Here is the opening to my Tuesday column about 49ers’ defensive coordinator Greg Roman:

SANTA CLARA

I have a suspicion Jim Harbaugh will agree with what I’m about to write. I suspect Harbaugh believes Greg Roman is not good enough to be the 49ers’ offensive coordinator.

I sure don’t think he’s good enough.

Harbaugh has stressed again and again, “This is Greg Roman’s offense.”

When I first heard that simple declarative statement, I thought, “Gee, Harbaugh is praising the underling. That’s nice of Harbaugh to give someone else credit.”

I’ve begun to embrace an alternate interpretation. Harbaugh is not praising Roman. He’s assigning blame, assigning blame for four games in particular, games in which the 49ers scored, 13, 3, 13 and 13 points. Those are unacceptable totals in one-third of the games played to date.

“This is Greg Roman’s offense.”

To read the full column, please click here.

Comments

The offense sure stunk vs. the Rams and it was not the quarterbacks fault. If Smith were in there it would have been much worse. Eleven penalties, a dropped TD pass by Walker and lots of bad play calling by the OC whoever it may be. Why keep pounding the middle with Gore when it was obvious that the Rams had the run stopped and Gore was taking a beating?

December 3rd, 2012 7:57 pm

I jumped to commenting before I saw your column which is quite interesting as to Roman’s coaching background which questions his qualifications. The Rams have obviously figured out the Niners which does not bode well for the playoffs as I assume playoff caliber teams will as well. Speaking of which we get the Patriots in two weeks as a prelude.

December 3rd, 2012 8:15 pm

3. B-Rad

I knew I didn’t like this guy.

I was surprised to go on-line to see that he had never been
    an OC before coming to the Niners in 2011. David Shaw was
    was Stanford’s OC from 2007-2010.

I looked up some team offensive stats, and it appears that you are correct
    about his ineptitude in the passing game.

Jimmy Raye is my least favorite OC of all time, but it looks like even he
    was better in the passing game. In 2010, Jimmy Raye started out as
    the Niners OC but, happily, was fired a few games in and replaced by
    QB coach Mike Johnson. The Niners were 18th in passing in 2010,
    but dropped to 29th in 2011 under Roman and currently is 25th.

Even in 2009 when Jimmy Raye was here to screw up the whole
    season, the Niners had the 22nd ranked passing game, better than either
    of Roman’s years, at least so far.

Roman is much better in the running game though, if he doesn’t
    kill off Gore before season’s end.

December 3rd, 2012 8:40 pm

4. Steve the cat rescuer

Lowell, you nailed it! I had no idea about Roman’s coaching background. No wonder the game plans have been so unimaginative or reliant on gimmicks. Norv Turner will be available at season’s end. Seems like a perfect fit as OC. Could he work with Harbaugh? Your thoughts?

December 3rd, 2012 8:47 pm

5. dharte

Lowell,

Please. Again with the controversy. Roman designed the game plan to attack the Bears, supposedly a “Top 3″ defense. Did you want to fire him two weeks ago?

He trained Andrew Luck, perhaps the most skilled college QB in the last twenty years. And Luck loves the guy, raves about him in every interview I’ve seen.

As for the St. Louis fiasco: honestly, didn’t you see a little panic in Kaepernick’s eyes toward the end of that game? Look at the last three offensive series one more time: except for the long run (Gore’s block was incredible), does Kaepernick look in charge?

And is that Roman’s fault? When the switch was made initially, it was interesting to hear Roman talk about both quarterbacks. He clearly was not ready to “dump” Smith, as you put it correctly when describing Harbaugh’s move.

So if no rookie has ever lead a team to the Super Bowl, why would you fire the OC for uneven play by an inexperienced QB, in December, playing the game’s most complicated position? Seems misguided given the mistakes and poor decision-making we watched yesterday. At this rate, January should be a laugh riot.

December 3rd, 2012 8:55 pm

6. mike

Kurt Warner led the Rams to the SB in his initial season with the club, but he also played in the Arena Football League with the Iowa Barnstormers and in NFLEurope and may have been a practice squad player for one year for the Rams. Technically, he was not a “pure” rookie, but then neither is CK.

December 3rd, 2012 9:19 pm

7. mike

Ben Roethlisberger was in his second year as the Steeler QB when they beat Seattle for the SB win, but at 23 he was the youngest QB ever to win a SB. CK is in his second season with the Niners, so it has been done previously.

December 3rd, 2012 9:23 pm

8. MJ

Dharte,

While I’m not for the switch your argument loses merit when you call Kap a rookie. This is his second season. And both Brady and Rothlisberger were 2nd year guys when their teams went and won.

The real stat is that only three 2nd round draft picks have guided their teams to the playoffs since 1993 or something. Kordell Stewart, Drew Brees and Andy Dalton. Doesn’t look too good for Kap or many other 2nd rounders.

So if its Roman thats limiting the QB play, why was the switch made and what could happen if its someone else calling plays. Smith went for 276 and 2 tds in the last game before the Harbaugh era.

December 3rd, 2012 9:26 pm

I guess I don’t understand, Lowell. You said:

“The 49ers’ offense and defense are well coached and mechanical, as in running like machines (…) But mechanical also is good as long as it works. And Harbaugh’s offense works. He has terrific coordinators, and that is the mark of a confident head coach, someone not afraid of other smart minds in the building, minds which may challenge his football mind.”

These statements seem to be contradictory. What is going on? Can you explain this to us?

(Source: http://m.pressdemocrat.com/articles/120916-f7c6d7dae9.html)

December 3rd, 2012 9:39 pm

10. John

You’re vituperative attack on Greg Roman is so vile it reminds of a scene from The Natural when Roy Hobbs asks the reporter villian Max Mercy if he ever played the game. He hadn’t of course.

Hobbs was an idealist. Mercy was a cynic. Take your pick, but I’m going with Hobbs on this one, because cynics end up in some pretty lonely places.

December 3rd, 2012 9:50 pm

11. Dr. Feelgood

Wow, it get’s ugly around here, and fast!
    That option-pitch was an abysmal call. Abysmal happens. But can you recover?
    YES, Colin drives the team quickly down field and throws a TD pass to D Walker who, as is his wont, drops it. Oops.
    Delanie is more to blame than Roman. Delanie is a professional receiver who doesn’t receive. He gives. He just gave away a game the Niners had won.

December 3rd, 2012 10:01 pm

12. Fudgehammer

I’m just surprised that the adjustments that the Niners made at halftime were so ineffective, but maybe we have to credit Fisher and the Rams defense for that.

I thought the offense would look vastly different once Kaepernick was a starter. Bill Walsh was great at playing to a QB’s strength, and this versatility is why he was a great offensive mind. Remember when Jeff Kemp replaced an injured Joe in 1985 and all of a sudden Walsh had Kemp throwing deep strikes (successfully) every game to Rice? That was Kemp’s strength and Walsh catered the offense to it. When #16 came back, the offense returned to the classic WCO. I figured that with Kap’s arm strength, we’d see post patterns and deep fly routes to Moss and other WRs, but we haven’t seen a single shot downfield like that. The only time Kap’s really aired it out was that deep pass attempt to Moss in NY when he came in for a few plays vs the Jets.

December 3rd, 2012 10:12 pm

13. dharte

Look, Kaepernick is 25, he is in his second year (though this was his first real training camp), but the fact remains that he’s started three games…nine fewer than Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III, and twenty-five fewer games than Cam Newton, a second year QB.

He’s from a small school–not the SEC or the Pac 12. He played high school ball in Turlock.

None of this changes the fact he’s a elite athlete–he clearly is. But like all rookies, he’s going to struggle, and you simply can’t have those sort of “growing pains” in a Super Bowl push.

If you want to pretend the kid will suddenly be Tom Brady or Eli Manning, fine. Who did he look like on Sunday? This year’s team will fall short of last year’s team, even though the receivers have been upgraded and the defense is better (Aldon Smith is much better this year, for example).

Harbaugh’s gamble will cost this team in the short run. And that’s a shame, and also short-sighted in a bizarre way.

December 3rd, 2012 10:50 pm

14. Dan

Lots of assuming going on here. Just because the QB does not throw deep does not mean that a deep route was not run. Whos to say they didnt run several deep posts or fly patterns during the Ram game but CK didn’t feel the play was open?(this is often a criticism of AS. that he always checks down)

December 3rd, 2012 10:54 pm

John, Hobbs sold out. You’d know that if you read the book.

December 3rd, 2012 10:56 pm

16. John

Lowell,

It’s not becoming of you to be patronizing. Don’t be like that. I know the book was different.

In any case, your response was not on point. The fact remains that I found your comments with regard to Greg Roman to be unecessarily vicious and mean spirited.

You’re better than this kind of journalism.

December 4th, 2012 12:01 am

17. jason

Football Sinner ??!!

What sin did Greg Roman commit?

I think Terrell Owens might have been a football sinner, maybe Randy Moss, pretty certainly Romanowsky is one.

But what sin did Roman commit other than he called some dumb plays and got out coached? If that was sin then Singletary and Nolan are way beyond redemption and are gonna burn in hell for sure.

December 4th, 2012 12:04 am

Today’s column about Roman makes me second guess why Alex Smith was so bad in the red zone. The red zone play calling usually requires more passing than running and Roman may be incapable of drawing up pass patterns up to NFL standards.

December 4th, 2012 1:35 am

19. Nancy R

Oh Yes! Your words are music to my ears! During entire Rams/49ers game I kept thinking…why do they keep running up the middle and getting clobbered? And getting clobbered! And getting clobbered! Hello? 49ers OC are you there? Such fabulous talent on the team and such measly schmeasly uncreative plays. What a bad play indeed allowing a touchdown from Kaep’s wrong handed side – fancy schmancy at a very vulnerable moment in the game. I want an OC that exploits the tremendous talent on the 49ers. Excellent report with Sally Dick and Jane thrown in for flavor. I want to See Spot Run!!!!!!

December 4th, 2012 4:41 am

20. PhD

Hopefully you raising the issue in the press like this puts Roman on notice that he has to get much better or Harbaugh will show him the door at the end of the season. The team, when it wins, appears to be winning despite Roman’s weaknesses.

December 4th, 2012 7:16 am

21. Peter

Well, Mr. Cohn you got your wish to remove Alex and now you’re calling for Greg Roman’s head. I don’t know if you’ll be granted two wishes but I do see the spirit of a team being sapped. My prediction (which is as good as anybody’s it seems) is take Miami and the points and every competitior going forward and don’t expect the 49′ers to go past the second round of payoffs. Firing people with good to great records is demoralizing. And don’t fall into that trap for calling these players to step up and put this talk behind them. A shift in leadership (when not absolutely necessary) simply tenses up people when they need to be loose. I bet Jim is having sleepless nights now and he did it to himself.

December 4th, 2012 8:11 am

And here I thought that you thought it was Alex Smith’s fault the offense was so bad! Wow, it is hard to keep up with you. So now you get the QB you want with the same results and, wham-o, it has to be the OC who isn’t doing the job. You know what, I agree with you about Roman. He is not the greatest offensive coordinator we ever had. Maybe he needs to go. Having said that, I do believe the offensive game plan comes with some very heavy input from Harbaugh each week. The 49er offense looks a lot of the Cardinal offense when Harbaugh was the head coach and Shaw was the OC. The main missing ingredient is Andrew Luck, who can make any OC look great.

Having said all of that, everyone needs to take a very deep breath, put this season in perspective and realize we are still the number 2 seed in the NFC. We need to remember that at the beginning of this season we did not expect the 49ers to have as good a season as last year because: 1) They have a tougher schedule. 2) They would not be able to sneak up on teams like they did last year because they have been exposed as a very good team. 3) They were fortunate last year that everyone was healthy and surely that wouldn’t be the case this year. I seem to recall that the consensus of predictions on this blog were an 11-5 season would be good. Well guess what, it looks like we were pretty close. So stop all the hand-wringing. As Lowell said in a previous post “That is an over-reaction.” Things are certainly better than when Nolan and Singletary roamed the Bay Area. Enjoy it!

December 4th, 2012 8:46 am

23. Paul

Give me Norv Turner in 2013. Local guy, great coordinator … and he knows how to get the ball to a star TE. Turner is done as a head in the NFL so could be here awhile.

December 4th, 2012 9:01 am

24. Waldo Lydecker

Lowell,

So I guess you didn’t go for my idea that the Press Democrat cashier you so dharte could take over your column, eh? Understandable, I suppose it’s always better to be the bomb thrower than the target.

But dharte does have a nice clarity to his writing style, don’t you think?

December 4th, 2012 9:15 am

25. lameduck

@Paul
    Unless the Raiders hire him…

December 4th, 2012 9:58 am

Lowell…THAT WASN’T ME. at 939. Check the email address. I’m on the same page with you on this.

The play calling was incompetent. And the change to CK not only backfired it seems like the 49er removed a hot hand,a tight end and a HOF receiver…hard t beat another team when you “take out” your best offensive players and expect 2006 Frank Gore t show up.

December 4th, 2012 10:01 am

Hey, Stan, you are so famous people are now impersonating you. Wow!!!

December 4th, 2012 10:08 am

Yeah,he spelled and typed too good. I knew that couldn’t be me.

December 4th, 2012 10:20 am

WAY WAY WAY too early to be making such proclamations. He’s only now got a real QB so we’ll see what he can do with the passing game. We all know he’s done a great job getting the running game going extremely well. He is largely unproven as he’s only ever had a game manager to work with. And even with Alex, the passing game was at least efficient.

The Rams counter punched us based on what they saw against the Bears/Saints. Let’s see how he responds. This is a game of adjustments and the next move is Roman’s. Perhaps Harbaugh’s verbal jabs were meant for him. I think Jim talks to his players and staff through the media quite a bit, when he talks at all.

I know you got the move to Kaep right, when no one else saw this coming around the curve. But this is a dream in an attempt to stay ahead of that curve.

December 4th, 2012 11:05 am

The KNBR people read your column on Roman on air..and they debated if you meant it,if you really mean “fire Roman”.
    I think you did.
    Did you?

December 4th, 2012 11:34 am

31. dharte

@Waldo Lydecker

Thanks very much. My son, who’s in 6th grade, loved this and just texted me. No doubt his teacher is pleased.

My understanding was that Lowell did this work pro bono?

(By the way, I’m sure Greg Roman also agrees with you. At least since last night.)

December 4th, 2012 11:47 am

32. Dave T

@Mike Roethlisberger was in his second year, but he had started 15 games in his rookie year, playing in 16 (including the playoffs) and 15 games prior to his Super Bowl start against Seattle. CK will have no where near the game speed experience that Ben had if he gets that far. Now, can this team get there? Perhaps, but not if CK continues to make similar mistakes that he made the last two weeks (I include the really bad int against the Saints as well).

I think they should have stayed with Smith through the season then made the move, but Harbaugh has made his proverbial bed…

December 4th, 2012 12:11 pm

33. Kommon Senze

I think that there’s an unreasonable bias by many who lived through the Walsh created 49er dynasty against coaches, players, etc. that don’t quite live up to the lofty standards set by the icons of that era. It often seems that, unless it’s top shelf, it should be kicked to the curb (or at least derided for not being top shelf). There at times seems a lack of appreciation for the qualities of those that are merely ‘good,’ not ‘great.’

I’m not saying that Roman shouldn’t be criticized, or that his play calling can’t be called into question. But it seems there is no middle ground. It’s “he’s fantastic” or “he’s a bum.” I realize, perhaps, that’s not unique to 49er fans and the media that covers them; it’s a common aspect of sports. However, I still find it short-sighted, for the most part.

I think Roman has had some very inspired moments as an Offensive (not Defensive) Coordinator. I don’t think his passing offense is pedestrian, but.. yes.. it is less sophisticated overall than other passing offenses. However, I’ve seen many fans and media alike blame Alex Smith for being the reason the passing game was pedestrian, too. The play calls were made because “he can’t make all the throws” being a popular refrain. To me, that’s a little inconsistent. Was he the reason, or was Roman? Or, perhaps, maybe it’s not the fault of either, but really a reflection of the overall tone and style Harbaugh has requested.

Harbaugh didn’t bring Roman up from college just for kicks and giggles. He wouldn’t have had him running his offense for four years if he felt he wasn’t “good enough.” Just as with his decision to promote Kaepernick, it’s quite possible that he may now see the opportunity for taking another step up in capability. Whether Roman can add that, himself, or whether he needs to look elsewhere is a fair question, but I think that would be more of a natural evolution of thinking than a report card of failings that has been kept that finally became too much to overlook.

I do think that Roman has probably been tasked with doing a better job of play-calling and game planning. I wouldn’t be surprised if the law has been laid in terms of what needs to happen. Good leaders know how to communicate that to those they lead and know how to hold people accountable. I think Harbaugh is handling this the right way, but I don’t think he’s made a determination on whether Roman is ‘good enough’ or not.

December 4th, 2012 12:35 pm

34. loneraider78

When did it get to this point? Where a team loses a game or two, and it’s time to start firing people?

No, don’t try to fix a problem and grow from it, just fire everyone.

Stupid.

December 4th, 2012 12:40 pm

35. Kommon Senze

MJ -

Are you saying “just 2nd round picks” or picks after the 1st round? If it’s the former, you’re both missing several QBs that did lead teams to the playoffs and creating an arbitrary cut-off that has no real bearing on performance (i.e., being picked 63 or 68 may mean a player was picked in the 2nd vs. 3rd round, but, beyond that, has little statistical significance on their potential for performance). If it’s the latter, well.. obviously there are tons of other QBs that have led teams to the playoffs.

As for other 2nd rounders that you’ve missed:

- Shaun King
    - Charlie Batch
    - Jake Plummer

There were I think about 20 QBs taken in the 2nd round up to last year, so that’s a 30% success rate, with Kaepernick potentially pushing that to 7 out of 20 (35%)

Compare that to roughly 46 QBs taken in the 1st round (up through last year). 26 led teams to the playoffs, 20 did not to date. That’s 56.5% success rate.

It’s not surprising that the percentage of success goes down, but it seems in line with what you’d expect based on talent level, etc. I don’t know that any of that, though, has a bearing on whether Kaepernick has a shot at leading the team to the playoffs in the future. The correlation you’ve made is specious, at best, because it fails to actually consider performance already shown on the field.

Put it this way. Do you think Blaine Gabbert, a 1st rounder, has a better shot at leading a team to the playoffs than Colin Kaepernick? If you do, you’re basing it entirely on some badly correlated stats, and not on their displayed ability on the field at this pro level. If you go into analyzing their stats to date on the field, too, the answer is even clearer.

If you were making this argument about a player that is being graded coming out of college as a 2nd round level talent vs. a 1st round level talent, then your argument might make more sense. As is, it really doesn’t.

December 4th, 2012 12:54 pm

For a laugh-BASG blog Has Harbaugh acting in a “Saved by the Bel’ clip.
    So what’s the Jim BS of “Is that how you do things in California?”..he has more acting credits then Eastwood. Jim’s got plenty of glitter on him..

December 4th, 2012 1:28 pm

Stan, I did mean it. I should have phrased it — at the end of the season Harbaugh should replace Roman. Maybe the radio guys wouldn’t have gotten so worked up if I wrote that.I’m always nice to Krueger but I notice he never looks at me or says hello to me. Maybe it’s my breath.

December 4th, 2012 3:40 pm

loneraider78, I don’t remember when I ever called you stupid.

December 4th, 2012 3:50 pm

39. Loneraider78

I didn’t mean you’re stupid. I meant the notion is stupid.

December 4th, 2012 4:29 pm

Loneraider78, I can live with that. Hope you are well.

December 4th, 2012 4:30 pm

41. Loneraider78

Same to you. I’m well in life. In fanhood, not so well. Although, Stanford is one bright spot for me.

December 4th, 2012 4:41 pm

Loneraider78, Did you go to Stanford? When?

December 4th, 2012 4:52 pm

43. Loneraider78

LC, you’ve seen my posts. Do you really think I’m Stanford educated? No way.

It’s just that they’re local, and I really like Shaw, and I’m happy that they are successful.

December 4th, 2012 4:57 pm

Loneraider78, I assumed you are a genius.

December 4th, 2012 5:15 pm

45. Loneraider78

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

Guess who?

December 4th, 2012 5:31 pm

Loneraider78, Tell me.

December 4th, 2012 5:58 pm

47. Waldo Lydecker

dharte,

Lowell is a paid Press Democrat employee. I’m sure he’s handsomely compensated by journalistic standards, given his years in the business and prominence in the Bay Area.

I had written a previous comment addressed to you, asking if you’d mind if I started a campaign on his blog calling for you to replace him, arguing that you’d bring a more thoughtful, less nasty column to the PD. It was on the snarky side, but you probably would have gotten a kick out of it. I didn’t think it was any more biting than Lowell’s constant shots at Alex Smith over the years, but obviously he didn’t see it that way and it never saw the light of day. (This one may not either.)

His blog. No worries.

December 4th, 2012 6:26 pm

48. dharte

Lowell,

Let the man speak.

Much appreciated. The free tickets are tempting, but my wife might leave me (though I would have my son with me at the games).

December 4th, 2012 11:39 pm

49. Nancy R

The smartest creature on earth I know is Oreo, my rabbit. He is a great digger of dirt, eater of roots, consumer of kale. He knows everything before I do, especially if there is a cat sauntering over for a visit. He didn’t go to Stanford.

December 5th, 2012 5:39 am

Lowell,I would bet that you wrote something in 2005 about him..and everything I have seen of Kreuger is he holds a grudge. From his very first rant about you,I knew it had to be 2005 related. In 2005,I hardly listened to sports radio and just read the Trib or Chron..a lull in my sports time line so I don’t know what you said-just a educated guess listening to him go off on you.
    I mean,he said Ozzy Guillen was defending a mass murderer in Castro..and again,we know why he spent hours and hours going over Guillen. He might as well have just called him Ozzy Alou.

December 5th, 2012 10:48 am

One last – Radnich is convinced the Costas backlash is because Bob has pretentious airs. WRONG,oh bad reader of rooms. Its because those people who call in to sports talk are middle aged white men who love their guns. And no example of what guns does to society affects them,no amount of carnage,families destroyed or youths killed tugs even one iota of heartstrings on them. They feel nothing. Only..more guns are the solution and bigger prisons.
    Read that room and learn,yee 62 year old sports host.

December 5th, 2012 11:27 am

Gee, how ironic that the great conservative Ronald Reagan was pro gun and anti Alzheimer’s research funding?..

December 5th, 2012 11:31 am

Stan, I think I did write something about Krueger in 2005. How could I not? I could look it up but it’s not important enough to me to do it. If he holds a grudge that’s his deal. I wish him all the best.

December 5th, 2012 12:01 pm

Stan,

Bill O’Reilly is going to have Costas on his show tonight to explain himself, but you probably don’t get FOX News. I am with Radnich, Costas is a pretentious bore.

December 5th, 2012 4:49 pm

Dennis, I totally agree with you on this. Costas is a pretentious bore. He tries to be an intellectual but must stand on tip toe to do it.

December 5th, 2012 5:34 pm

Thanks Dennis- I will try and catch that. But,I’m sure Bill will argue everything but what you and others say is the reason for the Costas semi soliloquy.
    If he calls Bob anything close to fake intellectual I will eat horseradish. Jeez,I hate the stuff.

December 5th, 2012 6:51 pm

I thought Costas acquitted himself well on the show, though I didn’t have a clue as to what he was talking about. I don’t he did either, but that never stops him from talking. O”Reilly likes him and gave him a pass. The segment was pointless.

December 6th, 2012 8:28 am

I was right again.
    Jeez, That could be on my tombstone,right after I said I felt deathly ill.

December 6th, 2012 10:55 am

Oh, and what did Bill say? “More guns would have prevented the Colorado massacre”. Like I see the future.

December 6th, 2012 1:36 pm

60. Dave T

Costas can be like Dennis Miller, speaking way over the head of his audience, but at least Miller is funny.

December 6th, 2012 2:43 pm

I need to change my name..Will Stan or Stan Rogers. Rolls off the tongue huh?

December 6th, 2012 4:00 pm