I don’t get the Lakers hiring Mike D’Antoni. He’s a fast break, push the ball up the floor coach. He has an old slow team. How does that work? He’ll want the ball in Steve Nash’s hands. Where does that put Kobe Bryant? Phil Jackson would have been a much better fit. There obviously was a problem with Jackson. I wonder what.

Comments

Been trying to figure out the same thing all morning. Jackson was the obvious fit. ESPN is saying Phil wanted part ownership and control over roster. That guy cracks me up. It’s a lot to ask for but still, it seems like he might be the one guy in the universe who would deserve it.

November 12th, 2012 12:00 pm

2. RC

I agree completely with your synopsis above.

I think Jackson and Mitch K (the GM) don’t see eye to eye. Reports out that Jackson wanted to mush control, seems there was a power struggle and Mitch won?

November 12th, 2012 12:20 pm

3. Brady

the ball SHOULD be in Steve Nash’s hands. He’s a better player than Kobe Bryant. And D’Antoni gets credit for being a fast, small-ball type player, but that was largely because of the players he had. He is an offensive mastermind, most notably in the pick-n-roll, where he now has the best p-n-r point guard and center in the league.

With that said, I think they made a huge mistake by not choosing Phil Jackson.

November 12th, 2012 12:48 pm

4. mbabco

I don’t get it either. Why pick the guy with no rings over the guy that has 11, 5 of ‘em with you?

November 12th, 2012 1:45 pm

The answer is M O N E Y. Jack son wanted ‘Jackson’ money an control which is significantly more than D’Antoni wanted. Couple that with Kobe saying that all they wanted was a coach who would get out of the way – the Lakers really didn’t need to pay ‘Jackson’ money for a coach. In fact, the lakers have blown out their last two opponents without a coach. I think it was a great move

November 12th, 2012 2:25 pm

I just think it’ll be interesting to see what happens.
    I mean, everybody is well aware of what a Jackson-coached Lakers team looks like.
    I’m glad they picked D’Antoni.
    Kinda tired of the Lakers anyways…
    *ALOHA*