I’ve been reading the internet on and off today and I read the Cardinals are interested in Andy Reid — possibly to get something out of Kevin Kolb whom Reid traded to them — and the Bills are sniffing around Ken Whisenhunt as head coach candidates. Give me a break.

When was failure ever a prerequisite for getting the next job? Both coaches are past their sell-by dates, and teams should look to younger, fresher candidates.

And there’s something else. I want to say this about Andy Reid. From everything I know he is a nice man and a likable man. Why is he looking for a coaching job so fast? As you know, two of his sons have had drug problems. One died of an overdose just a few months ago. Nothing is worse than that. I do not know Reid and I do not know what goes on in his family or what motivates him, but I believe — from afar — he should step away from coaching for at least a year and ask himself fundamental questions. What is the meaning of my life? What is the purpose of my life? Am I a good father? Am I a good husband? How can I improve in these essential areas?

I believe he should step away from coaching and examine his life. He must have enough money to take a year off. He owes this to himself and his family. He must examine his life. It feels to me like he’s trying to bury himself in the rigors and details of coaching to blind himself from the really important issues of life. So sad. Just so sad. Step away, Andy.

Comments

1. Jason

I was thinking the same thing about Andy Reid. 14 years in the NFL is grueling. 14 years in Philly is even worse. Even without family issues, I would think he’d want to want away for a while

January 1st, 2013 8:26 pm

2. Steve the cat rescuer

I thought the same thing after the initial stories about his sons’ drug problems. Why have a family if you’re never there for them? This is beyond sad – Andy Reid is an emotionally immature and sick man.

January 1st, 2013 8:45 pm

I agree with you completely about Andy Reid. I said the exact same thing to my wife when he was let go of. He needs a little reflection time. It will make him a better human being and a better coach. My guess is that he is keeping the demons away. Bidwell is not known for paying a lot of money to anyone.

January 1st, 2013 9:29 pm

4. George

You hit the nail on the head about Reid. Take a break and take stock of things.

January 1st, 2013 10:32 pm

5. htwaits

Heartfelt agreement.

January 1st, 2013 11:07 pm

6. Pablo

Lowell,

I agree with you, one thousand percent. Keeping busy is sociably acceptable way to not have to tend to our feelings or what is going on within us.

I applaud your taking a stand regarding Mr. Reid. There’s more to life than work. It would be interesting to know what his family of origin was like.

When he’s nearing death, i don’t think he’s going to wish he spent more time coaching. Spending time with loved ones is more important, especially if they are struggling, like his son. I’m sure his wife has been neglected, too.

January 2nd, 2013 1:01 am

7. Streetglide

I don’t have kids, cannot say much on children, but I would never judge a father by the actions of his son. I’ve known many men whose sons are jerks through no fault of their fathering…

January 2nd, 2013 6:41 am

8. Dr. Feelgood

A dear friend once (well, a lot more than once) said this whenever I started in on a critique of another man’s. perceived, foibles: “Take Your Own Inventory”.
    Whatever is going on with Mr. Reid, he’ll work it out. Or he won’t.

January 2nd, 2013 8:37 am

Like whats his name in KC who coached the very next day after a player thanked him,then shot himself? The media patted him on the back for showing up like nothing had happened.
    Then he found out being nuttily devoted didn’t help one bit to keeping his job.
    Other then me..I didn’t read one criticism of him. Not one.

January 2nd, 2013 9:15 am

10. K.G.

I agree with you Lowell, but sometimes in life, when folks are left to reflect upon their lives…they fall apart. I take it that Andy Reid does not want to sit around thinking about “what has happened,” & “how it could have been different” in his life.

Btw, this is not unusual, their are a lot folks like Andy Reid out there walking around.

January 2nd, 2013 11:41 am

I do know that his wife is from the Phoenix area, and perhaps he want to prove that he can still coach.

January 2nd, 2013 11:59 am

Andy Reid’s issues aside…

No one ever went broke betting on the incompetence of the Bidwell family or 90 something year old Ralph Wilson…

As was the case in Mr. Davis’s final years, it’s just painful to watch…

January 2nd, 2013 12:44 pm

13. The Seth

Even is his son hadn’t passed away he should take a year off just to regroup and relax, it worked for Jeff Fisher. However, jeeze the guys son passed away a few months ago, you can only suppress that emotion for so long before it just breaks you down.

January 2nd, 2013 12:58 pm

Look at Andy Reid, if I were him, I would get healthy, and go to a Fat Farm for 6 months, he looks like crap, remember how bad Mooch look in Detroit, not quite as bad, but very unhealthy.

January 2nd, 2013 4:02 pm

15. dharte

Your advice and his help are both a year (at least) too late.

These guys are so myopic I doubt they even understand the costs of their success years later (check out Harbaugh’s comments about missing the birth of his new child).

Brutal.

Ego.

January 2nd, 2013 5:01 pm

16. Jonny Thunder

Spot on.

January 2nd, 2013 6:48 pm

17. Tommy CostaRica

Lowell, I totally agree with you. I can only speak from my own experience but I became very ill from stress in the U.S. I had lost my voice and thought I had polyps or cancer and the docs told me that it was merely stress. I didn’t believe it. But, after several months on a tropical beach I could actually put my finger on it and identify when it was on and when it was off. Almost 7 years later I am pretty much a new man. I do what I love; sing and play music and repair a few computers on the side. I’m not even old enough for retirement or social security but I am definitely retired. It appears that at least publicly Andy Reid has a lot of issues and could use the time to reflect. Forget about coaching for awhile and take stock in what you have even if its only yourself.

January 3rd, 2013 8:19 am

Wups…forgot to add the Hunt family to my previous comment…

January 3rd, 2013 8:47 am

19. Larry Rowe

To me these comments and this blog is the most unprofessuinal thing I have read. Another mans family life is none of our concern. We do not know what is going on in this mans head. We do not know how he well he takes care of his family.

Drug abuse is a major issue with American Children. I feel ashamend with this abuse. I consider it be along the lines of Cyber Bulling.

Talk about kicking a man when he is down.
    God Bless

January 3rd, 2013 9:40 am

20. Human Being

I totally agree with this column. We are human beings first and foremost and we owe it to ourselves, our family and society to evaluate where we stand as human beings.
    Perhaps Reid has discussed this with his family and they are solidly behind his decision, but I cannot imagine anyone not wanting to spend as much time as possible with their families in a situation like this.
    God be with you Andy, and help you make the right decisions.

January 3rd, 2013 12:11 pm

21. Dave T

Some know when it is time to walk away and others need to be shown the door. Dick Vermiel walked away from the game in Philly, where he took the Eagles to a Super Bowl and then returned finally in St. Louis where he won one with Kurt Warner and “The Greatest Show on Turf”. He then retired when on top and turned over the reins to his assistance. Bill Walsh knew when it was time and Seifert took over. Lastly, Bill Cowher left when he had a roster full of talent, a young franchise QB and a chance to win several more Super Bowls. In his case I always suspected there was a reason he walked away from his hometown team that he loved, to spend more time with his family. Turned out his wife was gravely ill and he wanted to spend more time with her. I greatly applaud that, and perhaps Andy Reid can take a page from Cowhers book and spend some time with family and get more focus on things and come back a fresher and better coach. All the best Coach Reid.

January 3rd, 2013 3:45 pm

22. BillWilliamkill

Jesus, just leave the guy alone. Worry about your own lives. You know- unless you walk a mile in another man’s shoes kind of thing.

January 4th, 2013 7:27 am

and retread #1 Andy Reid goes to…Kansas City…

word is that retread #2 Lovie, is on the short list in San Diego…

Great news for Raider fans everywhere!!!

January 4th, 2013 12:14 pm