Here is the opening to my Sunday column about the Raiders:

Be patient with the Raiders. That has been the message of this column, and it continues to be, although now there are wrinkles. Wrinkles emerge.

Before addressing the wrinkles, let’s go over the patience part. Rookie general manager Reggie McKenzie and rookie head coach Dennis Allen inherited a disastrous roster, thanks to Al Davis. You know all about that. Last season’s head coach Hue Jackson, mostly a blowhard, did better with this bad roster, and that should be troubling — and is troubling — to owner Mark Davis, although Davis will give McKenzie and Allen time to improve things. They deserve time.

To read the full column click here.

Comments

1. lameduck

Someday I’ll watch a Raiders game and there won’t be any penalties or fights.

December 1st, 2012 9:17 pm

OK, not to not argue with you, I agree with everything you said about Allen. He is the exact opposite of Harbaugh. I thought that from the very beginning. He doesn’t look or sound like a head coach. He looks and sounds like he is in over his head. He reminds me of Jason Garret of the Cowboys. They could be twins. Garret should be gone this year and Allen will be next year. They don’t have enough talent and even worse, they keep getting rid of players, without replacing them. It is going to take a lot longer to refill that roster than Allen has. Maybe longer than McKenzie has too.

December 1st, 2012 10:27 pm

there you go again Lowell, unfairly trashing AL Davis and Hue jackson who did a great job on the offensive side of the ball in his rookie season as a coach, leading the Raiders to just one game from a playoff berth. Mckenzie and Allen ruined eveything positive Hue and AL had going because they dont know what they’re doing at this stage of their careers. Terrible for the fans who pay their hard earned money to be subjected that when the team had generated interest under AL Davis the last two seasons with sellouts.

December 1st, 2012 10:45 pm

4. Steve

I was a proponent of patience, but you’ve convinced me to think otherwise of Allen. I know he has virtually nothing to work with and I totally agree with you about the players that need to be cut loose. But he seems like the perfect coordinator, sitting by himself in the booth concocting plays, not head coach material. I’ve never been impressed with Knapp either. I think McKenzie deserves time and the benefit of the doubt, but I’d hire Jack Del Rio as my head coach.

December 1st, 2012 11:09 pm

5. Steve

In the last 7-9 years both Frank Gore and Steven Jackson have played for bad coaches and mediocre teams. I defy anyone to find a moment in either of their great careers that they had trouble “buying into the system”. They kept their mouths shut, they busted their asses every game, and you had to basically cripple them to get them off the field.

December 2nd, 2012 5:46 am

6. Frank in Minnesota

You might have something on Allen not being very deep…and his players must sense that…i think now is the time to see who will fight and play, no matter how talented they are…they are professionals,right? Keep those who play their hearts out…and get rid of the waste, and see if Allen progresses or not…

December 2nd, 2012 7:42 am

Did you delete my “Allan is Wally Peepers” post?

And “disastrous” ?…they won 16 games in two years,just missing the playoffs.

I vote “no confidence” in Allan and Reg right now. And so do most of the players it looks like.

December 2nd, 2012 8:23 am

Stan, I didn’t delete you. Did it not get posted?

December 2nd, 2012 9:06 am

9. mbabco

Lowell, you can’t compare the record of Hue Jackson to Dennis Allen in a meaningful way. It’s not the same team. At the start of the year, 24 of 53 players from 2011 weren’t on the roster – that’s a 45% turnover.

“Nearly half of Raiders 2011 roster no longer on team”

December 2nd, 2012 9:09 am

10. Dr. Feelgood

The Raiders hold little interest for me although I wish them well, being a Bay Area team. Your article reminded me of two recent coaches whose demise could be traced, in part, to their lack of effective communication and leadership skills; Nolan and Singletary.
    My impression of Nolan was that he bungled Alex Smith’s injury, alienating the QB and the team. I believe he “had” the team for two years, and then frittered it away.
    Singletary was a mirage of a coach. His glory days were as a player and he coached as if he were a player, not Head Coach. Has there ever been a hire more totally unprepared to assume that role?
    The troubling aspect is that those deficiencies are rarely correctable within the current work environment. Allen may one get it all right, but it won’t be with the Raiders.

December 2nd, 2012 9:39 am

I post so much..even I forget where I said something..

December 2nd, 2012 10:49 am

I agree with Steve……..the Raiders shoulduv hired a coach with NFL experience like Del Rio………..but Reggie wanted “his guy”. He obviously didn’t know who “his guy” was because Allen is clearly not NFL head coach material. Nobody’s going to play for a guy that looks 15 years old and never played the game. Everyone criticized Hue Jackson after the San Deigo game last year for saying that his players didn’t do their jobs……..well Reggie Mckenzie said the exact same this week about his team.

December 2nd, 2012 1:08 pm

13. Capts

I am still unconvinced about Allen as well, but remember Gruden gave the most boring post game quotes his first year, Shanahan looks un “coach” like. I’ve heard Allen say that he keeps most of his thoughts for the team’s ears only.

December 2nd, 2012 3:36 pm