Who cares about Mark Sanchez? Who cares about the New Jersey Jets? Who cares about Rex Ryan? Who cares about this crummy team except, I guess, its fans? Every time I go online I read that Sanchez has been benched. Why do online sites keep writing about this like it’s actually important news? I mean, who cares?

Comments

1. RYD

They are a NYC team so by definition we all are forced to care or so it seems.

If Sanchez was on the Bills, Falcons etc it would not get any coverage I suspect

Congratulations on your win last night on The Blitz

December 19th, 2012 8:43 am

2. Sean

I wonder is the Jets will make a play for Alex Smith. He fits the exact mold Rex Ryan is looking for. Can hand the ball off, efficient passer, game manager. Seems like a match.

December 19th, 2012 9:05 am

3. Ben

aside from the obvious east coast/new york bias on espn et al, i think it’s just that everyone enjoys a good trainwreck.

December 19th, 2012 9:34 am

I almost never watch ESPN. The other day I surfed by it and what do I see? the top six subjects on the sidebar were ALL east cocast centric topics. No Niners, Or SF Giants..who are world champs..somebody inform ESPN,and of course NO Warrior b-ball.
    So,I didn’t watch.

December 19th, 2012 11:20 am

5. lameduck

I care now that I’ve read about him on the CohnZone…

December 19th, 2012 11:58 am

6. Joe Sanchez

Mark Sanchez is a celebrity too, by virtue of sleeping with supermodels and actresses. That makes him newsworthy, or at least, tabloid news-worthy. The only thing good about the Jets is that they make for funny NY Post headlines.

December 19th, 2012 12:31 pm

I don’t care about any of the things you listed.
    I don’t care about Tebow either.
    One thing I find interesting though is how you refer to the team as the ‘New Jersey Jets’.
    (I don’t have a problem with it; I get the point)
    Two questions if I may:
    1. Do you refer to their MetLife Stadium counterparts as the ‘New Jersey Giants’?
    2. How will you refer to the 49ers after they move to Santa Clara?
    ~ALOHA~

December 19th, 2012 12:38 pm

8. mbabco

It seems completely in line with NYC taking itself so seriously.

December 19th, 2012 1:21 pm

9. Sean

Lowell, while we’re in the AFC East and you were at the game, what was it like seeing Tom Brady lead that roaring comeback? It felt pretty darn Montana-like and if the Niners hadn’t finished the job, we’d all be talking about that and where it ranks.

December 19th, 2012 2:26 pm

10. gary

who cares that the Lakers are struggling too?
    That is certainly getting print/online/radio coverage.
    Sports can be a funny business.

Maybe Rex Ryan can become an assistant coach for the Lakers.

December 19th, 2012 2:42 pm

11. Dr. Feelgood

Here’s why we should care, and why we should care how the next two games work out: Alex Smith = high draft choice.
    1. Niners must defeat Seattle.
    2. Niners must jump out to a secure lead by the end of the 1st half vs. Arizona.
    3. Alex takes over for the second half. Alex knows what the season’s final 30 minutes means to his future, a future in another city. But WHICH city?
    4. If Alex plays average, or poorly, the Niners will release him (he’s not coming back, regardless). He’ll get offers to play somewhere, but they’ll be from poor teams that remind him of his early years with the Niners- definitely a bummer for Alex.
    5. But if he’s at his best, his stock and his trade value goes way UP. A sexy team like the Jets would pre-empt his free agency by trading for Alex. The Niners would benefit greatly, gaining a relatively high draft choice for Alex, instead of merely releasing him.
    6. I’m guessing Baalke is already working the trade market. A solid half from Alex could seal a good deal- for Alex, for his future team and for the Niners.
    7. So to answer the question: we should care about the Jets because their train-wreck becomes a big opportunity to enhance the roster.

December 19th, 2012 5:41 pm

12. B-Rad

I have found this to be a fascinating story since owner Woody Johnson, brought in
    one of the NFL’s least competent, but most popular (at least among fundamental
    protestants) QBs as a marketing ploy.

Once Rex Ryan saw Tebow in practice, he didn’t know what to do with him and
    was livid the Jets gave up 2 draft choices for him.

So now Ryan is going to start Greg (Who?) McElroy instead of Tebow.
    Funny and fascinating stuff!

December 19th, 2012 7:11 pm

13. B-Rad

Two trivia questions regarding the alleged eastern football bias.

How many Super Bowl champions this millennium have been from
    the western half of the contiguous 48 U.S. states?

Here’s a hint: The meridian dividing the western from the eastern
    U.S. lies at a longitude of -98.35 which runs through Lebanon, KS.
    This gives us the biggest states: CA, OR, WA, AZ, NV, NM, CO, WY,
    MT, NE, ND, SD, ID, UT, the western 2/3 of TX, 1/2 of KS, and the
    western 1/3 of OK.
    They get all the little and most of the medium sized states.

SB champs:

2009 – Steelers – east
    2010 – Saints – east
    2011 – Packers – east
    2012 – Giants – east

December 19th, 2012 7:35 pm

14. B-Rad

2nd trivia question regarding the alleged eastern football bias.

How many BCS National championship football teams this millennium have been
    from the western half of the contiguous 48 U.S. states? Why not throw in Alaska
    and Hawaii as well? That gives us a 700,000 square mile advantage.

BCS champ in January of this year:

2000 – Florida State – east
    2001 – Oklahoma – east (but only by 100 miles)
    2002 – Miami – east
    2003 – Ohio State – east
    2004 – LSU – east
    2005 – USC – WEST
    2006 – Texas – east ( only by 100 miles again)
    2007 – Florida – east
    2008 – LSU – east
    2009 – Florida – east
    2010 – Alabama – east
    2011 – Auburn – east
    2012 – Alabama – east
    2013 – Alabama or Notre Dame – both east

YIPPEE!!! USC won it in January of 2005.!!! BUT WAIT A MINUTE – THEY CHEATED!!
    THEY’RE CHEATERS and their championship was vacated. They appealed and lost
    about 18 months ago. There was no BCS champion for the 2004 season.

December 19th, 2012 7:55 pm

15. B-Rad

So I pose a third question related to my previous two posts.

If the west had won all of the 26 championships at the highest two levels
    of football this millennium rather than none, NOT ONE, would the media
    still favor the eastern teams simply because ESPN is headquartered in
    Bristol, Connecticut?

December 19th, 2012 8:03 pm

That team is a three ring circus and is better suited for tabloids than sports pages.

December 19th, 2012 10:11 pm

17. chewie

I care! Because the more the Jets suck, the higher the chance they’ll make a desperate trade for Alex Smith, provided the Niners pay him 7 mill come April 1 in order to keep him as a highly paid backup. This is certainly what I would do – trade Smith to the Jets for some D linemen, a free safety or draft picks.

December 20th, 2012 12:31 am

18. Tommy CostaRica

It’s just because he’s New York and the Tebow angle is fascinating. Love Tebow! I really enjoyed his run in Denver and hope he gets to some bottom feeder who starts him.

December 20th, 2012 5:01 am

19. lameduck

Thanks B-Rad. The answer is yes. But, only because the east is more populated / has more viewers / has more of a revenue draw from advertising.
    Unfortunately, I’m only offering opinion which is why I really appreciated your data.

December 20th, 2012 9:34 am

Who cares about Alex Smith? He has had the same amount of publicity on our end.

December 20th, 2012 11:07 am

The answer is B-Rad,yes they would. Only the Lakers get a mention. And you leave out..when the east coast teams suck,they still dominate ESPN. Al Davis death didn’t make the cover of SI!

December 20th, 2012 12:14 pm

who cares about the S.F. Giants right now when its the offseason.?……….KNBR does…..they constantly still talk about the Giants and have Kruk and Kuip on everyday……..every sport is talked about all year round and it just spoils it……so its not surprising the sports talkers and writers go into great depth about a losing team and a lousy QB like Sanchez who’s overpaid when nobody really cares…..yuk.

December 20th, 2012 2:02 pm

23. EatMyCumulous

Not his fantasy owners care about Mark Sanchez.

December 20th, 2012 2:54 pm

Given that the “news” loves reporting negative stories way more than positive stories why is this a bad thing.

And B-Rad, while your stats are very interesting I can assure you that the “east coast” does not consider Green Bay, New Orleans or Indianapolis to be “east coast” teams. But I must admit I had no idea they were that dominant. Thanks for sharing that.

December 20th, 2012 3:03 pm

25. Bob In Portland

When I was a kid on NJ Shore my dad took me to New York Titans games. Then a Jets game at Shea Stadium before we got priced out. They were my favorite team and was happy to celebrate their Super Bowl victory.

I don’t have much connection to them but I still pay attention to news about them, like I do about how Sandy wrecked the Jersey Shore.

I’ve been a Niner fan since 1974.

December 20th, 2012 3:41 pm

26. Che Cazzo Stai Dicendo?

B-Rad, we’re not talking “eastern”, we’re talking New York (please to be noting, your BCS list is dominated by the SOUTH, whom NYers also ignore as much as possible). And St. Louis, Indianapolis and Green Bay are “east”? YOu’re division is a little to arbitrary to have any meaning, certainly as the traditional dividing line would be the Mississippi.

Nevertheless, and more to the point, the New York Jets appear nowhere on the first list, so unless there IS a New York bias, why would the QB situation on a non-playoff team matter to anybody but bettorrs and fantasy owners?

December 20th, 2012 6:44 pm