A local group bought the Santa Rosa Press Democrat on Thursday. They even held a town hall meeting for all employees so they could introduce themselves. I couldn’t attend — I was snowed under with writing and couldn’t drive up to Santa Rosa in time — and I feel sad about that. I want to say it’s great to be wanted and it’s great to be seen as a local treasure — the PD is. I have been incredibly happy at the PD and I’m glad the paper is moving forward.

Comments

1. Brady

As a young person who intends to spend the rest of my life in this area, this news made me giddy.

November 9th, 2012 9:21 am

2. cara

Yes, and miraculously their large front lawn comes back to life!
    This is seen as good news as the PD has really gone down hill over the last 10 years or so, ad revenue is in the toilet as a result—followed by layoffs and lack of good reporters and writers.

November 9th, 2012 9:35 am

Cara, Sorry to disagree with you but there are many talented writers on the PD and our photographers are tops.

November 9th, 2012 10:12 am

4. Kathy

I’m pleased the paper will have local owners again, that has to be a plus. I think the paper’s quality has remained high, even with the declining ad revenue and shrinking news space. Plan to keep on subscribing.

November 9th, 2012 10:30 am

Thanks, Kathy

November 9th, 2012 10:49 am

6. glenellen

The Sports page (mans achievements) should be on the front page.

The front page (mans failures) should be in the back.

The PD has an excellent sports page !

November 9th, 2012 11:17 am

I don’t care who owns it just as long as Lowell keeps his job.
    *ALOHA*

November 9th, 2012 11:18 am

glenellen:
    That is definately one of the more profound ideas I’ve ever heard of.
    Sports page in the front and front page in the back–GENIUS!!!
    Every newpaper and news program should be set up that way.
    But then again, they’d lose us after 10-15 minutes.
    Sorta like how grocery stores never have the beer in the front.
    *ALOHA*

November 9th, 2012 12:52 pm

I hope they appreciate your talents Lowell, you need to stay. A manager once told me early in my career and I rolled my eyes but now I believe it. He said companies don’t realize how good you are until after you leave. They need to leave well enough alone.

November 9th, 2012 12:58 pm

10. Kathy

Lowell, I’m an anachronism, I subscribe to two papers–grew up reading the Chron and can’t give it up, but it stopped covering Bay Area news except SF, and I have to know what’s going on locally too.

Reading newspapers is one of life’s great pleasures.

November 9th, 2012 7:23 pm

11. Frank in Minnesota

Hi Lowell…you are most fortunate as across the country newspapers are dying out, but the hope here is that the few that are surviving remain strong….glad you will be around in print,too!

November 10th, 2012 7:19 am

Thanks, Frank

November 10th, 2012 10:01 am

Just keep kicking out your stuff Lowell. Don’t know thing one about that paper honestly as I’m a South Bay guy who likes his Merc. But we need your illumination on these local squads that try so hard to hide so much. Your perspective is unique in my opinion. Still wish you’d cover the Sharks some.

November 10th, 2012 12:45 pm

14. Rob

Count me as dubious and concerned about the consolidation of media — in the Sonoma Valley where I reside and now Santa Rosa — in the hands of political hacks.

November 10th, 2012 1:17 pm

I see there is a online “local” paper called Patch..and noticed that they do the bay area and city’s of…but,just the wealthier areas..Rockridge yes,Richmond no. etc.
    You could fit right in with sports and wine and cheese. All the hi falutin news fit to print!.
    Uh,wait, I see there too fancy to have a sports section. Sports isn’t elitist enough for them.

November 10th, 2012 6:07 pm