If you were running the 49ers which quarterback would you start next week, Alex Smith or Colin Kaepernick? I’m serious about this. I would love to hear from d harte on this one to get things kicked off with a bang.

Comments

1. RZ

Can we start a different coach? I was a real Harbaugh supporter, but now I’m looking for a new team to follow. Roman needs to go.

December 2nd, 2012 1:47 pm

2. Fudgehammer

Kaepernick all the way. The 49ers game play calling today led to Kaepernick’s mistakes and occasional ineffectiveness.
    What kind of horse-bleep call was that pitch to Ginn? Especially at that time of the game, and in that part of the field? Idiotic. Even if executed properly, it probably doesn’t lead to a first down. And if Delanie “manos de piedra” Walker makes that TD catch with 2 mins to go, it’s probably game over. And Akers ? What more can you say about him. He was great last year but he’s slumping and it cost the team two wins. I thought Kap made some great clutch throws to get first downs today, and this loss shouldn’t be put on his shoulders. Rams caught some breaks and the 49ers didn’t play their best game. Tough to win on the road in the NFL, against any team.

December 2nd, 2012 1:50 pm

3. Brandon Conway

Smith. This team cannot afford major mistakes on offense that lead to easy points. Smith may not have the pizzazz of a Kaeprnick but he doesn’t lead to the other team scoring 10 pts on defense that allows for a loss, either.

Kaep will be a solid QB someday, but getting his lumps with 4-8 games left in the season is a major risk. Young QBs have bad games. This is a given.

December 2nd, 2012 1:50 pm

4. Timbo

Smith.

December 2nd, 2012 1:54 pm

5. Seth

They should start Smith but they won’t. Harbaugh has gone all in with Kaepernick.

December 2nd, 2012 2:06 pm

6. mbabco

Smith. The way the 49ers are designed they can’t afford the kind of mistakes CK made today: safety (bad call by refs but he should never have been in the end zone), bad pitch to Ginn, running out of bounds before the 49ers kicked their last field goal. CK’s got the potential to be better at some point: there’s a lot of learning from a lot of mistakes before that happens.
    - –
    That being said, there’s lots more blame to go around today: play-calling, penalties, refs made bad calls (seems like every week), Walker dropping the TD pass, Akers. Amazing how the 49ers can look unbeatable one week and so terrible the next.

December 2nd, 2012 2:12 pm

7. Larry Rowe

We should of never benched Smith. I think Smith would of won both these game.

I am excited for CK7 but come on he really messed up. I hate gimmick plays.

December 2nd, 2012 2:13 pm

8. Greg

Kaepernick as said above this loss is on the shoulders of Harbaugh and Roman. They have been taken to the woodshed by Jeff Fisher twice now. That pitch play was one of the worst play calls I have ever seen. After the shanked punt in OT the Niners looked to be actually playing for the FG. I think the Niners coach may be the only ones that still think Akers is any good. When we got into the Red Zone the play calling was abysmal. The OL was terrible, two weeks in a row with bad run blocking and constant pressure on passes. And why do they continue to show confidence in Delanie “Drops” Walker? If that play had been to Vernon it would be a win right now, but that idiot Roman clearly has no ability to us Vernon the correct way. What a waste of Vernon’s talents. In total, Kaepernick wasn’t very good, but some much else was really responsible for this loss. Including the bogus safety.

December 2nd, 2012 2:17 pm

9. Kathy

If I were running the team I would’ve stuck with Smith for this game. Now Harbaugh has boxed himself in, he’ll have to start CK again or risk losing the faith of the team as being too capricious.

But I agree with dharte, it’s reckless to put the rookie in this late into the season, to learn the ropes and take his licks, when the Niners had a winning QB and a good shot at home field advantage.

Had Smith been losing or playing badly, it would be different, but Harbaugh took the gamble and now he’s got to ride it out.

December 2nd, 2012 2:18 pm

10. Steve

Maybe this game points to the real real reason Harbaugh made the switch to Kap, that he realized that the team just isn’t that good. That they probably can’t beat the Giants, and since Kap is the QB of the future, get him the experience now as opposed to waiting for next year.
    And please Cal, hire Greg Roman! Norv will be available. How can they get so much pressure on their QB and not attempt a single screen pass? How can he call a lateral in that situation? Why was the play before Akers FG attempt a pass play when a sack would have pushed back the FG attempt even further? Why on a play where they need to keep running time off the clock does he call that sweep thing with Kap, with the players momentum taking him toward the sideline? And don’t get me started on those stupid jumbo formations that get the announcers all orgasmic but gain positive yardage maybe 25% of the time….

December 2nd, 2012 2:25 pm

Smith. He should have started him today. Kaepernick has a lot of physical skills – the kind that lose games for you.

Like I said, he wasn’t that good against the Saints and he single hand-idly scored 8 points for the Rams. ( 6 pts on the touchdown and 2 pts on the safety.)

Kaepernick will be fine down the road, but we won’t get to the Super Bowl with him this year, if we get there at all. I am really worried about Gore. He is banged up and tired and Jacobs isn’t the answer.

December 2nd, 2012 2:30 pm

12. Dee Phiant

Let me see. 3 sacks, 1 safety, 1 turnover for a TD.
    If this had been Smith, he would be out of here in a hurry. He would have been lynched, with all those I told you so-sayers
    So is Kapper a keeper? THAT’s the real Q

December 2nd, 2012 2:33 pm

13. petey

Harbaugh suffers from something called hubris. He will no go back to Smith. He will not win a Super Bowl this year.

December 2nd, 2012 2:35 pm

14. Matt

Unbelievable how stupid some fans are…yes let’s go back to Smith????

Shame on you Lowell…you always go for the questions that feed the uninformed block head

December 2nd, 2012 2:35 pm

15. Andrew

End the experiment now. Smith please.

December 2nd, 2012 2:38 pm

16. John from San Mateo

Harbaugh overreached. The Forty Niners are a sound team and have demonstrated a proclivity for winning consistently with Smith. Better to be safe (Smith) than sorry (Kaepernick).

Unfortunately, Harbaugh is into himself and too intransigent to make the move back to Smith.

December 2nd, 2012 2:41 pm

17. Joe Sanchez

Kaepernick. Going back to Smith only furthers the QB controversy (unless they definitively stick with Smith for the rest of the season). The die’s been cast, and it’s time for Kaep to get in the on-the-job training before the postseason.

December 2nd, 2012 2:42 pm

18. Non-Bounty Contact

I watched this game from start to finish and I had the distinct impression Kaepernick’s performance was similar to an Alex Smith performance perhaps a bit more inefficient. This makes me wonder if the 49ers’ QB performance is a product of the coaching staff and supporting players. The question I have is what impact does Harbaugh have on a player’s upside? We hear how Harbaugh makes players better, but I question that line of thought now. Perhaps Harbaugh has a counter-productive impact on players and overall team performance. Do the players have to struggle through Harbaugh and his coaching staff to achieve a positive outcome? Is it possible the Peter Principle is in affect? Let’s watch the film on Harbaugh shall we?

December 2nd, 2012 2:42 pm

19. Steve

Although I admitted in a previous post that Kap looked to be a special talent, I supported Alex and maintained that he should serve out this season as the starter. Harbaugh has painted himself into a corner and I doubt his ego and stubbornness will allow him to make another change, barring injury to Kap. Kap did not look good, no matter how you spin it. The coaching staff didn’t appear to have a lot of confidence in him either. Where were all those long passes? Not only that, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Gore has a serious hand or wrist injury – twice he left the game holding his lower left arm. Kiss this season completely goodbye without Gore. Brandon Jacobs = one yard and a cloud of dust. Why isn’t LaMichael James being used? Because he tweeted something that Harbaugh didn’t like? I sense this team may be on the verge of falling apart, but I hope I’m wrong.

December 2nd, 2012 2:43 pm

I’m with Kathy…

Coach Harbaugh has a problem of his own creation…

Another problem is the running game…anybody notice Frank hanging a lifeless arm off his body late in the game…I don’t know if he started the game healthy but the man had some serious trouble late…they need another option…now…

Walker just can’t catch…and Roman still can’t get the ball to Davis…

Akers isn’t terrible…he just isn’t super human this season…

Thank heavens for Fangio and his guys…

December 2nd, 2012 2:43 pm

matt, i posted your comment with obvious edits. give me a break, please.

December 2nd, 2012 2:46 pm

22. eatmycumulous

Kaepernick didn’t drop the pass at the goal line in the 4th at then get called for holding at in the 4th quarter. Delaney Walker did! Walker sucks!

Kaepernick didn’t go conservative and play for a long FG with a slumping kicker. Har-tard did! Here we go again, 2 wins 1 loss again.

Is Jimmy in over his head?

December 2nd, 2012 3:09 pm

23. parnell

What those who endorsed the switch to Kaepernick seem to have missed is that while there are things CK can do that Alex Smith can’t you don’t just get everything Alex can do plus all the good things that CK can do.

Along with the switch at QB came a commitment to a young, big-play QB and what players like that do, especially when they’re inexperienced, is that they try to make a play when nothing is there.

Does anyone really think that Alex would have wound up in the end zone 22 yards behind the line of scrimmage on a busted pass play? We don’t have to guess, we have 29 recent games of Alex Smith playing conservatively, taking what the defense gives him, taking the sack when necessary or throwing the ball away when possible.

The 49ers had great field position on virtually every possession in the first half and did very little with it. Certainly the play calling had much to do with the lackluster offense but once again, the ‘game manager’ Alex Smith was often credited with getting the team into the right play at the line of scrimmage.

We can’t know without access to the calls but it seems likely that this was the kind of game that Alex Smith would have managed to an ugly 12-0 or 16-0 win.

I would start Smith next week but then I would have started him this week as well.

The philosophy that worked last year and most of this year was let your great defense give you good field position and then take advantage by not making mistakes and taking whatever points are available.

And could we please stop with the “Smith isn’t good enough to beat the Giants” hogwash. I don’t care what his stats were in the playoff game last year but if Kyle Williams hadn’t muffed the first punt the 49ers would certainly have won their second playoff game with Alex Smith at QB and would probably have won the Super Bowl.

December 2nd, 2012 3:10 pm

24. Ken

I have always been a believer that smarts and consistency is more valuable than athletic ability with high risk-high reward. Today proved that. This is the reason why Alex Smith should never have lost his job to CK. It’s the Tortoise and the Hare story.

December 2nd, 2012 3:33 pm

25. mendozaline

It doesn’t matter. As you pointed out Lowell, the 49ers play 2 good games followed by 1 poorly played game. They have done that for 4 triplets so far this season.

December 2nd, 2012 3:38 pm

26. ChaunceyMN

This ground’s been thoroughly plowed, it’s a debacle. It was all upside for each party by going with Alex. But, as others rightfully pointed out, Harbaugh is about Harbaugh, wants to be “genius”. It was an all-in at completely the wrong time. A real head-scratcher, which will possibly cost the season.

December 2nd, 2012 3:47 pm

27. Brent Peterson

Have to start Kaepernick; isn’t that what Lowell told us the past two weeks? Only a fool would start Smith, right Lowell?

December 2nd, 2012 3:56 pm

28. Streetglide

That was another terrible game plan… I’d stick with Colin and let him throw the friggin’ ball down the field…

December 2nd, 2012 4:06 pm

29. Phil Brown

I’m glad this happened now and not the first round of the playoffs. Colin was going to run up against a good, well coached defense sometime and better sooner than later.
    I hope both QB and coach learned a lot today. We sure did.
    Does this mean start Smith? Not yet.

December 2nd, 2012 4:21 pm

30. Dave

I think we know who Lowell thinks should start.

“Colin Kaepernick should be the 49ers’ starting quarterback and Alex Smith should not. Kaepernick must be the starter — it’s obvious — and if Jim Harbaugh goes back to Smith out of misplaced loyalty or just plain stubbornness, he is making the mistake of his life.”

- Lowell Cohn

December 2nd, 2012 4:50 pm

31. Jim Camara

CK7 should continue to start. Rams won all game long at the line of scrimage. Horrible play calling by coaching staff. Seemed like a game plan suited for Smith. Harbaugh you have a mobile quarterback with a cannon for an arm, use it. Biggest killer today was the mental mistakes. Ginn has to fall on that ball or knock it out of bounds. Goldson can not commit the roughing on Bradford late in game. Also no excuse for referee’s not knowing rules on safety penalty. All in all you can not lay this loss on Kap. He still gives the team best chance to win.

December 2nd, 2012 4:56 pm

32. Fansince77

Tolzien!
    Start him!
    I don’t see how you switch QBs on a SB contending team when the starter was actually playing well — within the offense you’ve installed since 2011.
    This is all hubris. I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t lose the locker room.

December 2nd, 2012 4:58 pm

33. Joe H.

Lowell, I’ve tried to follow your logic with the Kaepernick theory of being starter and can’t quite bring myself to buy into it at this time.

I’ve seen many a good play by CK, but to be honest, most of them are busted plays that CK just scrambles out of trouble.

I see a rookie. Not a bad QB, nor a major problem. I see an inexperienced QB in situations that get out of control real quick. Too quick sometimes.

I don’t see a qualitative advantage in C.K. over A.Smith at this time. If anything, Smith has more poise and knowledge of the game and that experience is what’s missing lately.

You just can’t win every game with fancy footwork or a strong arm, there’s so much more to it.

To be honest, the St. Louis Rams are a lot better team than their record indicates and they deserve a lot of credit. The 49ers have absolutely no lock on making the playoffs or Super Bowl bid at this time.

I think Harbaugh made a rookie manager mistake by naming Kaepernick starter. It has wiped out a tremendous amount of enthusiasm and energy Alex Smith had and I highly doubt either Kaepernick or Smith will deliver in the playoffs. Smith, if he starts or plays again, will not be playing to earn his job back. He knows its over and now he will be traded or leave town the minute the season is over. The sooner the better. That is a tragedy. Will Colin Kaepernick be the wunderkind we’ve all been waiting for? Maybe. I’m not holding my breath.

December 2nd, 2012 5:05 pm

34. Frank in Minnesota

CK has a great upside…but Smith did nothing to lose his job…he’s just not exciting, just efficient enough….really should go back to Smith……

December 2nd, 2012 5:13 pm

35. lflong9erfn

Laying this at the feet of CK is really dumb. Yes that was a horrible pitch but even a worse play call. Getting cute while backed up to your own goal line in a close game, wow! Does anyone really think AS breaks off a 50yd run? CK throws a perfect ball to DW for a winning td and he can’t make the catch. After a shanked punt we play for a long fg with a kicker who this yr is a crap shoot outside 30yds. We have a coaching staff with no stones!

December 2nd, 2012 5:18 pm

36. NR

—————————————–

Yeah you’re right he and his staff have made no one better. Things just happened to magically turn around last year on their own, it was pure coincidence it happened to be his first year as coach. Get real please

December 2nd, 2012 5:50 pm

37. Hacksaw

I must have watched a different game than the Smithers. To lay this loss on Kaepernick is crazy. Total team loss. Bad run game, Delanie Walker’s drops, Aker’s low confidence, poor game plan on offense, several drive killing holding calls, Goldson’s stupid penalty to put the Rams in field goal range at the end of regulation. Kaepernick had some mistakes, but he also made several hard throws Alex wouldn’t even attempt, was pretty good on third down, and made some big plays with his feet. I hope they stick with Kaepernick. If they don’t win the superbowl, it won’t because they didn’t have a hypeconservative check-down, sack taking quarterback.

December 2nd, 2012 6:09 pm

38. Randy

It seems reckless to turn over a Super Bowl caliber team to a relatively untested “rookie” in mid-season. If the 49ers think Kaepernick is the future, he could have been the starter next year and let Smith walk. As Steve Youngs says, unless Kap leads them to a win in the NFC Championship, it will have been a huge mistake. Whiy do we have to watch Kap go through growing pains in the middle of a championship run? Kap reminds me of a more gifted Tony Romo, but keep in mind, sometimes that type of play has its downsides, as we saw today. If you don’t think some players lost respect for Harbaugh — he basically told everyone, if you get injured, I don’t have your back, no matter who you are. All these distractions seem so unnecessary on an already great team that was cruising toward a home playoff berth. Why?

December 2nd, 2012 6:46 pm

39. George

Play calling, Walker, and Akers. Take your pick. I think Kaepernick played well, given the mahem in the backfield and no running game.

December 2nd, 2012 7:21 pm

40. K.G.

Harbaugh can’t go back to Smith, it would make him look “flakey.” Then the team might start second guessing Harbaugh, that would not be a good thing, at all.

What Harbaugh should have done was say that he was going to “stick with Kaepernick until Smith was cleared by the Doctors to play.” That would have given Coach some cover, if he had to make a switch-er-roo…imho.

December 2nd, 2012 7:51 pm

Kaep all the way,AS played in 4 lousy games this year, horrible in red zone and third downs, and get sacked with poor pocket ptesence, one game not going to change my mind on turbo kaep.

December 2nd, 2012 9:21 pm

42. Derek

Harbaugh said he’d go with “the guy with the hot hand”….Kaepernick’s hand seems to be cooling off; back to Smith, until he cools off–which he really hasn’t.

December 2nd, 2012 9:29 pm

43. loneraider78

I’ve been up and down this topic so I’ll just say, first CK is a great talent, but the timing of this was not ideal. Alex was playing consistent, getting more confident, and should’ve remained the starter.

As some here have said, in wasn’t all on CK in today’s game. So JH will start him another game, and if he struggles he’ll put Smith back in and see if his hand is hotter. Right?

December 2nd, 2012 9:34 pm

44. loneraider78

One thing I will say though, that Rams defense looked nasty. They’re starting to mirror the 9ers D.

December 2nd, 2012 9:38 pm

45. Dave T

If Harbaugh goes back and changes to Smith now, then pulls Smith for anything less than an injury, then he risks damaging the psyche of not just one, but two NFL QB’s. If he sticks it out with his choice in Kaepernick, and the team falters, he alienates one QB in Smith, Kaepernick feels the lumps and left to the wolves, the fans question Harbaugh and his abilities and his standoffish act begins to wear thin, and he potentially looses his lockerroom. If he goes back to Smith and sticks with him and they win, at least making he NFC Championship, Harbaugh saves some face and can play it off as trying to protect Smith and really letting him heal. If he sticks to Kaepernick, and they win, going just as far, then he has alienated Smith, who goes elsewhere in the offseason and he has his new franchise QB.
    My guess is he sticks with Kaepernick, for better or worse. And perhaps I will be proven wrong, but the Rams exposed the Niners not once, but twice, with strong solid defense. As did the Giants earlier in the season. As of right now the Niners win the NFC West, but they lose either the Division or the NFC Championship, on mistakes by a young QB with too much confidence or trying to do too much, and a veteran QB who knows how to win (Manning, Rodgers). Either way, it is a mess Harbaugh created all by himself.
    For the record, I start Kaepernick, take my wins, losses and all that goes with it. And if I am Harbaugh, I perhaps start to be a bit nicer with the media. When you win something, like a Tomlin, or Bellicheck, then you can be a little more gruff and standoffish, until then, might want to be a little more media savvy.

December 2nd, 2012 10:04 pm

46. Nancy R

I was at the 49ers Rams game in St. Louis. The only event worth noting was Kaep’s 50 yard lope down the field. He does look like an antelope on the Serengetti does he not? Was the 49ers offensive coordinator taking a nap? Or nursing a hang over? All they did was run down the middle. Or rather, not run down the middle and gain maybe 2. Kaep sure didn’t look great but neither did anyone else on the 49ers. Are they all in mourning for their pal Alex? Alex came out on the field once to talk to Kaep. Nice. The Rams fans went NUTS in the early 4th qtr. when the Ram got a penalty for roughing the passer. They kept replaying the scene, Kaep walking off like a ballerina, unscathed. Rams fans were going nuts. Their coach egging them on against the penalty. “Feel the Rage” was the Rams theme song and they willed their team to win. Niners didn’t deserve it. Great come back kick by the Rams rookie to win it. I left the stadium, high in my seat four rows form the ceiling in the inzone (an exciting verticle drop right on top of the field it seemed!) to be serenaded as a San Francisco Sissy, Thanks for coming, to which I said, “You’re welcome.” And then Rams fans added, “We’ll take Alex Smith.”

December 3rd, 2012 7:07 am

47. Nancy R

Kaep. Alex Smith already has one foot out the door. The team needs a clear decision by Harbaugh. “A house divided against itself cannot stand.”

December 3rd, 2012 7:22 am

48. Brady

The horrendous play in the fourth quarter showed exactly why the 49ers should have stayed with Alex Smith.

SF has one of the best run games in the league. They have a good special teams unit. And they have – by far – the best defense in the NFL. Why are you trying to get cute, late in a game that you’re leading by 8 points? Through 50 minutes their defense had not allowed a single point, so why not run a safe play, punt, and put it on your world class defense to stop a poor offense?

The Niners turned to Kaepernick because he has “big play” potential. In the NFL, “big play” means “high risk, high reward.” That’s great for most teams, but not for SF. I would start Kaepernick over Smith on the Jets, or the Saints, or some team that needs that big play to thrive on.

But a team this good on defense, and this good running the ball? You need a smart QB, who makes great pre-snap reads, completes passes at a high percentage, and doesn’t turn the ball over.

For as good as Kaepernick is (and I think he’s very good), the switch of QBs represents a change in philosophy; a change that they didn’t need.

December 3rd, 2012 8:24 am

49. ben

smith!!! harbaugh should be ashamed of himself..hes a fool!! he turned the niners from a super bowl contender to a development team. why would u change QBs after what smith has done for u? after what hes done for us and the team? smith would never get a safety, smith would never throw that pitch at that time. okay yea his arm isn’t as great as some fans want it..but whats better…the wins..or stats on a mans arms for us to see? i was not onboard w this from the beginning. the day after Ck7 started i went to Costco and bought an alex smith print..take the CK7

December 3rd, 2012 8:46 am

Nancy R, Did you go to Balaban?

December 3rd, 2012 8:51 am

51. Dee Phiant

Harbaugh should have played Alex for this game for the simple reason that now he is in a lose-lose situation.
    If he played AS until he made some REAL mistakes, he always had Kap as the backup. Right now he doesn’t have a legit back-up because now he will look like a flip/flop if were to start AS and as a loser if Kap falters again against Seattle.
    SB is getting farthe and farther away………….

December 3rd, 2012 10:00 am

52. NR

Alex smith has never hurt the team with a mistake here or there. He is the epitome of perfection. Harbaugh should be fired, he clearly can’t coach in the NFL.

Come on some of you people are so delusional it’s sickening

December 3rd, 2012 10:24 am

53. NR

Lets just focus on the bad, and yes the bad was bad, but not point out any of the impressive things Kaep did this game. The 13 play 94 yard drive that he made a ton of big throws, the fact that we’re a delanie walker dropped td pass away from talking about a 3 play, 80 yard td drive in response to the botched pitch, the great job on 3rd downs throughout. In the teams other losses this year, Alex smith didn’t exactly play mistake free football either guys. If you’re gonna talk about fairness in the QB situation then practice what you preach and call it both ways.

December 3rd, 2012 12:09 pm

54. Alex

Wow, seriously? With this prompt?

You were clamoring for Colin and he has a rough game, and all of a sudden its “WHO SHOULD START?!”

Go back and read your own articles. At least stay consistent. Man, what a joke.

December 3rd, 2012 12:21 pm

I read all the papers,heard all the talk shows,went over the internet. And the consensus is : Alex Smith would have played smarter. I agree.

December 3rd, 2012 12:26 pm

56. Nancy R

Not this time; I’ll give a full culinary report next time I go – seriously

December 3rd, 2012 6:43 pm

57. Kathy

@ NR, the Niners went 8-19 on 3rd downs, that’s not “a great job throughout.” It’s more like AS last year.

December 3rd, 2012 7:57 pm

it doesn’t really matter who starts at QB for the Santa Clara 49ers……clearly the 49ers are not going to win a Super Bowl with either Smith or Kap at QB this year. Kap’s style is high risk and is in the developmental stage for him and the offensive coordinator, while Alex is low risk and boring so it seems like a lose lose situation with either one when it comes to playing teams that matchup well vs. the Niners like the Giants or the Rams.

December 4th, 2012 12:32 am

I’d start Kap for next weeks game……..the lead in the division is comfortable so the Niners could afford one more week of a option pitch fumble into their own endzone for a Miami TD to lose the game and still be in first place….then bring Alex back to a standing ovation the next week.

December 4th, 2012 12:37 am

Could that be attributed to the ram pass rush, nobody was open and the ineffective rushing game? JH said under the circumstances CK played well and I agree.

December 4th, 2012 1:14 am