Sandy Barbour said one of the reasons she fired Jeff Tedford is his low graduation rate of football players. Really? If Cal had won the Pac-12 North do you think she would have cared about the graduation rate? It’s debatable.

Comments

1. NeverWrong

Giving that as the reason for firing him shows she doesn’t have any guts. What a bogus claim. Statisticians would have a ball doping out why the graduation rate is low. Tedford’s reputation all along has been exemplary in this regard, for getting players to be serious about their school responsibilities. If this is a mark of her character, to use the most specious reason possible to make her case, then she shouldn’t be a leader at Cal, and ought to be fired herself. We already know she can’t speak English correctly, if the news quotes today are accurate.

November 20th, 2012 8:26 pm

I don’t know the lady but in a schools with high academic standards such as Stanford and Berkeley I would assume that graduation rates would be scrutinized.

November 20th, 2012 8:55 pm

3. Jack Hammer

Not a chance.

November 20th, 2012 10:28 pm

If he won the Pac-12 north or just more game than he lost we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

November 20th, 2012 11:04 pm

5. Steve

Coming soon to a legislature near you: Sandy Barbour.

November 21st, 2012 12:35 am

6. Sean Nolan

Good on you Lowell, calling that BS out.

November 21st, 2012 12:36 am

7. John

“NeverWrong” got it right. Barbour said economics were a “consideration.” Please!

Tedford’s record with regard to the importance of academics is well documented. For example, when Cal played Maryland on the east coast a fews years back, they had a 12 noon kickoff. Citing the need to attend class, Tedfor refused to take the team out a day early to allow them to adjust to the time change. In essence, Cal played a game with a 9 AM kickoff. They lost.

Also if you recall, Tedford bused the team down to LA for the UCLA game rather than flying. He said he could save the University about $100,000 by doing it. Of course, the move was largely symbolic, but it showed he was sensitive to the econonmic crisis facing the University.

Barbour also said Tedford was a “good man.” At least she got that right.

My mother took me to my first Cal game when I was 8 yrs old. She told me that rooting for the Bears wasn’t about winning. It was more important than that. It was about being proud of the University. Now for the first time, I’m ashamed of it.

November 21st, 2012 7:47 am

I would bet over the years,more then once Sandy had thought “As Ted goes, so do I”..only now that Ted’s gone,she’s fighting to stay..hence the ed crack she made.

November 21st, 2012 8:52 am

9. gary

How often can an athletic director kiss off
    6.7 million dollars before she gets fired?

The graduation rate has not been an issue
    when Cal makes a bowl appearance.

November 21st, 2012 9:12 am

But,I think..Tedford was like so many young Athletes who get the big paycheck..”I’ve made it”. Older,..and the money did the exact same thing to him,ended any motivation to excel. I once posted that I never see him throw his headphones down lately like he did the first few years at Cal. He also seemed too blase about poor performances..making excuses for the player in question. So many signs he lost it..letting assistants go..the poor QB recruiting was a killer.
    The selling of his mega mansion in summer sure seems like a reduction in living the high life..like he knew his recruits weren’t going to take him anyplace. Time to make the savings money last much longer…

November 21st, 2012 9:39 am

11. Jim Bancroft

I liked Tedford, and it’s remarkable how short alumni memories are regarding where the team was in 2001 and what Jeff walked into and what he did with it.

But, that said, the team had been drifting for several years and the last half of this season was almost pathetic– the jaw dropping blowout losses week after week. There’s no way I could see Tedford turning things around after those morale-killing debacles.

It’s too bad, because I don’t see Cal getting a better coach. If not for those lemon-sucking losses this year Tedford would likely have gotten another shot in 2013. He won’t starve at least. Thanks for the memories Jeff and best of luck in future endeavors.

November 21st, 2012 10:06 am

12. Frank in Minnesota

I have no doubt that winning is important, but I do have to believe that the low graduation rate is also a symptom that Coach has been slipping….and I do believe the graduation rate IS important to CAL…….

November 21st, 2012 10:41 am

13. Kommon Senze

FWIW – Here are Cal’s graduation rates in Football for the ‘cohort’ years of 1999 to 2005 (this is the year they first matriculated into school – schools usually give athletes up to 6 years to complete their degree for computation):

1999 – 44%
    2000 – 52%
    2001 – 53%
    2002 – 64%
    2003 – 65%
    2004 – 54%
    2005 – 48%

They did climb initially for the first few classes that were fully under Braun’s tenure, but they have fallen off in the past couple seasons. It may sound like an empty rationale, but Barbour can actually point to data showing why this may have been a concern. However, this runs counter to the reason she gave for firing Ben Braun a few years ago.

Here are the numbers for the Cal Basketball program over the same period:

1999 – 38%
    2000 – 33%
    2001 – 30%
    2002 – 20%
    2003 – 30%
    2004 – 33%
    2005 – 50%

Those graduation rates were always much, much lower than those of Tedford’s program (note the 2005 class actually were calculated against the 2011-2012 season, which was the third under Montgomery’s watch, not Braun).

At the time, Barbour made no mention of the performance in the classroom, however. Per a quote from an article on ESPN at the time of Braun’s firing:

“Ultimately, the bottom line is we just didn’t win enough basketball games,” Cal athletic director Sandy Barbour told the Associated Press. “I believe this is a very talented team and I believe they underperformed. … It concerns me not to put the student-athletes in position to have outrageous success.”

While I do think that graduation rates are a concern for the institution at large, it does sound like a convenient excuse made to avoid trampling on the grave of the man who helped bring Cal a new football stadium.

November 21st, 2012 12:46 pm

14. Kommon Senze

Oop. Above, I meant to say “they climbed for the first few years under Tedford’s tenure”

November 21st, 2012 12:47 pm

Are coaches the only ones responsible for player’s graduation rates?
    How about the responsibilty of the instructors or perhaps…uhhhh…the students themselves???
    Am I taking crazy pills or what?!
    *ALOHA*