Does anyone know what Brandon Jacobs did to get in Harbaugh’s doghouse? It must have been very serious. I’m getting the feeling you don’t want to get on Harbaugh’s bad side.

Comments

1. Ben

maybe he said he was a Lowell Cohn fan?

very interesting how they suspended rather than waive him… clearly they don’t want him going to play for a potential playoff opponent… but i would put a tap on his phone if the niners end up playing the NYGs. he’d probably be happy to pass along some hints on the playbook.

December 10th, 2012 3:05 pm

2. Brandon Conway

An observation about professionalism when not starting/playing:

Alex Smith through 8.25 games played well enough to be a borderline Pro Bowl QB, to be the current 2nd rated passer, and to lead a strong team to a 6-2 record. He’s been nothing except pure class in his benching, taking the high road in his preparation, work ethic, public statements, and in the locker room. All this despite starting the season as the undisputed starting player for the game’s most high profile position, and losing the starting job only because of the good play of a teammate, not because of any poor play on his part.

Brandon Jacobs started the pre-season knowing at least two guys were ahead of him on the depth chart (Gore & Hunter) at a position that rarely sees the 3rd string player get a lot of playing time. Then he had an injury that slowed his progress to the field. He has recently gone public with his disgruntled attitude, appears to be at best a lost man in the locker room, seems to be more concerned with his personal playing time than the team’s needs, and clearly wants to be out of SF as soon as possible. And now he’s been suspended for the remainder of the season.

Obviously there was some other things going on behind the scenes to aggravate this situation. But now, if I’m one of the 31 other teams looking to upgrade my QB or RB position this offseason, Smith is a clear option for QB not just because of his good play the last couple years but even more so because of his work ethic and attitude. I want that guy in my locker room, especially if I’ve just had a tumultuous season. If I need a RB I look at Jacobs and stay the hell away for his attitude alone. Who wants to deal with that?

December 10th, 2012 3:14 pm

3. glenellen

Early in season I was hoping to see him play. I guess if your a 49er you have to play well in practice. If other players are better than you, you have to work harder and do everything you can to help the team, like play on Special Teams.

Who am I to know, but guessing from my couch …
    -He just came off a SB victory and thinks he’s the super star RB. The twitters show an enormous ego in my opinion. Did not work hard in practice and does not play Special Teams so …
    good bye !

December 10th, 2012 3:20 pm

4. K.G.

I believe Jacobs tweeted that he was rotting on the 49ers roster, because the team was not utilizing him at all. By making this a “Public Issue,” I guess that got under Harbaugh skin.

December 10th, 2012 3:23 pm

5. mbabco

When you’re trying to get a team pulling together to hit the super bowl it can’t help to have someone publicly complaining about not getting enough playing time. It does come across a bit of “my way or the highway” but I tend to agree with the suspension. As Kawakami points out, it’s pretty similar to what happened with Braylon Edwards last year. Interestingly, Randy Moss has complained publicly at all — he appears to be all about the team, which is what Harbaugh wants. (Rather, requires.)

December 10th, 2012 4:51 pm

6. JB

Brandon is absolutely spot on. I’ll add this…

The player has the potential to be an asset to another team, so there is no upside in releasing him. Because of his conduct, the player is not owed the courtesy of being released to find work elsewhere. Had the player worked harder and been a better teammate he wouldn’t be suspended and he just might have gotten some playing time. As it stands, a player with 5 carries and 7 yards 13 games into the season has no leeway to be a problem, especially when it’s clear better options (and teammates) exist.

December 10th, 2012 5:37 pm

7. Kathy

After reading the tweets in the paper this morning (to mix the media) I figured Jacobs was setting his termination in motion–a somewhat passive aggressive approach, to let him get picked up by some other team.

So with the suspension, I think he either got off easy or his plan backfired, not sure which. But I don’t think the Niners could let that go, nor do I think most employers would, beyond sports.

December 10th, 2012 5:45 pm

JB, How do you know for a fact Jacobs did not work hard and was not a good teammate?

December 10th, 2012 5:59 pm

9. lameduck

Ask Braylon Edwards…

December 10th, 2012 7:06 pm

10. JB

Reasonable persons can look at the player’s public conduct and commentary and draw conclusions about his value in the team setting. Reasonable persons can also look at the end result of the public conduct and commentary to affirm those conclusions.

As to his work ethic…what has he done to make himself an asset to the team? Does he/is he willing to play special teams? Can he do anything other than carry the ball in short yardage situations, and is he willing do so? All signs point to “no” (including media reports of his limitations), and the player has not demonstrated or even hinted that he is willing to do these things. It has always been about the player, not the team.

Perception drives everything, and the player’s fate is a direct result of the perception he’s created of himself. No one did this to him. It’s time for him to own it.

December 10th, 2012 7:22 pm

I do rememeber around mid season that Jacobs was frustrated for not being activated……..and I believe he made a negative comment directed at Harbaugh as a result. Most likely he was in the the dog house after that.

December 10th, 2012 8:39 pm

12. Jim Bancroft

Thank goodness Peyton Manning didn’t come here. He wouldn’t have hesitated to complain about the conservative Harbaugh-Roman game plans, and who knows what might have happened then?

I think this episode proves Harbaugh has a thin skin. Not a good leading indicator, especially if the team stumbles at some point and some heat comes his way– much as it did at Bill Walsh in 1985-1988. Could Jim handle that with any grace?

December 11th, 2012 7:23 am