Please help me here. In the offseason the Niners braintrust took a look at Peyton Manning and either were or were not interested in signing him. Alex Smith was a free agent and met with Miami. Did Miami ever make him a solid contract offer? I’m not sure. I don’t believe anyone else did. So, Smith, an alleged elite QB, either got one or no offers before he scurried back to the Niners after Manning signed with Denver — not that the Niners ever were interested in Manning.

Comments

1. htwaits

Very revealing post Lowell. It saddens me that you are so quick to “scurry back” to this type of writing.

November 21st, 2012 10:37 pm

2. Mitchell Chang

YOU DON’T LIKE ALEX SMITH. Yes we all get it. I will say this, I admire the guy for taking a beating from his own team and the press with class. You proved your point. Thing is I remember when he beat New Orleans you actually praised him and said something to the effect that we should stop questioning him or something. Seems you can’t take your own advice.

November 21st, 2012 10:39 pm

3. htwaits

Harbaugh called Alex an elite quarterback over half way through the 2011 season. Alex may not be an elite quarterback, but his reputation is significantly better than it was during the time he was a free agent. Of course you already know that. Sad.

November 21st, 2012 10:41 pm

4. htwaits

“In the offseason the Niners braintrust took a look at Peyton Manning and either were or were not interested in signing him.”

Isn’t there a significant qualifier missing from your intro sentence? Like maybe 2011. Sad.

November 21st, 2012 10:46 pm

5. Orlando

True, but I don’t think NFL teams thought Alex was truly available and he could be a starter for a handful of teams if he’s made available. Arizona for one…maybe Buffalo, Jets, Philly, KC or Jax.

November 21st, 2012 10:48 pm

6. Jumbo Shrimp

It’s mean to use a word more fitting for a rat than a human when describing a guy who has acted so respectably. I know he made a lot of dough by signing a #1 DP contract, but I’ve never seen him scurry. Much more ratlike was our last coach who had zero honor at all.

November 21st, 2012 11:13 pm

7. htwaits

I agree Orlando.

But I also think that there is no way another team would have offered Alex any more money than he was able to get from the 49ers, given his track record. I think that Harbaugh expected to get a short term place holder while he brought Kaepernick up to NFL standards. Smith’s contract makes that clear.

The 2011 season turned out to be way beyond Harbaugh’s expectations. Then, in an emergency, there is Kaepernick having a fantastic game.

Smith hasn’t been cleared for the Saints game and Kaepernick needs all the preparation he can get to go into that dome and face a high powered offense. He will also face a much more complex defense that the one the Bears ran against him Monday night. I expect the 49ers will run more against the Saints than they did against the Bears. They just need to get touchdowns instead of field goals.

Enjoy. All this is why the NFL can be, at times, fascinating.

November 22nd, 2012 12:54 am

@Orlando…If Skelton of Arizona and Smith traded places the Cardinals would never win a game.

November 22nd, 2012 1:06 am

I am sure all those other NFL teams are just drooling for when Alex Smith is truly available..
    Peyton Manning turned down the Niners . Right now he is busy leading the AFC West Division leading Broncos into the playoffs.
    For the record…when Smith beat the Saints in the playoffs Lowell posed the question as to whether Smith could play that well against the Giants or was his great perfomance just a fluke. We sure found out didn’t we?

November 22nd, 2012 1:29 am

10. Tommy CostaRica

Good point Lowell! Actually he’s been available for years so just because he became a free agent, nobody raised their hand in class to claim him……..

November 22nd, 2012 7:35 am

11. htwaits

If there was an edit feature in these blogs, I could go back and correct my comments that Alex Smith was a free agent in 2011. Instead I can only blame it on increased loss of brain cells, and the late posting hour.

November 22nd, 2012 11:11 am

12. Streetglide

Dead horse redux…

November 22nd, 2012 11:56 am

13. Bob In Portland

What was the name of your dog that Alex ran over, Lowell?

Yes, Alex Smith was never the reincarnation of Joe Montana. Under Harbaugh he’s been very serviceable and could have won the Super Bowl last year if Williams hadn’t lost two kicks in the wind and rain.

Who would want the third-rated QB in the league with the highest completion rating? I’d guess Smith’s value is up this year considering the field out there. Start looking at the starters and you’ll see plenty of place where he’d be an upgrade.

If Harbaugh does go with Kaepernick the rest of the way (and I’d love to see it) that doesn’t necessarily mean that Smith’s days with the Niners are through. I’d love to see them hold onto him for another year or two. He’d be great insurance.

And sorry about the dog, Lowell.

November 22nd, 2012 12:18 pm

14. Port

It shows how good a QB coach Harbaugh really is that Smith had such a high QB rating ( 3rd highest in the league ! ) The fact is , he can’t throw a ball over 20 yards. Harbaugh made sure he never had to throw it that far !

January 21st, 2013 8:34 pm