I live in Alameda County and they no longer give you plastic bags in grocery stores. If you want a paper bag each one costs 10 cents. I have no problem with any of that. I even bought three reusable bags for my groceries. It’s just that, every single time I go to the store, I forget to bring in the reusable bags.

Comments

They did away with plastic bags here about 3 years ago.
    People don’t even miss them.
    I always liked paper bags better anyway.
    Although most stores don’t provide them anymore, the stores that do don’t charge us…yet.
    *ALOHA*

January 8th, 2013 11:17 am

2. J Canseco

Trust me, you’re not alone.

January 8th, 2013 11:26 am

3. Jack Orion

I forget too. Keep a bag in your trunk or back seat.

Once I didn’t have a dime and filled up the groceries in my shirt. Like a hobo.

January 8th, 2013 11:29 am

Same county here. I was in the market the day it started..and the lines had backed up at every counter. People were confused,some agitated… I said “Its the end of the World”!..people laughed.
    I got to be me.

January 8th, 2013 11:48 am

5. Frank in Minnesota

Do what I do (now), leave them in your car….

January 8th, 2013 12:13 pm

We have had that in San Jose for over a year, I always forget but must have 15 reusable in my trunk.

January 8th, 2013 1:53 pm

They started that here also. I was at Home Depot and they asked how many bags I wanted to buy? I said none. They asked how was I going to get this stuff to my car. I said, I am not, you can keep it. I walked out before paying for any thing and left it all behind. I went home and ordered everything I wanted on line and had it delivered to my front door over several trips only because I was mad and continue to be.

The facts are that reusable plastic bag takes as much plastic to make as one hundred of the free plastic bags yet they are only good for 50 reuses. You do the math. This wasn’t about saving the environment. It was about having us pay for something that was free.

January 8th, 2013 1:57 pm

I heard Rod Brooks turn into Pepe Lepew in saying “Ricky Jean Francoise”. Amazing that local and national media that butcher Yoenis Cespedes and many other latin players names,but they CAN say ” Pierre Garcon” in a leering Frenchman’s accent!.
    If you ever heard a announce say Pete Garcon in American I will take it back.
    Nope,its the French beret and Parisian cabaret accent all the time.

January 8th, 2013 2:51 pm

We’ve had a year now, here in San Jose, to get used to this. I still forget the damn bags! Thought I’d have learned by now.

January 8th, 2013 3:39 pm

10. Kathy

It’s a habit one has to learn. Like others have said, I leave mine in my car, and after putting the groceries away I just leave the folded bag by the door so the next time I go to my car I’ll remember to put it back in the car.

For a while I’d forget to bring them into the store, until I actually got to the checkout, so that’s a second habit one has to learn.

January 8th, 2013 3:47 pm

11. Loneraider78

Now what am I going to use for can liners in the bathroom?

January 8th, 2013 4:45 pm

12. Dr. Feelgood

Plastic bags- scourge of the landscape, of the oceans. Remember the old Pop-Tops? Same deal. Every time I find one on the beach (which these days is amazingly and thankfully rare) I bore my companions with tales of pop-top necklaces and decorative ribbons across my “pad”.
    We’ll adjust, and the world will be a bit better place

January 8th, 2013 6:06 pm

13. Albert Park

I can see banning the plastic bags. I can’t see charging for paper bags. The paper bags get recycled as trash can liners, and they deteriorate nicely in a landfill. Besides, free grocery bags are a time-honored American custom, and don’t we all like that?

January 8th, 2013 10:08 pm

Dr. Feelgood – no it won’t.

January 8th, 2013 10:22 pm

15. Daniel

I live here in Sonoma County and they always ask if I want paper or plastic. I always say, “Either works.”

Guess you could say I’m “bi-sackual.”

January 11th, 2013 8:37 am

Daniel, That was a clever pun.

January 11th, 2013 8:56 am