Here is the opening to my Monday column about the Raiders:

OAKLAND — A significant thing happened after the Raiders lost to the Saints 38-17, after they dropped their third game in a row by a combined score of 135 to 69, after their record fell to a hopeless, hide-your-head-under-the-pillow 3-7.

Mark Davis, son of Al and current owner of the team, entered the silent, mostly empty, very gray locker room. He stood in the area where the offensive linemen get dressed. He made it clear he was available to talk, made it clear no questions were impertinent or off-limits. He wanted to — needed to — get something off his chest. There he stood.

To read the full column, please click here.

Comments

1. Bob In Portland

If Mark Davis how bad his hair is when he looks at himself in the mirror every morning how can he figure out how to fix the Raiders?

November 18th, 2012 11:13 pm

2. mbabco

Well, Bill Walsh was 2-14 in his first year, 6-10 in his second. Sometimes it takes a while to see progress. I think you have to give Allen & McKenzie another year.

I disagree with you on this: “It’s like they don’t even have a defense, just a bunch of paid actors who stand there and watch opponents run past them. And all that is on Allen.”

The problem might very well be the players themselves. If they’re a bunch of stiffs who could care less, it’s on them, not the coach.

November 19th, 2012 7:04 am

As head honcho of “The REAL sons of Al Davis” I,me and we knew it wasn’t good to hire all defensive people who would turn their back on vertical WCO.
    Allan’s post game show had a lot of “I need to look at film”..I heard enough of that and “At the end of the day” to last me for a few more decades then I have left.
    Davis needed to hire somebody connected to WCO..have they ever done badly here?..name a dedicated WCO coach who fell flat here.
    Mark Davis needs to put the “Take a Knapp” offense to sleep. Fire him-NOW. He needs to change the DC..whatever know name he was when hired? He’s even more obscure NOW.
    What is Davis waiting for? Its up to him..NOW.

November 19th, 2012 8:38 am

“NO NAME.”..being angry takes a toll on my spelling.

November 19th, 2012 8:40 am

mbabco, I agree with you. I never said McKenzie or Allen should go. I would give them plenty of time. They inherited a very bad team. You and I are in total agreement. What is troubling to Davis — and to me — is that the Raiders have regressed the past three games. But again I have no judgment that Allen is a bad coach. I just don’t know.

November 19th, 2012 8:42 am

So I guess you are no longer asking for patience with the Raiders?

November 19th, 2012 8:43 am

7. glenellen

since were changing subjects:
    here we go w/ Keapernick tonight.

November 19th, 2012 8:43 am

Dennis, I wonder how well you read things. Do you read in a hurry? How is your reading comprehension? I pointed out that Mark Davis feels there has been regression. I never said he should fire Allen or McKenzie. I certainly think each gets at least one more season.

November 19th, 2012 8:53 am

uh Lowell gotta disagree with your response to mbabco that Allen and McKenzie inherited a very bad team. 8-8 the last two seasons is not a very bad team. Going undefeated in the division two years ago iwith alot of the same players they have this year is not a very bad team. Missing the playoffs last year by one game with no running backs is not a very bad team. The defense they inherited was very bad but there’s alot of talent on the offense and its been wasted this season. Jon Gruden his first two years with the Raiders went 8-8 and then went to the playoffs after that. Mckenzie should of stayed the course that Al Davis laid out but instead trashed it by hiring an inexperienced head coach.

November 19th, 2012 9:19 am

10. Vijay

Lowell,

Great column once again. You and I are in agreement. Yes McKenzie and Allen inherited a mess and it’ll take time. But the point is we need to see progression and not “regression” like the last three weeks and that definitely falls on the coaches. Team is looking lost and yes the def are a paid of actors who have no clue what to do. First order of business in off season and I am sure you will agree is: Get rid of Seymour, Kelly and McClain and let’s see if we can trade and get rid of McFadden as well. His so called potential for 6 odd games is not worth having around. Next order of business is get rid of Lechler and Sea Bass. We don’t need the highest paid kickers and rather use that money elsewhere.

November 19th, 2012 9:58 am

11. Steve

Chris,

The Raiders of the past few years are older, slower, and/or chronically injured. Their QB is and always has been overrated. Among all the players on defense, there may not be one that would start on any other NFL team (most of them are showing up just to collect their game day paycheck). mbabco makes reasonable points, although I don’t envision Allen and McKenzie morphing into a reincarnation of Walsh, McKay and Policy. It could be that they’re overmatched. But it must be impossible to motivate and coach a bunch of players who obviously don’t care and lack any discernible talent.

November 19th, 2012 10:03 am

Dennis has been using a sharper needle lately I notice-lol. I must be a bad..or good? influence-hee.

November 19th, 2012 10:54 am

13. B-Rad

This will be their 10th successive non-winning season. That would be
    hard to do even if you were trying.

I was curious to see if the Raiders would revert to their unrestrained
    perpetuation of stupid, flagrant penalties once their season went in
    the dumper; credit Dennis Allen for keeping then in the middle of the
    pack at 19th in penalties/game.

The fact that they have been outscored in the 3rd quarter 123-34
    this season indicates that Allen and his staff aren’t as good at making
    half-time adjustments as the opposing coaches.

That Dennis Allen appears unconcerned on the sidelines as game after
    game gets out of hand, gives me the impression that he’ll be satisfied
    to be fired after 1 or 2 seasons, taking his remaining contract money
    and going back to defensive coordinating somewhere else.

November 19th, 2012 11:09 am

“Like I say, I’m patient. I’m patient,” he said patiently.
    Another classic Lowell Cohn line.
    It’s little touches like that that makes it so much fun to read your stuff.
    Hilarious!
    *ALOHA*

November 19th, 2012 11:44 am

Thanks, Kauai Robert.

November 19th, 2012 11:50 am

16. Loneraider78

Chris,

Are you hitting the big red button already?

You can’t knock Allen and McKenzie. They are trying to win with patchwork. McKenzie had to make moves that he may not have made if he were in a better situation, we may still have Kamerion Wimbley and Michael Bush at least. In a normal scenario you might have…you know….some draft picks. That would’ve been nice. Maybe even some extra money in a shoebox somewhere to sign a player or two, who may actually impact the team.

He had none of that.

Allen, well I can’t say I was thrilled he was hired. I mean, who the heck is he? Some secondary coach who was a DC for a season?? It really made no sense to me. Hue jackson has a longer resume and more pedigree than Allen. But I’ve accepted it. And all things considered the jury is still out.

We have to let them do their jobs, just like Mark Davis is doing. Like he said “they’re under contract, they’ll be here”

Would everything be going better if Hue were still here? Who knows, but I doubt it. This roster is just not good. Shaky slow OL, RBs that can’t stay healthy, young WRs that just haven’t “got it” yet. QB that makes as many bad throws as good ones. And the defense is too flawed to even waste the time.

Give it time, some draft picks and some cap room to go get that grade A OT or that top LB.

November 19th, 2012 7:17 pm