Longtime Cohn Zohn  reader Shane Buettner has his doubts about the legitimacy of Juan Manuel Marquez’ sixth-round knockout of Manny Pacquiao. He said I am naive if I believe Marquez is on the level. Naive is one of the nicest things I have been called lately. Shane is also knowledgeable about football, so I take seriously the things he writes to me. He sent along an article which ran before the fight explaining how Marquez increased his strength for this fight. It makes you wonder. An additional irony to this story line involves Pacquiao. For a long time there have been questions how he himself got so strong. To read the article, please click here.

Comments

The MVP of the All Star game is an admitted juicer who gets to retain his award…St. Lance carries on a 15 year conspiracy that nets him tens of millions of dollars…

You openly kvetch about whether Barry Bonds deserves to be in the Hall of Fame?

Now you want to question the legitamacy of an activity where two grown men attempt to beat each other to death?

PFFFTTTTTTTT!!!!!

December 9th, 2012 9:27 am

Tiburon Dave, what does PFFFTTTTTT!!!!! mean? I hope I spelled it right.

December 9th, 2012 9:41 am

Ahh,that explains it. To tell you the truth,I even wondered if Marquez was the same guy I saw last time. I’m just a casual boxing fan. So,lol,Manny didn’t get smaller-the other guy DID get bigger.
    Is there any doubt what went down?. None.

December 9th, 2012 9:46 am

Put your thumb and forefinger in a circle…put the circle to your lips and blow!

In the old neighborhood it was an expression of derision…

BTW…just about everyone’s spelling is better than mine…

December 9th, 2012 10:05 am

5. gary

NSAC refused to seriously consider pre-fight,
    random testing, of these guys. That is weak.
    The body trnmsformation of Marquez screams
    PAD (likely plural).

And how bad off is boxing? The major conclusion post fight……….was to set
    up a Fifth Pacman/Marquez bout.

Shameful behavior by NSAC.

December 9th, 2012 11:10 am

Lowell is the NFL legit?..no. You know it,I know it. Those squats are part of the same routine VD does on his workout Vid. You think he then takes 3-4 days off? VD,Steven Jackson, Larry Fitzgerald…all clones.

December 9th, 2012 3:24 pm

7. Shane

Dave- because boxers lives are literally on the line in competition (not just record books or games to be won or lost at stake), cheating of this sort is worthy of more than your derision. It’s a serious crime.

Even with correct spelling I’m not certain what you’re conveying.

December 9th, 2012 4:44 pm

8. Raffaele

The real question: Why would anyone care? Boxing has deteriorated so much it is a puzzle why people would spend money to see a match—in person or on television.

There are now a dozen “champions” in each division, promoters are corrupt, and there are few legitimate fighters. Boxing isn’t much of a sport any longer. That the outcome of a particular fight, like this one, is often suspect.

I don’t care any longer. And as I wrote, I wonder why anyone cares.

December 9th, 2012 5:12 pm

“Pacquiao weighed in at 147 pounds, while Marquez weighed in at 143 pounds. Even though Marquez was the lighter fighter, he looked like the bigger man. This was apparent to HBO commentators Jim Lampley and Roy Jones Jr. Several times they pointed out Juan Manuel Marquez’s improved physique. ”

The above quote is taken from a Jeremy Herriges “Bleacher Report” article predicting Marquez’s victory.

It is all very suspicious that a 39 year old boxer suddenly got so much stronger. His trainers maintained that Marquez was doing a lot of heavy lifting and since he is not a” volume puncher” the extra strength would help him.

December 9th, 2012 6:26 pm

10. russell

Is not Mr. Marquez affiliated with Victor Conte?

December 9th, 2012 9:02 pm

of course Marquez is on PED’s…….he was unable to knock Paquiao down in the previous three fights but easily put him on the canvass in this fight……besides increased strength, PED’s increase speed and thats what knocked Paquiao down the first time. Marquez’s trainer is linked to PED’s…..but in the sleezy game of boxing people look the other way.

December 10th, 2012 8:45 am

12. lameduck

Yeah, the KO was legit. I don’t think Marquez and Paquiao are legit. If one non legit fighter knocks out another non legit fighter, I’ll say the knock out was legit.

Maybe a way to stop use of PED’s is to put an age limit on athletes or a retirement age. No over 35 boxers for example. Maybe sports can start offering early retirement packages which wouldn’t force these old guys to hang on for one more payday…

December 10th, 2012 10:28 am

13. Shane

Raffaele- if you don’t care why are you reading and posting on this Blog?

December 10th, 2012 1:22 pm