I know Jim Harbaugh and Greg Roman attended a top secret workout for Peyton Manning and, according to them, never fell out of love for Alex Smith. So I ask you — who’s a better QB, Smith or Manning? Does Harbaugh still think Smith is better?

Comments

1. Rob

I’ve never believed Manning and Harbaugh could have worked together smoothly and effectively. In the end, it’s worked out just as it should. Kaepernick is our quarterback.

December 6th, 2012 6:33 pm

2. Steve the cat rescuer

Mark Twain asked, “What’s the difference between a cat and a lie? A cat has only nine lives.”

December 6th, 2012 6:35 pm

As Harbaugh watched Manning work out…he took a puff with Trent —but he didn’t inhale.

December 6th, 2012 8:24 pm

4. Jumbo Shrimp

Are you out of your mind? Alex is better only if you enjoy watching paint dry!

December 6th, 2012 9:07 pm

5. dharte

Manning, of course. But the more interesting question is why Manning is so much better than Kaepernick, even though the old man’s arm is almost shot (very little zip or range these days) and he never could run a lick. Watching Peyton Manning run, even as a rookie, was painful; in fact, I’d argue Peyton Manning was the most physically awkward great quarterback since Johnny Unitas. Neither of them had speed or quickness, yet they didn’t take many sacks and the ball was always out on time.

Greatness makes its own rules.

December 6th, 2012 9:27 pm

6. DBJ

I wish you would consider this question with all of its nuances. If the niners had signed Manning at what would have been his market price, what would have been left to sign other key players? How would that have affected the team and its performance? How long can Manning at age 36 and with a significant injury history contine to play at a championship level? Manning looks worth the money this year but what about next or the next or the next? You don’t have to stretch the argument too far to conclude that Smith at his current contract cost was the better alternative in the medium and long term.

December 6th, 2012 11:43 pm

7. Streetglide

Come on Gramps, give it a rest already…

December 7th, 2012 6:34 am

You need to think in terms of dollars per win. Last time I looked Alex had the same record as Peyton at 1/3 the price. So is Peyton better than Alex, absolutely. You should have him on your All-Star team. But if you are buying a quarterback – would you buy a Prius or a Ferrari? Harbaugh went with the Prius.

December 7th, 2012 7:14 am

9. htwaits

They didn’t make a deal. What difference did it make then or now? None.

December 7th, 2012 9:34 am

10. Waldo Lydecker

Smith moved back ahead of Peyton in passer rating after last night’s game. Smith’s 104.1 ranks 3rd, Peyton’s 104.0 ranks 4th.

December 7th, 2012 9:40 am

Lowell,

Here is the thing, Peyton is a top 10 QB of all time and going into the Hall of Fame, Alex Smith is going to be a journey man after the season is over, but would you give Peyton a $90 million contract?

December 7th, 2012 9:42 am

Well, (Where’s) Waldo, what you wrote cinches it. I’d sure rather have Smith than Peyton Manning. What could I have been thinking?

December 7th, 2012 9:44 am

Neal, It’s not my money.

December 7th, 2012 9:45 am

14. Waldo Lydecker

Sorry it seemed to sail over your head, but I was being a little tongue in cheek there, Lowell. If there was a point – and I apologize for interrupting the great fun you’re having dancing on Smith’s grave – it’s that I’m not so sure I’d go to such lengths to mock a player whose passer rating is just below Aaron Rodgers and just above Peyton and Brady. Maybe Carson Palmer, an over-the-hill mediocrity for whose services the Raiders paid dearly, would be a better target.

Also, Waldo Lydecker is a reference not to Where’s Waldo, but of course, the classic 1944 film Laura. Clifton Webb played Lydecker, the newspaper columnist who claimed “I don’t use a pen. I write with a goose quill dipped in venom.” I figured you and your wife probably saw the film on your first date and you felt an instant affinity for the character. Instead, I feel like I’m talking to an intern.

December 7th, 2012 10:34 am

(Where’s) Waldo, the Lydecker reference was so obvious I took it for granted. Come on.

December 7th, 2012 3:43 pm

16. MJ

What do we know about what happened. Was a contract offer ever extended to Manning. How serious was he about SF? Has there ever been a qb who won a sb with one team that went on to win a SB with another team? How many qbs have been to a sb with 2 different teams?

Answer those questions and thats all youll need.

December 7th, 2012 5:01 pm

17. Waldo Lydecker

You don’t know how relieved I am to hear you knew it all along. But I don’t like the way you’re attempting to subvert my handle. I don’t refer to you as Lowell Thomas (which, come to think of it, is a bad example since, after all, who wouldn’t want to be Lowell Thomas, unlike Where’s Waldo).

December 7th, 2012 6:26 pm