Tim Brown’s rash assertion that Bill Callahan intentionally sabotaged the Raiders in the Super Bowl is absurd. Callahan may have coached badly, but he was no double agent. Jerry Rice should be ashamed that he joined with Brown in piling on Callahan.

Comments

1. Steve the cat rescuer

Jerry Rice has more to be ashamed of than siding with the eternal malcontent Tim Brown. Or have we forgotten about his regular visits to that, ahem, massage parlor in San Mateo?

January 23rd, 2013 10:16 am

Tim Brown has said many time, that Callahan changed the game plan on Friday night which he thought was insane, although you got to think AL Davis had his dirty hands involved in this. This is the first time he used the word sabotaged. Also why are you dismissing Brown and Rice opinion, they were in the trenches and this is how they feel. Callahan was just another bad coach and cheap hire from Davis. It rots from the top.

January 23rd, 2013 10:27 am

Perhaps incompetent is better then sabotaged.

January 23rd, 2013 10:28 am

4. Dr. Feelgood

Maybe there’s a bloody glove he could try on.

January 23rd, 2013 10:52 am

Yeah,but what do you think of the fact Callahan hasn’t explained why he changed the game plan? Sure,he didnt throw the game for Jon…I know that. But,maybe Al got him angry meddling..and Callahan did the “This is what you wanted,Al so shuttup” loss. Even that’s a stretch. But my point is,Callahan hasn’t even addressed the fine points.
    Why do you think not one,but two star players on that team agree?

January 23rd, 2013 11:24 am

6. Jumbo Shrimp

Lowell
    Please support your claim of absurdity with some reasoning. I don’t think it’s absurd. I always thought there might be another reason why Barrett Robbins went AWOL, and a last-minute change of gameplan seems like something that would uniquely affect a sensitive type whose role in the offense was absolutely primary. And now you’re judging not only Tim Brown but also Jerry Rice. Sapp said he knew every single play being called. If Callahan had truly wanted to win that game, he would not have been so negligent as to leave the verbiage the exact same, so to hear that there was more to it is not surprising.

January 23rd, 2013 12:09 pm

7. John Sousa

GAH. That game almost got me divorced when I accused my wife of jinxing the Raiders by wearing one of my Raiders sweatshirts. I got super drunk and acted like a jackass at our hosts’ apartment. It was snowing outside.

January 23rd, 2013 12:53 pm

John, had first class last night. Get this, five plus me. Nice.

January 23rd, 2013 1:36 pm

Who cares? The only thing I got out of the story worth knowing was that Callahan is now in Dallas and that explains a lot.

January 23rd, 2013 2:29 pm

10. bigandbold

Sour grapes brought on by a good ol’ fashioned @$$-whoopin’!

January 23rd, 2013 2:41 pm

Yes…who cares???

I’m interested in why now???

What’s going on that Brown would try to sell this story now?

And what’s up with Jerry? Why did he make a point of getting in on this?

January 23rd, 2013 4:09 pm

12. Jumbo Shrimp

Lowell you don’t want to explain yourself?

January 23rd, 2013 4:54 pm

13. Loneraider78

When the Raiders went to that SB there was no player on that team that I wanted that victory for more than Tim Brown. I didn’t even feel bad for myself or the fans or Al Davis. I felt bad for Tim. It really bothered me that a punk like Warren Sapp was walking away a champion and Tim wasn’t.

On one hand I totally understand how Tim must feel. The career he had, and to get so close to being a champion. One year it was taken away because Brady fumbled but didn’t, and then they show up unprepared to play, minus their crazy starting center, and get it handed to them. So, I think this is a product of that frustration.

Having said that, it’s very disappointing that Tim would bring this up now, so far after the fact. Tim was always one of my all-time favorites, and he conducted himself like a pro his entire career. This new bitter Tim Brown doesn’t fit with the player we watched for so long.

I think this will blow over quickly, I just hope the HOF voters don’t factor this against him. He deserves to be a HOF player. He should get that honor at least, since he never got to be a champion.

January 23rd, 2013 6:18 pm

The other one? The Harbaugh coaching tape (YOUTUBE)..When they played excerpts on the radio I couldn’t figure out what that was…A SD State students comedy sketch? I mean, where you put the hand,and “I WANT TO WIN” breaking the projector?..pure stereotype of the maniacal American football coach.
    Nope,it wasn’t a student art pieces with Jim in on the gag. He IS like that.

January 23rd, 2013 6:22 pm

Totally agree with you Lowell…….I’ve been a lifelong Raider fan since the 70′s, and Tim Brown did some nice things on the field for the team. But he says some bizarre things that really have no business being said. A few years back, he said it was John Madden’s fault that they didn’t win more than one Super Bowl in the 70′s…….this latest claim is just as ridiculous as the Madden one.

January 23rd, 2013 6:39 pm

16. NeverWrong

It is bizarre verging on preposterous BUT what Mr. Brown said about Barrett Robbins could be examined as having some veracity, to see where that leads. I can’t imagine anyone throwing a Super Bowl game, but there’s an allegation of incompetence and just plain nuttiness (changing the game plan, with all that encumbered Robbins with) by a Hall-of-Fame player about a proven failure of a coach) that could lead to some newfound sympathy for Robbins, whose behavior surrounding the Super Bowl was inconsistent, even accounting for his mental illnesses.

January 24th, 2013 6:55 am

No,no! It came to me what that other question REALLY was. What Lowell did you think of the lawsuit by Seau’s family that the NFL was the cause of his suicide? I am as liberal as can be..but he was paid millions in a game where I’m sure Seau took satisfaction in knocking the opponents players out of the game. They all do.
    If he wins..is that the start of the end of the NFL? what do you think?

January 24th, 2013 8:34 am