It is such a sad story, the Chiefs’ Jovan Belcher murdering his girlfriend, then committing suicide in front of Chiefs’ coaches. It is unimaginable. I still think the Chiefs and Panthers should play on Sunday. Please don’t think I am insensitive. Both teams should suit up and play. You cancel games, I believe, only for a national tragedy or something of that magnitude — you could define that kind of tragedy any way you like. What would you do if you had the power to order the teams to play or not to play?

Comments

1. Dr. Feelgood

Same rule throughout the entertainment industry; The Show Must Go On. There’s really no viable business option.

The motivation and abject despair that must be felt to end ones life and destroy a family, is unimaginable to me. So very, very sad.

December 1st, 2012 4:28 pm

2. Ben

my question is what would they do if they do indeed decide to cancel the game? is it to be made up at a later date, or does each team play a 15 game season? and maybe this is insensitive to even bring up, but god forbid this guy had head injury issues that contributed. equally sad if he had correctable issues with depression that could have been held in check with medication… unless you’re in a macho line of work where taking said medication is looked upon as a weakness. sad any way you cut it.

December 1st, 2012 4:28 pm

Whats not right is that the HC and GM would attend the game. Its a total lack of respect and winning and money above all else.
    Not too mention any normal minded person would need some time to get over a death right in front of them.
    This isn’t play for the Gipper or Brian’s last song…

December 1st, 2012 4:30 pm

4. JohanKnaven

Don’t have an answer to your question, but eerily similiar to the end of Kansas City great Jim Tyrer. Wonder how many people do this but we never hear about it because they aren’t famous. Real shame

December 1st, 2012 4:45 pm

5. Albert Park

I agree with Dr. Feelgood: “The Show Must Go On”.

December 1st, 2012 5:21 pm

6. lameduck

Play with respect and silence.

December 1st, 2012 9:06 pm

7. petey

Or how bout we leave it up to those affected if they should play or not. If the Chiefs organization feels they need time to grieve, then postpone. If they want to play, play. We have no idea what’s going on inside that organization and community.

December 2nd, 2012 12:37 am

I say Crennel coaching the next day is like some bad movie stereotype of a coach who only cares about winning and his job.
    Only this is very real.

December 2nd, 2012 11:54 am

9. Ryder

Isn’t the more relevant question about the viable continuation of the NFL as a sport without knowing more about how brain injuries and their treatment (or lack of) contribute to such behavior? I don’t know if you follow such things, but this is the question being posed in non sports blogs. For example:

“The Death Knell For Football? Ctd
    by Andrew Sullivan
    Another story with disturbing implications for the NFL:

Kansas City Chiefs linebacker and former Long Island high-school star Jovan Belcher was allegedly battling football-related head injuries and booze, painkiller and domestic problems when he snapped and murdered his girlfriend before killing himself in front of two coaches Saturday.

TNC says what needs to be said. Money quote:

We don’t know what happened. We will never know what happened to Junior Seau. For me, that was the problem. The NFL has never been a reliable arbiter on player safety and brain injury. I don’t want to sit around with my beer and wings on Sunday and wonder whether my pastime contributed to the murder of a young mother and the orphaning of a little girl. I’m just not up for it.

When will that view become more widespread? And can the NFL adapt?”

December 3rd, 2012 8:47 am