Here is the opening to my Sunday column about the 49ers, previewing the game against the Miami Dolphins:

Call Trent Baalke Trent Zaalke.

That’s a “Z” instead of a “B.”

If you were to grade Baalke’s offseason work as 49ers’ general manager on the usual A to F scale, he would get a “Z.” Which makes him Zaalke.

Why does this man get a “Z”? Because he brought in no players to help the 49ers on offense this season.

To read the full column, please click here.

Comments

1. eatmycumulous

Thank you Lowell!

I said the same thing in Grant’s blog a few months ago about AJ “Rains” and “Price”. They are the two invisible men on the 49ers.

December 8th, 2012 9:38 pm

2. FL_Niner

So I guess that would make him Trent Aaalke at end of last season.

December 8th, 2012 9:41 pm

3. jimmy

Yeah, and how has that AJ Jenkins pick worked out too.

Look forward to next Sunday night’s game.

December 8th, 2012 10:23 pm

4. Dr. Feelgood

Are you on uppers?
    So, you think the Niners should find a new GM?

December 8th, 2012 11:00 pm

Dr.Feelgood, I’m merely stating the facts. I never said anything about getting a new GM. Please read carefully before commenting.

December 8th, 2012 11:05 pm

6. Rob

The 2011 draft class is turning out to be one of the best in 49er history. The 2012 class may end up being one of the worst. I just can’t figure Baalke. Is he a genius or a dope?

December 9th, 2012 6:24 am

7. Frank in Minnesota

Great writing to make a point Lowell…it seems that the players acquired in previous seasons will have to win it all for the team…you are right, at the present the new guys do not seem to exist…and from here i cannot understand the qb situation…unless Smith is hurt more than i have read out here?????

December 9th, 2012 7:29 am

LC,

At least we replaced Alex Smith, that alone should move him from a Z to a B, although that was Harbaugh idea. Also Lowell, James and Jenkins might be good productive players and it is not TB fault they are not playing.

December 9th, 2012 8:26 am

9. glenellen

Now this is the old Lowell I’ve read for years. First it was Roman and now Baalke. For awhile there I was starting to think you were getting soft. Keep up the good work. And who knows maybe someone will hold up a sign at Candlestick again with your name on it.

I can’t remember what the sign said, do you ? And around what year ? Do you have a photo ? I would like to see that.

Ah …. memories ! (If they lose today I know you will be all over it.)

December 9th, 2012 12:03 pm

glenellen, It was in right field at the Stick for all Giants game and it said, Trade Lowell Cohn. I’m not sure what year but i’m very proud of that.

December 9th, 2012 12:30 pm

11. eatmycumulous

Hey Lowell,

Looks like we were too hard on Balke, at least about James. Maybe we should getting on Zarbaugh’s case over not playing these guys sooner.

December 10th, 2012 6:57 am

eatmycumulous, James did contribute. AJ Jenkins did not. Zaalke may have misjudged on him.

December 10th, 2012 8:29 am

13. Brady

Not sure this tells the whole story, for two reasons:

1) Baalke clearly drafted for the future in 2012. So we cannot yet give him a grade when he was clearly looking towards the future.

2) You’re missing his more important offensive off-season moves: a) the re-signing of Alex Smith at a price that will allow them an easy out next year now that Kaepernick is the starter. And the promotion of Alex Boone, and release of Adam Snyder. The former is a top-5 RG this season, the latter has been arguably the worst lineman in football.

December 10th, 2012 8:34 am