If Manti Te’o lied about his dead girlfriend who never lived — I’m not saying he did — but just suppose he did, should he go on Oprah and confess?

Comments

1. John Sousa

It’s already proven he lied about her. He says he found out in December was still talking about her leading up the BCS Game. The only question is, did he get scammed, or did he make it up because he was trying to stay in the closet? or a combination of the two? This is easily the flat-out weirdest thing I’ve ever seen.

January 18th, 2013 10:25 am

2. Jerod Brown

I blame Lebron’s decision for this mess. It seems like anytime somebody has something important to say it has to be a “special”. I’m currently in talks with ESPN to set up a special announcing that my lunch choice today will be Salami on rye.

January 18th, 2013 10:31 am

I could see lying to get the Heisman. THIS is what I cant get around…NO woman (Tiger like) has come out to say “He dated me”..Not one. So,he didn’t cheat on the invisible woman.
    It might be-best case- He’s celibate and afraid to say a he’s a 20 year old virgin. Not all can be a Tebow. He might be so ashamed that he’s risking even worse-being called gay.
    Stigma is ugly.

January 18th, 2013 10:35 am

4. lameduck

Interesting, but I “feel” it’s more of a Dr. Phil confession.

January 18th, 2013 10:41 am

Thinking also about Harbaugh. Its like he’s a stuffy scholarly person,a world wide expert in his field, and YOU the media? Are stuttering John’s of the Howard Stern world. “Don’t bother me you blithering idiots with that question!” “Out of my way!”.
    Something like that…

January 18th, 2013 10:42 am

“Bloody turkey gobble gobble fools!”

January 18th, 2013 10:43 am

7. Brandon Conway

He was hoaxed, and he is not the first.

He was “catfished”. The last few years it’s been discovered that it’s happening to a LOT of young people who are far too trusting of social media connections.

In the end Te’oe is culpable in that he exaggerated the relationship, which definitely paints him as not only naive but really insecure about the perception of his relationship. Maybe he overcompensated for the relationship because he saw the red flags and just tried really hard to convince himself in the opposite direction, or maybe it was to play into the narrative.

In any case, the kid needs counseling for all of this. He was victimized, but he also did himself no favors by trying to play the all-american perfect hero.

And this Tuiasosopo guy is in need of SERIOUS therapy.

January 18th, 2013 11:44 am

8. Brandon Conway

Stan – he’s a devout Mormon. Being a 22-year-old virgin would be more common than not.

January 18th, 2013 12:01 pm

Has it been proven that Manti a real person.

January 18th, 2013 12:13 pm

10. John Sousa

This catfishing thing doesn’t quite pass the BS test. You’re telling me an all-america football start recruited by USC, Stanford and Notre Dame didn’t even have a date for the Prom? Not even another Mormon girl to go with as friends? How come there aren’t any other women coming forward to at least say, Hey, He’s a sweet guy, we all believed him? There are too many unanswered questions.

January 18th, 2013 12:18 pm

11. NeverWrong

All of his pronouncements were perfect. In short, too good to be true. Lance was just as wonderful for a long time; those yellow wristbands of his devotees . . .

January 18th, 2013 12:36 pm

12. MJ

I’m not sure how exactly he is guilty or culpable of anything, from my reading. How exactly did he exaggerate the relationship? The story reads that there were 3 people involved on the hoax side, Tuiasosopo and his 2 cousins, 1 male and 1 female. Its perfectly understandable that Te’o was talking to them on the phone at nights, presumably the female cousin of Tuiasosopo, thinking she was this girl whom he called his girlfriend.

No one has ever really shown where Te’o has said anything more. I haven’t seen anything about meetings, which in these situations always get blown off by the false personality.

Presumably this was a friendship that developed when Manti was a freshman/sophomore in college. He wasn’t celebrity status at that point, outside of ND fans, and therefor he was easy to contact. He’s a giving and caring person, visits sick children in hospitals, follows the Morman faith, and because of such the story of her accident probably struck that chord. The friendship developed over time, much as they do, into something more. If we’ve seen anything from prison romances, pen pals, etc, these things can and do occur. This just happens to be someone of note.

We have a great deal of overly cynical people in this world, many of whom work in media (Ray Ratto for example), who will always side with the guilty til proven innocent mindset. Listening to him recount this story over the past few days you can see he can’t wrap his mind around, what has proven to be, the truth. It was one of two options for him, either Te’o lied or Te’o lied. I guess too many Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens’ have ruined it for people.

January 18th, 2013 1:18 pm

13. MJ

And the idea that he continued the story after he was aware of the hoax isn’t really that hard to comprehend. Its late December, award season, you’re also about to go to NYC for a chance at the Heisman, and you play in the National Championship game a few weeks after. Do you really want to release this Pandora’s box right then and there? Look how insane this has become, now not only do you have all the travel and media coverage because of the awards, you’ll have this just lumped on top, adding one more major distraction for you and your team.

I can see just continuing with the story as known to the public/media, diverting questions about her as much as possible, as he did, and then hopefully it will all pass and his life can regain some semblance of normality.

Put your feet in his shoes, would you not be embarrassed and have a major sense of disgust and vulnerability? I know I would and I’d not want anyone to know that didn’t need to know. I’d want to keep this a secret that just gets put in the back of the closet and hopefully never see’s the light of day.

But thats just me.

January 18th, 2013 1:33 pm

14. PhD

My guess is that he and his friend made her and her death up to improve his draft desirability and ultimately garner more money with potential endorsements and such. These are now lost before they’re achieved and there will likely be a lawsuit from the girl whose images was used. So any potential financial gain is wiped out defending and probably losing that.

Bottom line is that he loses no matter what because either he fabricated it with his friend and family (who claim they met her in person) or he was the ultimate gullible dumb ass which is VERY hard to believe. Notre Dame also takes a hit for defending him as the duped victim, if it turns out he was in on it.

January 18th, 2013 1:40 pm

15. Nancy R

Are there any silver linings in these confessions? I ask because I just saw Silver Lining Playbook and I thought it was fabulous! It’s about football, families, emotionally challenged kids (know any of those?) all couched in a very cool un lovey love affair. Not chick flicky at all. I LOVED it. My favorite movie of the season so far. Great acting by Robert DeNiro and Jennifer Lawrence.

January 18th, 2013 2:01 pm

16. John Sousa

Notre Dame already doesn’t have any credibility. They hired a private investigator for this, but a girl who is assaulted by player kills herself and the coach jokes about it? The whole thing is insane. So far I don’t believe anything he or ND says, and I’m also not going to be surprised by whatever crazy thing comes out next.

January 18th, 2013 2:21 pm

Where does Oprah go to confess?
    ~ALOHA~

January 18th, 2013 5:07 pm

18. mbabco

Is this before or after you go on, Lowell?

January 18th, 2013 11:59 pm

Notre Dame said he was the victim of a “Disgusting hoax”. It was nearly the same as I recall of Sanduskys “Those disgusting acts”.
    Sorry, a real downer post.

January 19th, 2013 8:48 am

Now,its getting beyond absurd. Mani claims that Tuissosopo all that time “disguised his voice as a girl”!!! LOL.LOL.
    I would fall down laughing if my back would let me.

January 24th, 2013 11:17 am

This is like a even funnier reverse Cyrano De Bergerac.

Or,what was that movie with Marylin Monroe? Hot as they come?.
    What a web we weave…