justin Smith, Willis or Gore?

And I know you aren’t a big hockey fan but Big Joe seems pretty stand up-ish.

November 5th, 2012 10:45 am

Beane stands up on a ladder-when he wins. When the A’s are losing..he’s nowhere to be found. Maybe in a hole under a bridge?

November 5th, 2012 11:16 am

5. B-Rad

I find player interviews boring because 99.9% of it is company line pablum.

The last local stand-up athlete, to me, was Jeff George of the Raiders.
    Back in 1998 or so, he had his own weekly radio spot on KNBR and announced
    to the audience that his groin injury had finished him for the year. This was
    news to the Raiders and Al Davis was furious. Anyone who could infuriate
    Al was OK in my book. I also liked that he often ignored the offensive
    coordinator and called his own plays. Not being Al’s favorite guy, he was
    gone by the next season.

November 5th, 2012 6:52 pm

6. Mark

Brian Wilson? Are you referring to this year, or 2010? It’s easy being a standup guy when you’re not playing…

November 8th, 2012 8:26 am