Somehow we got moths in our kitchen pantry — a big cupboard. Mrs. Cohn Zohn was horrified. We threw out just about everything and now we keep cereal in plastic containers and we wrap everything in plastic or foil. And guess what, we see a few months right now flying around. Does anyone out there have a good remedy for moths?

Comments

1. Kathy

I’ve had pantry moths and they are pain. You did the first step, which is to toss everything that is grain-like, not just cereal but crackers, flour, corn meal, etc. Clean every shelf thoroughly.

Now you need to get some other phemerone traps, I use the Safer brand. You can buy them at CVS or grocery stores. Put them in your pantry or on top of your refrigerator, they’ll attract adults and they get stuck on the glue and die. The owner of Traverso’s also told me that bay leaves placed on your pantry and cabinet shelves help–an old Italian remedy.

The eggs and larvae of the moths get into our houses via flour and other grain-based groceries, so it’s a good idea to put bags of flour, rice, cereals, sugar, etc into the freezer for 2 or 3 days to kill the eggs off before storing the groceries in your cupboards/pantry.

Good luck, I’ve never completely gotten rid of mine but I use a lot of containers to store dry foods and the traps are winning the war of attrition. But I think they can survive eating fabrics, carpets and so on. But at least they’re not in my food.

November 9th, 2012 7:20 pm

2. Steve

Cats. My cats love to chase and eat them. My Bengal can leap six feet and pluck them out of the air. Very nourishing, high protein snack. Come on Lowell, save a life and adopt a shelter cat. Mrs. Cohn Zohn will think you’re even more purrfect. Meow!

November 9th, 2012 7:21 pm

Steve, we already have a cat named Winky. He hasn’t helped at all with moths.

November 9th, 2012 7:27 pm

Kathy, I showed Mrs. Cohn Zohn your helpful note on moths. She thanks you for the tips and so do I.

November 9th, 2012 7:30 pm

5. Niner '70

Kathy is on the mark for most tips for pantry moths. Here’s what I tell homeowners:
    Yes get the moth traps, they work very well but only catch males. Also vacuum and wipe down not only the shelves but the floorboards surrounding the pantry and the kitchen. Larvae wander off to pupate in small crevices. Discard or freeze all open containers that contain grains, cereal, nuts, and pet foods if you suspect contamination (look for webbing and granular material in products), and use airtight containers or zip-lock bags. Wrapping is ineffective as the larvae are so small they can fit through cracks-they can even work their way through screw-cap jars if not screwed tight. BTW, pantry moths differ from the ones that feed on fabrics although they are they are similar. Good luck!

November 9th, 2012 8:08 pm

I open the back door and let them out. Or catch them by hand and release them.Same for spiders. I’m just a he-man with a heart I guess.
    Besides,moths are important pollinators for many plants. If ma nature made them-who am I to get in the way?

November 10th, 2012 10:16 am

Stan, what do you do with rats? Ma nature made them too.

November 10th, 2012 12:02 pm

Cats. Ma Nature thought of everything Dennis..just observe and learn..

November 10th, 2012 3:31 pm