Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee is reporting that Justin Smith has a partially-torn triceps which he suffered in the New England game. Barrows says Smith will need surgery after the season but is likely to play in this postseason, if he can tolerate the pain. Clearly, this is a serious injury. We’ve seen what the last six quarters have been like without Justin Smith on defense. Do you believe the Niners can flourish in the playoffs without Smith at full strength? To read Barrows’ story, please click here.

Comments

1. DC

Not a chance. Ricky-Jean Francois Chateau Petite is no Justin Smith, not even close.

December 27th, 2012 10:39 am

Boy, I sure hope so. I find it hard to believe that one guy makes 10 guys look that good. Especially a linemen.

December 27th, 2012 11:02 am

3. lameduck

I’m not sure they’ll beat the Cardinals without him.

December 27th, 2012 11:09 am

4. Streetglide

We are doomed. We’ll lose 87-0 in Green Bay. Harbaugh will quit and coach in college. The team will sink to 1-15 next year, Colin will become a minister, Alex will return for minimum wage, the new stadium will be sold to a tele-evangelist, Justin will start a motorcycle club while Alden will collect African Violets; sports writer around the Bay Area will be out of jobs as the local citizenry takes up chess.

There, howz dat???

December 27th, 2012 12:34 pm

Streetglide, sounds good to me. You should write a novel.

December 27th, 2012 12:38 pm

C’mon lets get real. He’s good but not all time great. Before Harbaugh, who even knew Justin Smith was a 49er? Just today a whole gaggle of 49ers were named all -pro. So,they do have talent.
    Although it made me laugh that Matt Steinmetz wondered how after hearing for months Greg Papa say Dashon Goldson cant cover a tuna sandwich, Then Matt wondered,how can he be a all pro?
    Justin can still run,tackle..but its going to hurt on and off for three hours once a week. If only McFadden had that heart.

December 27th, 2012 12:38 pm

7. Bob In Portland

I can see the team making it to the Super Bowl. The team I worry about is, of course, Seattle, but the Niners may very well miss them in the playoffs. Seattle has to play on the road and they’re not very good playing in places under 135 decibels.

The whole defense was exhausted after the game in New England and I think that played a large part in their game in Seattle.

I would adjust to more running for the Niners’ offense, to cut down on the number of plays the defense must play.

Otherwise, smooth sailing.

December 27th, 2012 12:54 pm

8. Streetglide

Actually I did once…

December 27th, 2012 12:58 pm

9. NP

Lowell,

Why is it that torn triceps and biceps seem so unique to football? I never hear of basketball or baseball players tearing those muscles. What gives?

Nick

December 27th, 2012 1:18 pm

10. Dave T

Simply put, no. Every great defense has several impact players. But they typically have one player that really makes the others go. It is the unsung hero that tkaes his assignement every time that frees up the impact player to make amazing plays. For the Steelers that player is Darren Clark. This season, even with Polamalu and James Harrison injured, as a defense they still had a strong statistical season. When Clark does not play, it exposes those players and they are not free to make the spectacular plays. For the Niners it is Justin Smith. He does in fact make the other ten players better because he does his job so effectively, needing his defenser and sometimes two to handle him, thus freeing up those players to make big plays. Not having him on the field for any length of time will seriously hamper the Niner D in the playoffs. And that is an opinion widely shared by many many other sports pundits, and I happen to agree.

December 27th, 2012 2:06 pm

Streetglide, They’re hard to do.

December 27th, 2012 2:10 pm

NP, I think it’s all the pushing and pulling linemen do.

December 27th, 2012 2:10 pm

13. Jumbo Shrimp

Lowell
    Pleae go see “Django Unchained” immediately and then let’s get a thread going on the character played by Samuel L. Jackson …

December 27th, 2012 2:10 pm

14. Steve the cat rescuer

I commented here right after the New England game that Aldon was ineffective when Justin went out with his injury. No shock that NE immediately stormed back. Same story last Sunday. With J Smith out or at far less than 100%, a now severely compromised group of receivers and Kap beginning to implode under the pressure of the playoffs, my guess is one and done.

December 27th, 2012 2:46 pm

15. Che Cazzo Stai Dicendo?

NP, try to grab a 200+ pound man as he runs past you and you’ll understand why this is a common football injury. Only pitchers really come close to putting that kind of load on their arms.

Of course, with muscle tears, fatigue is a big factor, especially relatively short muscled like tris and bis.

December 27th, 2012 4:42 pm

16. htwaits

Justin Smith consistently frees up one defender for either pass defense or to contain and harass the quarterback. He also keeps the OL off our linebackers which is a major factor in stopping the run.

If the defensive coaches can figure out a way to do all that, then an absent or less effective Justin Smith won’t be a playoff killer. If not, wait until next year and try to draft his replacement.

Some very good 49er teams have failed to get to the Super Bowl over the years. Why not this year?

December 27th, 2012 7:03 pm

The Niners should not be pinning their hopes in the playoffs on Justin Smith’s” pain threshold “. I think he should get the surgery now and….. next man up!!
    Can you imagine coach Belechek of the Partiots fretting about one player ( unless it is Brady) No, he adjusts and wins by creating something that will work. He looks at the team as a machine and each player is a cog in that machine.
    Next man up!

December 27th, 2012 7:08 pm

18. Streetglide

No fooling. I wrote a doozy and then something very close to it became a mega-hit. Bad timing on my part. Then there was a screen play I wrote in format that was pretty great too. “Prada” came out and sunk my story into the briny blue…

December 28th, 2012 7:08 am

Speaking of Discovery channel..The adds for their new show- Amazon Gold?…shows a few rednecks in Brazil blasting away stream banks with gas powered water pumps. You do know that is illegal and an environmental rape in this country? How funny I just saw a “California Gold” where a park Ranger talked like how primitive and ignorant the (original) 49ers were to California’s great ecosystem. And Discovery Channel is repeating the past in Brazil.
    I was sickened to see that commercial ..as riparian tropical flora was destroyed right before my eyes..
    And yes- forward this post to everybody including the Discovery Channel.

December 28th, 2012 10:05 am

20. Bob In Portland

Streetglide, I wrote a screenplay which is remarkably similar to David Chase’s upcoming movie, only it’s set ten years later and focuses on the guitarists and not the drummer. It’s not only good ideas and good writing, it’s also good timing and access to insiders.

“An artist these days has got to be plucky
    and find somebody to pay all the bills,
    be real sincere and be real lucky
    and practice lots of marketing skills…”

-from “Is It Really True Art?”

December 28th, 2012 11:45 am

21. Jonny Thunder

I agree with Johnc. They have to be deeper than that. Justin needs to have surgery and there had better be a way with all that defensive talent to make up the premium that Justin represents. If there really isn’t enough of a backlog of bodies and adjustments to cover Justin’s absence, then the Niners are probably done.

And…if they can’t get it done then I put the failure squarely on the coaching staff, especially Harbaugh. The no nonsense, humble hearted mighty man who carries the burden of leadership, makes big decisions and answers to no one.

December 28th, 2012 6:27 pm

brilliant assesment by Streetglide regarding the future of the Niners…..but it can all be averted if the York family sells the team, the new owners fire Harbaugh, give the Santa Clara stadium to the Raiders to help them with their salary cap situation, and then build a stadium in S.F. which shoulduv been done in the first place.

December 28th, 2012 6:43 pm

I started to write a book. It talked of a journey after eating mushrooms of meeting a Cat in the Hat and also a Girl with Kaleidoscope eye’s that grew so incredibly high in Australia..or Oz.
    I put it off since it seemed vaguely familiar..

December 29th, 2012 11:22 am