Here is the opening to my Friday column about the media inundating the Niners in Santa Clara this week:

SANTA CLARA — Guy said, sure, a horde of media in Santa Clara for the Niners before they go to New Orleans. Super Bowl horde. Big deal.

Nothing like what they had in Philly in 2005, guy said, the Eagles going to the big one. That’s East Coast, baby. Guys could drive to Philly for the day from Boston, New York, you name it. Didn’t even need a hotel room. Had the heavy hitters coming to Philly — New York Times, Boston Globe, Washington Post.

West Coast too far for that action, a plane ride for sure. Reporters will catch up with the Niners in the Big Easy. Guy was onto something.

To read the full column, click here.

Comments

1. JimE

Who do you think you are… Tom Wolfe or something?! Good column.

January 24th, 2013 10:44 pm

2. Albert Park

Great column, Lowell. Tells me more about the Super Bowl ambiance than I ever read before.

January 24th, 2013 11:45 pm

Lowell, is the PD sending you to New Orleans to cover the game? I would imagine they would tell you in advance so you can get accomodations which will be in great demand.

January 25th, 2013 1:42 am

4. Jumbo Shrimp

Lowell
    I wouldn’t be surprised if you were to win an award for this article! This is why you are the Madden of journalists.
    On another note, have you read “Finding the Winning Edge” and is it worth $150 if I want to deepen my appreciation for the game and have a little piece of literary history?

(I like special books like my turn-of-the-20th century Shakespeare complete works!)

Oh, and most importantly, best with Lady Cohn :)

January 25th, 2013 12:13 pm

5. AngusinCanada

A Guy writes a great little article. Another guy reads it. And thinks about it.
    Another guy is reminded of Jaqen H’ghar.

All the best with your family, Lowell.

January 26th, 2013 10:00 am

Speaking of media..Brent Musberger was ripped for saying miss ‘bama was a trophy?. I just saw a pic of Tiger with his ex .
    Brent told no lies.

January 26th, 2013 7:32 pm

Speaking of sports media advertisers. Explain to me how ’5 Hour Energy Drink’ can run a commercial of a guy running a marathon while knitting a sweater? or play tennis and sing his debut album?…and then that company says its not a STIMULANT??
    Just me or does it sound like any other stimulant? And the no crash? Hows that?
    Its kind of sad that the PGA allows a golfer to wear a hat with gaudy 5 hour decal. It’s just more pushing of the drug culture for young people.

January 27th, 2013 4:18 pm

Today’s BANG had a fantasy piece by Dan Brown at how Jed rebuilt the 49ers..and signed Harbaugh with “shrewd maneuvering” Convincing Jim take much less then Miami’s offer because-and Harbaugh agreed- Jed had “A vision”. If you buy that load of crap,then you were that sucker born on the 60th second.
    Jim idolized Walsh,Jed under pressure to find somebody was not confident in Harbaugh and made it clear he wouldn’t outbid for him. Just dumb luck of a rich kid..Harbaugh wanted HIS vision,not Jed’s.
    And as for Harbaugh backing up Jed’s story? That’s the same Jim who went across country with his GM.and had no interest in Peyton Manning. None.
    Jim has no qualms telling whoppers to the media. None.

January 28th, 2013 8:38 am