Just got back from Skyfall and I loved it. Mrs. Cohn Zohn did too. I think it’s the best Bond movie ever made. It harkens back to the past movies in lots of nice ways but also is very contemporary. Lots of plot surprises and excellent acting and the movie looks simply great.

Comments

1. Phil Brown

I’d like to see the current Bond-Craig-in a movie that was close to the books, set in the 50s.
    He drives a gray Bentley and he’s a brutal killer beneath the polished facade.
    The film of Moonraker is so far from the book that it would make a good start.

November 23rd, 2012 4:09 pm

2. RednGold1

I saw it with my 12 year old son the other day. I liked it because it brought back things from the past. He liked it for the reasons he should: things blowing up, things crashing down, things bigger than life. My son also likes it when the good guy comes out on top. And you know going in 007 must survive or there could be no more sequels. We both enjoyed it a lot.

November 23rd, 2012 4:34 pm

3. lameduck

Do you think Daniel Craig looks Polish? Still, this was an all time great Bond movie.

November 23rd, 2012 7:08 pm

4. Jumbo Shrimp

Best of all time, huh? That’s high praise. Got a date with my old mom to see it, her request. Think it might be worth splurging on IMAX or no?

November 23rd, 2012 10:36 pm

5. petey

That’s because it’s directed by a real director, Sam Mendes, not an action choreographer. He did American Beauty and a few other good films.

November 24th, 2012 12:41 am

6. Bob In Portland

While I’ve enjoyed Craig as Bond I have to admit that he doesn’t seem like he’s having lots of fun. It may have to do with the times. With “Skyfall” we get to find out a little more behind what makes a double-O.

As the review in The New Yorker describes, the villain Javier Bardem is “a cross between Julian Assange and Andy Warhol”. He’s an ex-agent with issues with his boss, “M” (Judi Dench). As the story unspools we get a peek into Bond’s psychological relationship with M too. At one point M tosses out that orphans make the best agents, and we find out that Bond is an orphan.

Director Sam Mendes brings back the dark claustrophobic “date-with-destiny” vibe that he created in “Road To Perdition” (which had a much younger Daniel Craig playing a very different character). Early on Bond emerges from what should have been his death as a borderline alcoholic. Later in the film when the Bond character returns to Skyfall (his family estate in Scotland) it’s a bleak landscape in a Harry Potter-ish way, except instead of magic spells it’s high tech ordinance.

The movie’s got the usual James Bond stuff: a chase scene across roofs in Istanbul (only on motorcycles), a new brassy song (sung by Adele), a bad Bond girl who dies.

There’s a hot new Moneypenny. There is a great fight scene in a pit while a Komodo Dragon looks on and flicks its tongue, and there is a magnificently filmed scene in a high-rise that is so stylized that it borders on artistic.

If you like Bond movies you’ll like this one. A little less silly than past ones, a little more psychological. I think I even saw a tear on Bond’s face at one point. Maybe James Bond grows up.

November 24th, 2012 11:36 am

7. Pat

Nah, Craig looks like a Russian KGB agent.

“Dr. No” and “Goldfinger” were the two best.

November 24th, 2012 12:25 pm

8. B-Rad

It passed my personal SAT (Stay Awake Test).

November 24th, 2012 1:21 pm

Saw it yesterday. I didn’t like it at all. It was a Jason Bourne movie, but not as good. I go to see Bond movies to be amused. This one did not amuse. Javier Bardem carried the show. He was brilliant. Best bad guy ever, but the movie over all is in the bottom 5 for me.

B-Rad – I love the SAT test. That is my test as well but never thought of it that way. Thank you.

November 25th, 2012 8:45 am

Plus they wasted the Bond girl! What’s up with that?

November 25th, 2012 8:47 am

11. Dave T

Lowell, I am with you. I thought the film was brilliantly done. From acting, to cinematography to the sound. It was truly a bridge from past to present. Gracefully transitioning from the M character played so well by Judi Dench over 7 Bond films (with two different Bond actors) including the “reboot” of the franchise with Casino Royale, to what many of us equated to the “Bond” look and feel with Ralph Fiennes taking over the reigns, the old school classical office, Moneypenny as his asistant and so on. The film as much said it was just that at the end, when Fiennes’ M character as Bond if he was ready to go back to work, and Bond said in effect, yes. I would expect that the next film will pick up the pursuit of Mr. White and his organization, where we left off in Quantum of Solace. Just a guess, but that was the feel I got, bringing the new, back to the old.

November 28th, 2012 1:36 pm