I’ve been reading the comments on my blog about Barry Bonds and I’ve been reading lots of other stuff and I’ve been listening to the radio. One theme emerges: There is something wrong with the voting for the Hall of Fame. And the thing that is wrong is the voters. Sports writers are lousing everything up.

That may indeed be the case. I never asked to be a voter. The job comes with being a baseball writer. I do my best to vote intelligently and sincerely. I do NOT let personal feelings factor into my voting. I would have voted for Bonds, whom I can’t stand, if he didn’t cheat.

I never noticed people complaining about the voters before this year. Bonds didn’t get in and, all of a sudden, the sports writers are bums. Hey, I never took illegal steroids or whatever Bonds took. I didn’t break the law or lie for personal gain. So why am I — and my colleagues — the bad guys? Put the blame where it belongs and it does not belong with sports writers.

Comments

Sounds like a great idea!

Let’s take the vote away from writers and hand it to the members of the Hall of Fame…

Of course that presents the Barry Lamar apologists with an even bigger problem…because with the exception of Juan Marichal…everything I’ve read suggests it’s pretty unanimous…

None of the HOF members want PEDS players anywhere near the place…

But hey…what do they know…

January 11th, 2013 9:22 am

2. tkh

I’ve written in previous comments that I feel the sportswriters over the years have done a pretty good job of determining who is in and who is not in. I think maybe the difference is this year it appears the voting is being based mainly on criteria that in the past seemed to be either ignored or not given as much credence. Unfortunately I think you are correct the voting procedure needs to be changed but NOT the voters. I think the sportswriters have proven over history they can make the right choice. I wouldn’t want to have to decide whether Tom Glavine should be in next year and not Roger Clemens. Glavine has no suspician, no body changes but pitched well into an advanced age…did he use or didn’t he? how would we know? Based on the criteria set down by this year’s vote if you were to be consistent you would have to vote no. Otherwise you are picking and choosing based on suspician, innuendo, body appearance, etc. all of which can be misleading. Good luck next year. Personaly I think any Hall of Fame that celebrates racists or people who looked the other way on racism yet penalizes players for doing whatever it takes to be better is not worthy of even visiting.

January 11th, 2013 10:57 am

3. John Sousa

You’re not bad guys for not voting for Barry Bonds. You’re bad guys for not questioning the ridiculousness of Sandy Alderson going to Costa Rica to investigate whether the factory making baseballs were making them “Juiced,” When it was obvious to everybody–and I do mean everybody, at least everybody who wasn’t a sportswriter or in complete denial–that the players were juiced, and not the ball. And I don’t mean you personally, obviously. But by not following up when Sparky Anderson said Canseco is “Built like a Greek Goddess,” Whether because they were worried about the teams cutting off their access, or because they were just naive and dumb, the sportswriters helped enable the steroid era as much as major league baseball and the fans buying tickets. And the whole “He cheated so I’m not voting” comes across as a shirking of responsibility.

January 11th, 2013 11:40 am

4. Bray

The blame shouldn’t be on the writers, it should land directly on Bud Selig. By having the so called leader of MLB condone usage by his lack of action and approval of advertising the fact of increased HR, sent the message to the players that it was OK to use PED’s. Parenting\Managing 101

The contrived new drug testing procedures so conveniently came out the same week as the HOF voting. Hmmm. That only saves face to the blind. That being said, it’s the first testing procedure designed to ACTUALLY deter usage, not just the facade of such.

January 11th, 2013 11:43 am

5. Bob In Portland

Lyle Alzado started playing in the NFL in 1971. We know that lots of baseball teams kept a bottle of red juice in their dugouts.

Do you really think that it took 25 years for the news about steroids to cross from football to baseball? Do you think that guys who would take amphetamines wouldn’t take steroids?

By the way, Bonds wasn’t convicted of perjury. He was convicted of evading an answer, which says as much about the competence of the prosecutor as it does about Bonds’ honesty.

But no matter, people hate Bonds. If the Hall of Fame is for nice guys then it isn’t for baseball greatness, and Barry Bonds was the greatest player in baseball since maybe Willie Mays. That’s a lot of time. Why isn’t Gaylord Perry banned? He cheated during the game.

Sure, leave him out of the Hall of Fame. And don’t invite him to dinner. You make the snubs equal by devaluing the Hall of Fame’s purpose.

January 11th, 2013 11:45 am

I think the alarm here is that no one got in, for whatever reason. If this continues, and I don’t know of any reason why it wouldn’t, we can go for years without anyone getting in. So there may come a point where you have to question why bother.

January 11th, 2013 12:14 pm

Dennis, My guess is many will get in next year.

January 11th, 2013 12:24 pm

Ty Cobb cheated quite a bit.
    Lied quite a bit too.
    He was a racist and a complete jerk.
    He’s in.
    Any thoughts on that Lowell?
    ~ALOHA~
    P.S. In my opinion, Barry’s numbers BEFORE he bulked up, naturally or otherwise, are enough to land him in Cooperstown.
    I’m just saying…

January 11th, 2013 1:44 pm

9. John Sousa

Seriously, THIS is why people are mad at “The Sportswriters.” Because they made McGwire and Sosa “Sportsmen of the Year” in 1998, and now won’t vote for them to be in the Hall of Fame. http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1998/1221_large.jpg

January 11th, 2013 1:59 pm

10. StevenG

Exactly what is wrong with the process? PEDs is a divisive issue. I don’t care who you ask to vote, half the people will think Bonds should get in and half of them won’t. Sportwriters, casual fans, existing HOFers, anyone. Why? Because that’s what divisive issues do: they divide!

January 11th, 2013 4:05 pm

The Hall of Fame is a joke now. When writers are asked to vote what guidelines are to be considered? If the candidate is a Republican or a democrat does that factor into it? How many players besides Bonds and Clemens were taking steroids? It was the age of steroids and the baseball commissioner stuck his head in the sand . So it was ok. Baseball tacitly approved it. The players of that era should not be punished for participating in a lawless era with no suppervision or testing. The juiced up players were cash cows…they were the main event in the three ring circus.

January 12th, 2013 4:58 am

12. Louie

You guys are the ones who only post negative stories and never the positive stories about Barry Bonds career. That would be outnumbered 100-1. Bonds has done plenty of great/positives of things in his career for the community, and youth in this nation, and people itself. Why was he made out to be a jerk because of the writers, because his job was to hit a baseball and you guys wouldn’t leave him alone at all. Maybe if you guys weren’t the BAD PEOPLE, he would have talked to you more, the writers ruined everything, and the clear wasn’t even a steroid or illegal when he was given it, and he has never lied because it wasn’t illegal or a steroid at the time, and he still hasn’t been proven of anything. So all your co-writers should have voted Bonds and Clemens in on that alone because you guys pretty much said innocent until proven guilty is the most untrue amendment in our constitution.

January 12th, 2013 11:53 am

Louie, Because of your impeccable reasoning I have done a 180 on Bonds. He is a saint.

January 12th, 2013 12:09 pm

14. Bob In Portland

I never thought that sainthood was necessary to get into the hall of fame. That was revealing, Lowell.

January 12th, 2013 7:41 pm

Bob, Revealing of what? I was answering ironically to a silly comment. Am I not allowed irony? Do you whiff on it?

January 12th, 2013 9:59 pm