I drove from Oakland to Santa Rosa today to a meeting to learn about our new owners — the PD has had 3 owners this year. I am optimistic about our new owners, very optimist. I met our new CEO Steve Falk — we overlapped at the Chron but didn’t know each other. On Wednesday, I drive back to Santa Rosa to learn about the new health plan, my third this year. Health plans are very important. After that I drive to San Francisco for Chron Live, my first time on the show in over a month because of the Giants. I also am on Friday night. So this week I will be doing a lot of driving and a lot of TV and I will write two more columns. I love to write even if most of you thought I was all wet with my war words blog. Life is good.

Comments

1. Hoferfan67

LC, good read. Why not try to get Grant on Chron Live? You don’t have to be on the same night! I’d also like to see Eric Branch on Chron Live. Cam and Monte do a great job.
    BTW, I didn’t think you were “all wet” with the war on words. I enjoyed the blog snippet. Good times.

November 13th, 2012 6:19 pm

Thanks, Hoferfan67. I’d like Grant to be on Chron Live. I’d love for him to be on with me. I’ve been a little shy about suggesting it. I told him if he and I are ever on togethr I’d take the whole family out to Gary Danko — not that I can afford it. Despite what people think, there has been no nepotism with Grant. The PD actually discovered him on its own — they had read his stuff on Comast. Mrs. Cohn Zohn and I were in Hawaii the summer of 2011 and Grant phoned and said the PD had offered him the Niners blog. I almost fell down, that’ s how suprised I was.

November 13th, 2012 6:36 pm

3. RC

I would like your opinion on the future of newspapers. I happen to think local papers are vital to there regions and will still be relevant in the age of Internet and blogs etc. I have to assume business wise this might not be a popular opinion.

What do you think?

November 13th, 2012 6:54 pm

Clearly, the Sonoma consortium that bought the PD thinks there is a future in local newspapers. I sure hope they are right.

November 13th, 2012 9:22 pm

5. glenellen

We still have a paper but not all is a perfect world.
    From Chris Smith:
    As my newsroom colleagues and I filed into the mass meeting with the brand-new owners of The Press Democrat, we’d just consented to help the sale go through by accepting a pay cut and freeze, a reduction in vacation and an end to payments into our modest but beloved, decades-old retirement plan.

November 14th, 2012 12:23 am

6. Frank in Minnesota

Hoferfan67 has a good idea….get Grant in front of the camera…he might be a special talent on air, his writing certianly is…..

November 14th, 2012 10:50 am

7. Albert Park

Lowell, I sure hope you aren’t going to get screwed on your health plan. That seems to be the trend these days, and I hope your new owners will be the exception.

November 14th, 2012 9:23 pm

Albert Park, We got a good health plan, so good I will not switch to Medicare just yet. It’s very early, but the new owners of our paper seem to have their hearts in the right place.

November 15th, 2012 12:29 pm