Ray Charles is singing Christmas carols on the record player. At the Cohn Zohn we are decorating our Christmas tree, which is so big we call it the King of the Forest. It’s an interesting scene, a diversified scene. You see Grant and I are Jewish. Grant’s girlfriend is Indian by way of Fiji. The Christmas tree is Mrs. Cohn Zohn’s tradition and for decades it’s been the tradition chez Cohn Zohn. She has hundreds of gorgeous ornaments and she can tell the story of each one, where she got it and when. Our living room is glowing. Merry Christmas, everyone.

Comments

1. lameduck

Merry Christmas and happy Hanukkah! Did you get anything good?

December 12th, 2012 7:39 pm

2. bolobar

Wow, you have a record player?
    Amazing, and more power to you.

December 12th, 2012 8:11 pm

bolobar, I’m old.

December 12th, 2012 8:12 pm

4. Ben

sounds like my house. as a Jew with an Irish Catholic wife, it’s a constant struggle not to light our christmas tree on fire with our menorah. my grandparents are rolling in their graves, but it’s a happy family time so we tune out that bit of guilt from beyond the grave.

December 12th, 2012 9:20 pm

Merry Christmas.

December 13th, 2012 7:17 am

6. tkh

You mean you are not a soldier in the War On Christmas?? oh my please don’t tell Bill O’Reilly, he won’t have anything to go on about… Happy Holidays!! and thanks for a year of lively discussion and excellent writing…Keith

December 13th, 2012 8:56 am

7. TonyT

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    Happy Hanukkah!

Record players still rock…and are still being sold, including direct to USB models, although I don’t think you can get the auto-change models (that would automatically play a stack of records).

I still have my Sony, and recently got a phono-input-to-USB adapter.

December 13th, 2012 9:10 am

Merry Christmas Lowell, to you and your family. I’ve enjoyed the year of blogging here and thank you for your insights and conversation.

December 13th, 2012 9:24 am

9. glenellen

12 more days people.

December 13th, 2012 3:47 pm

10. Brotha Tuna

Thanks for sharing LC. You paint a cozy picture.
    We’re hosting a party Sat for people my wife works with. Two of her co-workers are Jehovah Witnesses who don’t celebrate Christmas (or birthdays etc) so in order that they’d feel welcome we’re calling it a year end party. They’re coming and we’re delighted. Its a small thing to do, maybe kinda in the spirit?
    Peace

December 14th, 2012 8:58 am

11. Nancy R

It is so special to have ornaments that go back to when one was…one year old! I slowly unpack each ornament which has lay untouched in tissue paper since last year and savor each precious one….a pair of little mittens knitted by my grandmother, a little paper mache watermelon slice with a cute worm popping out of it…it is a delight to reopen these ornaments at Christmas and put them on the tree…so I understand the pleasure of Mrs. Cohn Zohn’s tradition.

December 14th, 2012 11:18 am