I’ve been watching CNN a lot lately because of the election. It’s a very loud station — that guy with the red and blue wall map drives me nutty. I watch ESPN a lot less than you’d imagine because it too is a very loud station. I consider both stations similar. CNN is all news all the time and ESPN is all sports news all the time. So, I have a question for you: Which does its job better, ESPN or CNN?

Comments

I am not a big fan ESPN, and ESPN 2, they favor East Coast teams, and talk too much about Tebow, or the Dallas Cowboys. I thought CNN did a great job yesterday between John King and Wolf Blitzer.

November 7th, 2012 10:41 am

2. jason

Liked CNN back when they actually had a newscast. Bernard Williams and Mary Alice Williams was a daily watch. So was Lou Dobb’s great business report program, before he went all right wing nutzo. Even their half hour sportscast was great. More concise, less nonsense, and you know what time they’re on each day.

Now CNN (like Fox and MSNBC) is all talking head pundits all the time trying to out-shout each other. Just PBS for straight forward news these days.

November 7th, 2012 10:43 am

It’s an interesting comparison. Both are equally unwatchable for long. Both are incredibly repetitive and deliver 90% fluff. Maybe more. But if you need to get caught up on something quickly that is happening now, they can’t be beat.

November 7th, 2012 11:13 am

I enjoyed seeing Megan Kelly on FOX. She is the epitome of power blond..and she never forgets it. The woman never lets her guard down..the constant posing,the eyebrows,the stare…just a living cartoon of ‘Super Anchorwoman’. I wonder how many marriages she’s going to burn through?

November 7th, 2012 11:40 am

Mixing politics and sports on blogs now? Not just here..
    Now tell me (as I was told so often by repub posters) I’m talking to myself.

November 7th, 2012 11:43 am

6. J Canseco

Never watch either.

November 7th, 2012 11:43 am

7. glenellen

I rarely watch ESPN any more at all. To me, it not so much loud as just too much BS. I really like MLB, NFL, and NBA stations. I like the personalities on MLB. During the WS I was wishing MLB could do the WS instead of FOX. I have a strong disliking for FOX (Joe Buck).

I had an ordeal that kept me home the past 6 months so watched alot of TV.

On Sundays during football games is the NFL Red Zone channel. The BEST TV going. These major league stations I mention are only 5 or 6 dollars a month more and certainly worth it.

November 7th, 2012 11:55 am

8. glenellen

Yes. I like CNN way better than ESPN in a landslide victory.

November 7th, 2012 11:58 am

9. Dave Anderson

I watched CNN for election coverage because they are thorough and not as clownish as some of the other supposed news station. Actually I switched between CNN and NBC. Brian Williams and David Gregory the best, an aging Tom Brokaw was nice to see. Missed seeing the late Tim Russert.

With ESPN you have to pick your spots and you favorite announcers / analysts. I’m not a Berman guy at all. They need more Adam Shefters and John Claytons and fewer “personalities”. I’m a bigger fan of ESPN talk shows – Sports Reporters, PTI, and Around the Horn.

PS. Advertising sales on ESPN along with cable / satellite subscriptions is The Walt Disney Company’s biggest source of revenue.

November 7th, 2012 12:02 pm

10. Streetglide

Fox is for dummies. CNN has a bunch of over made-up hotties passing themselves off as news folks, ESPN is just plain boring. Both have a heavy east-coast bias; I try not to watch either. NFL Network and RFD are on most of the time in my house with the odd run over to BBC Ameica. The orginal British “Top Gear” is the best thing on the tube…

November 7th, 2012 12:27 pm

11. Kathy

That is a tough call. I rarely watch ESPN because they do seem to be so biased in favor of Eastern Seaboard teams, and even when they show a West Coast item coming up in the menu on the left, I always seem to miss it. I mainly use ESPN to catch the sports ticker.

CNN, oh this could get me going, as I hold Anderson Cooper personally responsible for the increasing decline in what passed for TV journalism. CNN has ALL that programming, all those correspondents, and yet only seems capable of covering one–just one!–story at a time. So during a major catastrophe like 9/11, you get a good sense of what’s going on, but it’s like the rest of the world, well, fell off the face of the earth. It’s shameful that with all that time, all that money, all those supposed professionals, they can’t cover multiple major news events in depth.

It would be like buying a newspaper and it only has one topic covered. Even with Hurricane Sandy, they covered the storm’s effect in Manhattan and the Jersey Shore to death, but for more than 2 days not a peep about Staten Island, and nothing at all about Conn, Massachusetts, Philly/PA, OH, WV.

Also, CNN is really becoming too reliant on its partisan commentators. We all know what they’re going to say, the Ari Fleischers and the Paul Begalas, the Carly Fiorinas (shudder) and so on, it’s a colossal bore, and it’s not news!

So if I want news, I read newspapers and websites. If I want sports, I watch it live, or watch ComcastSportsNet, or I read the papers.

November 7th, 2012 12:50 pm

12. mendozaline

I think that PTI is a national treasure, (Or should I say natinal treasure.)

November 7th, 2012 3:25 pm

13. Steve

Never CNN, ESPN only if there’s a game I want to watch. Way too east coast biassed – if it doesn’t involve the Lakers the west coast is ignored. Colin Cowherd on ESPN Radio is worth a listen. For news I stick strictly to PBS. Their election night coverage was superb their anchors and reporters don’t take themselves oh so seriously yet deliver the hard news in an entertaining yet highly intelligent manner. Probably because they are all true journalists and not ex- beauty pageant contestants.

November 7th, 2012 3:36 pm

14. Raffaele

It is hard to choose, because neither does a particularly good job.

The talking heads at ESPN often put out drivel, and too often are opinionated rather than news presenters. It’s rare to get fresh sports news at ESPN.

At CNN the news cycle is repetitive, and if I’m looking for recent news I have to wade through stale stuff.

On election night I watched the PBS folks. They did a marvelous job of presenting results promptly and bringing in commentators with both useful information and class.

November 7th, 2012 4:17 pm

15. Hoferfan67

Both do a good job but CNN edges ESPN by a nose.
    LC, as I write this, I’m having a nice glass of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. I don’t know what happened to Napa Chardonnays but they seemed to have lost their character. I now prefer NZ Sauvignon Blanc if I’m not drinking a nice Napa Cab.

November 7th, 2012 5:36 pm

Hoferfan67, I usually drink Sonoma County wines. I’ve moved away from Napa wines.

November 7th, 2012 5:43 pm

17. glenellen

Yes, Sonoma Valley Wineries !

November 7th, 2012 11:59 pm

18. Streetglide

NZ makes some wonderful SBs. They tend to be a bit steely but less grassy than the local plonk. Husch Vineyards in Anderson Valley vinted excellent SBs when Tony Husch was at the helm. They may still for all I know. Napa is a lousy place to grow Chardonnay grapes — too hot. Dehlinger over in Sonoma County has created some Chardonnay doozies but he has priced me out of late. Mazzocco Vineyards by the Healdsburg airport makes a good version; their Zin is terrific if you are into the coastal style. I’ll stick with the Amador drink myself… -L-

November 8th, 2012 7:16 am

19. Dave T

ESPN…or at least back in the day. Gone are the days of Dan Patrick and Keith Olberman. And the catch phrases! They used to be edgy, fun and to me, all about sports. Then came Disney…..alas….I digress. I still like ESPN because I know I can get sports somewhere at any time. ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNNews, etc. But with the growing NBCSports Network, Comcast, Fox Sports Soccer, Golf Network (NBC), Tennis Network…I think the list goes on and on….and on…and on… Point is, ESPN is not the only sports only network in town anymore. And neither is CNN for that matter. It is all diluted and competeing for their piece of the pie.

I also agree on the New Zealand SB call. My personal favorite is Oyster Bay. Can find it from time to time in the Grocery Stores, but never had a problem getting it at Bottle Barn. Cheers!!

November 8th, 2012 11:05 am

I watch ESPN when I am not watching FOX or a show one of the other channels. I never watch CNN so I couldn’t compare it to ESPN.

November 8th, 2012 10:15 pm