Grant and I had a horrifying experience last night. We are staying at a deluxe hotel in New Orleans near the French Quarter. I won’t mention the hotel’s name. We had gone out to dinner at Commander’s Palace, just a great restaurant, and we walked around the Garden District and cabbed it back to the hotel and had a glass of wine and finally went up to our room, a lovely room with two double beds. We were in our pjs and in bed when alarms started sounding. A loud speaker in our room told us to proceed to the stairs — not the elevator — and immediately go downstairs. We were on the 17th floor. We threw on some clothes and shoes and left our room, but an external door had closed and we were locked in.

This was the setup. For some reason our room and another were in a little alcove off the main hallway. If the outer door to the alcove got closed someone on the outside would need a key card to open it. We could not open it from the inside because the doorknob fell off.

We were scared of dying in a fire. I dashed back into the room and called the front desk. The person told me it was a false alarm, some moron had pulled the fire alarm and locked our external door. So we were safe. I told the person we still needed access to the main corridor and the elevators. They sent up an engineer who got the door open in about ten minutes. I said I wanted another room. I did not want to go through that again. They had no rooms with double beds, so Grant and I slept together in a king bed. No big deal. But the whole thing was upsetting.

Comments

1. lameduck

Welcome to New Orleans, Grant…
    What a pain to change rooms. I bet you are in a great mood today…Hopefully you can sleep on planes. Maybe it’s time to try that 5 hour energy drink.
    Hang in There!

November 25th, 2012 9:25 am

lameduck, We are in a good mood. We’re alive and we’re about to see a very interesting game. But, gee, that was scary.

November 25th, 2012 9:30 am

3. RednGold1

You shouldn’t have let ‘em know you cover the Niners.

November 25th, 2012 9:37 am

Hmm. and late last night Jim Harbaugh was seen in a hoody with a allen wrench..like the kind that you need to attach a door knob…He had a maniacal smile..

November 25th, 2012 10:15 am

5. Tony Johnson

I guess you weighed the pros and cons of divulging the hotel’s name before deciding not to do so.While on one hand you perform a public safety service, on the other, you won’t hurt the hotel’s business, and don’t become complaining customer using a sports journalist megaphone. The hotel’s response showed an exercise of best practices for the non-threat situation. They sent an engineer right up after informing you there was no fire. And they afforded you access to a new room to allay your concerns. You still alerted the entire industry about how not to scare future occupants. Yet the question remains – did the hotel fix its potential deathtrap situation? The hotel owes you a free suite in the next Superbowl they host.

November 25th, 2012 12:09 pm

6. Phil Brown

I spent the mid and late 60s as a rock and roll roadie and the first thing I did when I got to my hotel room was figure out the escape routes.
    Just paranoid, I guess.

November 25th, 2012 12:23 pm

That “death trap” is full of mayhem. I would not be going back there . I like the suggestion about planning an escape rout next time….at another hotel!

November 25th, 2012 5:46 pm

8. B-Rad

That was horrifying.
    No way that I’d pay more than one-half of the room rate
    for that night, even if the PD picks up your tab.
    A classy hotel would have the manager contact you,
    apologize profusely and comp you for the night. If
    that doesn’t happen, you can do better elsewhere in N.O.

November 25th, 2012 6:21 pm