Alex Smith did not satisfy the necessary neurological protocols and now Colin Kaepernick will start tonight against the very good Bears defense. It will be interesting to see him operate. I wonder if he will be better than Smith, the same, or worse. If he’s better and he wins I think we’re looking at a QB controversy.

Comments

1. RednGold1

Yes, I think we are looking at a qb controversy already.
    Btw, Grant scooped you on this by quit a bit. Are you proud of him? A proud Papa? I wthink you are.

November 19th, 2012 9:17 am

2. glenellen

If the line can block for him it will be fun to see. On his runs he needs to know when to go into his slide or he will get wacked good and we will see Scott Tolzien.

November 19th, 2012 9:22 am

RednGold1, Thanks for your kind comment. Yes, Grant scooped me. He always was skeptical that Smith would start and I am proud of him for being so professional.

November 19th, 2012 9:23 am

This game feels like one of those ’3 and out’ festivals that you get when two dominant defenses meet two compromised offenses. Maybe 10 – 6 or something like that. Might not be a ratings hit. I just hope Kaep doesn’t turn the ball over as much as I think he will against this team.

This game is crucial and may well decide the all important #2 playoff seed. I’m very surprised Alex is not playing.

November 19th, 2012 9:34 am

5. Bob In Portland

I only wish that Alex Smith hadn’t run over your dog seven years ago, Lowell.

November 19th, 2012 9:45 am

6. NeverWrong

This game will bust wide open. All the talent on the 49er offense takes it into the home stretch.

November 19th, 2012 9:55 am

Bob in Portland, I have a cat. Happy Thanksgiving.

November 19th, 2012 10:17 am

8. Steve

The only way this becomes a QB controversy is if the media fans the flames of the fans. I suspect Harbaugh & Co will not fall prey to this nonsense. Regardless of how he performs tonight, if he were to supplant Smith it wouldn’t be long until Kaepernick is exposed. Once DCs get enough film on him, they will game plan to his many weaknesses (due to inexperience) and the Niners will be lucky to make the playoffs, especially with their upcoming schedule. All Niner fans should hope that Smith recovers sufficiently to assume his starting role, not to mention his health.

November 19th, 2012 10:17 am

9. Brandon Conway

What Steve said.

Considering Kaep had two fumbles that SF recovered in half a game last week against a Rams team that does not get turnovers, I’m thinking 2-3 turnovers against the ball-stealing Bears tonight.

November 19th, 2012 11:12 am

If Kaepernick is better and he wins the 49ers will take a much longer look at him in training camp next year. That is all that will happen. You don’t replace your starting qb, with whom you are leading your division, just because the 2nd string qb has one good game. Now if Smith is out for three games and Kaepernick plays really great on a consistent basis and the team responds to him you might have a controversy. But please, one game, no chance.

November 19th, 2012 11:20 am

11. Jim Bancroft

I doubt very much that Kaepernick will have a good game. The controversy should end there, though only because we don’t have any good QBs. (Maybe Scott Tolzien should get a shot.)

Kaepernick has the physical tools but gets happy feet under pressure and doesn’t make wise throws in general– combustible mix. Alex Smith, hardly my favorite QB of all time, at least doesn’t force passes. I have to say that for him.

November 19th, 2012 12:22 pm

12. jimmy

Good luck to Kaepernick. Your first start will be against that vaunted Bears D. The real question here should be who backs up Kaepernick tonight. They might see some action before the night is over.

November 19th, 2012 12:22 pm

13. russell

Steve – you are already incorrect about falling “prey to this nonsense”. Harbaugh would not commit to his starter after the game, not exactly a ringing endorsement for Alex. If that isn’t “controversy” then please tell me what is. Kap looked good, if not great. Bears D looked like pretenders and that is credit to the 49ers and Kapernick.

November 19th, 2012 9:12 pm

14. Abel

There’s no controversy. Kap showed tonight that this is his team now. You see the smile on Harbaugh’s face after the game? He knows he found his QB moving forward.

November 19th, 2012 9:16 pm