Most of you who read this blog are 49ers fans. I don’t mean to annoy you with what I am about to write. I pick the Ravens to defeat the 49ers in Sunday’s Super Bowl. The 49ers are an excellent team and they’ve had quite a season. It’s just that — in my opinion — they don’t do quite so well against tough teams, teams that punch them back, teams with a power running game, teams with a good offensive line. They had trouble with the Vikings, Seahawks and Rams, teams in that mold. I think they will have trouble with the Ravens and will lose a brutal game. Plus, the Ravens beat them last season, and past form matters to me. The final score? I don’t have a clue.

As for Grant, he picks the Ravens, too. Read his reasons why here

Comments

1. Glenn

Seems to me that I recall your picking the 49ers to win the
    Super Bowl on Chronicle Live prior to the start of the playoffs.
    I think you need to run for political office Lowell since most
    voters have short memories…

February 1st, 2013 1:39 pm

2. ST

I think you need to rethink your analysis because it is half-baked at best. First off, the game against the Ravens last year. Not only has there been a QB change since then qith a much more potent offense, but that was after a short week (played Monday night game) and then had to travel cross country for the Thursday Thanksgiving game. So, that wasn’t exactly the best comparison for the super bowl with 2 weeks prep.

Second, of the games you mentioned – Minnesota, Rams, and Seahawks – one was with Alex Smith as qb. so scratch that one. The seahawks game was after the marathon game against new england cross country trip. The 49ers defense had been on the field for more than 90 snaps, the equivalent of a game and a half. no wonder the defense was tired. And the rams – if you recall, Akers missed the game winning field goals in both matches.

I wish you and you family the best, but it is obvious you have had a lot on your mind. Take a moment to rethink this game and what you owe your readers. If you are going to try to predict and analyze the Super Bowl, please put some thought into it. otherwise, just watch and enjoy the game.

I have been reading you for more than 10 years and I expect better.

February 1st, 2013 1:44 pm

3. chewie

What you write makes sense, but I don’t see the Ravens as a power running team. Rice is a nifty jump cutter running behind a makeshift O line that has gotten good at pass protection late in the season. In the playoffs the Raven have won throwing the deep ball, not because of their power run game. In this game I think the Niner D line starts doing line stunts (which they have not done in the playoffs) to get Aldon Smith some sacks and win the battles on both the D and O lines.
    Niners 28 Ravens 24

February 1st, 2013 1:49 pm

4. chewie

P.S. – the team the Ravens beat last season that only had three days rest is completely different now. Kaep is not going to sit back like a statue like Smith and let Suggs sack him all day. Plus, if the bogus penalty that negated the pass to Ginn is not called, Niners had a good chance to win. Past form should not factor in the game.

February 1st, 2013 1:52 pm

5. mendozaline

I enjoy your predictions Lowell. This year told us that the A’s were irrelevant, the Giant’s were dead, and Harbaugh was over-rated. I know that you don’t write about Hockey, but could you please make an exception this one time and predict that the Sharks will collapse when the playoffs start.

February 1st, 2013 2:01 pm

6. Larry Rowe

Cohn when are you going to admitt tha JH, GR and VF are great coaches.
    I see the 49ers winning this one. I see the first and second quaters are going to be a battle, but come the 3rd and 4th quater the Ravins will be exhausted.
    But I would not be surprised if the Ravens win. You are right we have not played well against power teams. But this is a whole new team. Whole new game. Winner take all.
    God Bless you and your family

February 1st, 2013 2:11 pm

7. eatMYcumulous

The Ravens are not the bullies everyone remembers from 2000.

This year the cream rises again, 49ers 31- Ravens 20. The Niners are just TOO TALENTED and TOO FOCUSED to lose, strippers be damned.

Ravens get a TD with less than 30 seconds left to make the score respectable.

February 1st, 2013 2:32 pm

Decent reasoning, but I still disagree. The NFC is the superior conference. We’ve been sharpened by tougher competition overall. The Ravens were only 2-2 against a moderately talented NFC East division and 2 – 4 overall against playoff teams.

I actually think the Niners will win fairly easily. Flacco and his receivers could give us trouble in 3 wide sets, but hopefully, we’ve learned something from the Atlanta game and have adjusted the nickel packages. The Falcons had superior talent as well, so this game should be easier. We’re just so much more dynamic offensively with Kaep than we’ve been in so long. We have so many options now and can beat teams in a variety of ways. Unless Kaep finally cracks under the pressure and makes several turnovers, I don’t think the Ravens can keep up with our offense. If we score early, the Ravens will have to scrap their running game anyways, so Rice won’t factor in there.

February 1st, 2013 2:37 pm

9. Jim Bancroft

It comes down to Kaepernick. If he shrugs off the SB media distractions and keeps his head on 3rd down without making dumb, back-foot passes while under pressure, the 49ers are in very good shape. If it’s the Colin we saw in St Louis and Seattle (or in spots in other games) then the Ravens have an excellent chance.

February 1st, 2013 2:39 pm

Lowell are you changing your mind, you picked the Niners all of the way on that Comcast Show a few weeks ago. Are you waffling?

February 1st, 2013 2:40 pm

11. lameduck

Younger brothers are smarter and better looking than older brothers but older brothers tend to have the upper hand in competition.

February 1st, 2013 2:40 pm

mendozaline, You got me. No argument on your comment on my predictions. Hope all is well.

February 1st, 2013 2:46 pm

Neal, I can’t remember that far back. I’m not waffling. I’m just stupid. I’m still going with the Ravens.

February 1st, 2013 2:49 pm

14. Terry

I quit subscribing to the SF Chronicle back in the 80′s because of Lowell Cohn and his negative view of Bay Area teams (especially the 49ers).
    SF can do this!

February 1st, 2013 3:12 pm

15. Bob D.

Another article from the Glen Dickey school of sports writing. Say anything to annoy readers as a way to get attention. Like most writers, fans, and former players, Cohn’s opinion isn’t worth anything.

Fans should enjoy what should be a very close game.

February 1st, 2013 3:20 pm

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~ALOHA~

February 1st, 2013 3:21 pm

17. paulbleedsblue

Neal is correct Lowell, I watched that episode! Last year they beat the Alex Smith 49ers. New era upon us. Go Kaep. We can’t rely on our kicking game though — it’s TD or nothing … 28-24, 49ers.

February 1st, 2013 3:25 pm

18. tkh

You made me laugh on this one. Not the prediction. Anyone can have a prediction and your reasoning is as good as anyone else’s reasoning. No, what made me laugh was the good spirit with which you took the comments from mendozaline and neal about your past predictions…good show!

February 1st, 2013 3:32 pm

19. Gary

Lowell, You picked the Patriots to beat the 49ers. Yes, I know they almost did, but still …

February 1st, 2013 3:55 pm

20. glenellen

Thank You for picking the Ravens. You two are wrong so often this is a good sign.

All week I have been listening to NFL Network and Comcast, all the critiqueing and so on. So here is my 2 cents:
    The Ravens are good against the run but they are old and slow and some of their defensive stars are playing hurt. Kaepernick will get around the end and have a big day. I think they stop Gore so Kaep will be the star of the day. He will also have a big passing day.

The Ravens QB is unproven in big games (8 TDS & 8 picks).
    49er defense will stop them.

When 49er offense gets into Ravens territory, past their 40, it will be 4 down territory. 49ers will play on 4th down alot.

Yes I am a life long 49er fan but I can’t see the Ravens winning. The Ravens are more lucky to be here than good.
    On their game winning touchdown, Denver should have intercepted the ball. But Denver defense was poor.

February 1st, 2013 4:05 pm

21. KezarMike

In the 2nd SB against Cinci, as the 49ers got down in the huddle at the start of the winning NINETY TWO yard drive, Bubba Paris later said “I looked over at the bare finger of Joe Montana and the Super Bowl ring appeared.” Yeah, that is how strong Montana’s intentions became reality. There was more there than just his physical abilities (as enormous as his athletic talents were). These are two tough, physical teams, two good QBs, two good RBs …. an evenly matched contest. My feeling is that Kaep – like Montana – is the difference and the 49ers come out on top.

February 1st, 2013 4:07 pm

22. Dr. Feelgood

Your call is as good/poor as any. Uncertainty is the very best thing in Sports. Thankfully, anything can happen, and often does. Without it, why care?
    I am looking forward to a great game.
    Go Niners.

February 1st, 2013 4:09 pm

23. John Sousa

I read both yours and Grant’s, and Grant in particular ignores Kaepernick. Says the ravens stopped Gore and made him one-dimensional. If Alex Smith is the QB that’s totally true. You make good points about tough teams hitting them in the mouth, and that might be true, though. Should be a pretty good game.

February 1st, 2013 4:44 pm

24. RZ

Lowell, What is the purpose in predicting a winner? Does it influence the outcome of the game? And what is the purpose in irritating your fan base? If the niners lose and you say “I told you so” I swear I’ll never read you again.

February 1st, 2013 4:46 pm

25. Gopal

Your prediction aside, I have not seen a team lose momentum like this during sb week in a while.

Their pr blunders have made them the villains seemingly, and I have seen long time fans turn on them since yesterday.

I will be rooting for them in the game, but frankly I’m embarrassed right now.

February 1st, 2013 5:22 pm

26. RC

Your wrong.

Niners will win going away, this is not a fan speaking, they have a much better team.

February 1st, 2013 5:22 pm

27. Tom

If the refs start calling crazy roughing the passer penalties and forget about PI, the Niners win, just like that game against the Falcons.

Who wins? whoever the referee’s want to win

February 1st, 2013 6:55 pm

28. Tom

And my Seahwaks should be there, it just didnt fit the NFL’s Harbaugh Bowl

February 1st, 2013 6:57 pm

Bob D, I always have admired Glenn Dickey.

February 1st, 2013 7:01 pm

Terry, I’ve been missing you.

February 1st, 2013 7:02 pm

glenellen, You’re right. I am a lousy predictor.

February 1st, 2013 7:03 pm

RZ, Why so sensitive?

February 1st, 2013 7:04 pm

33. Loneraider78

At the next family gathering, one of the brothers will be staring across the dinner table at the other’s Super Bowl ring. I’d love to be a fly on the wall.

February 1st, 2013 7:05 pm

Lowell, your pick scares me because you are usually right, while I would perfer Grant to pick the Ravens as he is not so hot, but you did pick the Niners over the Rams, so that is my out.

February 1st, 2013 7:28 pm

Ravens receivers are scary. Big and sure handed and ready to pluck balls out of the air even when they are covered cause Niner backs don’t play the ball… .they play the man and give up big plays to good quarterbacks.
    Ravens defense held Brady to 13 points. Are you kidding me? They gave up 21 points to Manning plus two kickoff returns. Holding Manning to 21 points at Denver over 5 quarters is impressive.
    I don’t know who will win. Niners need to be tough against physical teams like you said Lowell. Kaepernick is the wildcard. He is not only gifted but he has poise and a fierce instinct to come through in big games …all the way in college and in the Pros. He won some games that Smith would have lost and the Niners would not be here. It should be a great game but I can’t predict who will hoist the trophy.

February 1st, 2013 9:35 pm

36. Streetglide

You dinged my comment?? Because I said you and Grant hate Harbaugh and if the Niners win you won’t have anything to write about them until next summer??? Where am I either wrong or out of bounds on that Lowell-san? Both have you have been at best snide about the coach since he arrived and downright unkind at worst. And???

sheesh…

February 2nd, 2013 6:01 am

In the past, before Kaepernick, the job of the 49ers offense was to not lose the game. That has now switched. The job of the defense is to not lose the game. Baltimore offense should not be confused with Atlanta’s. Atlanta has a lot more talent at just about every position on the offensive side. The 49ers will win because our defense will not lose. I predict that Akers will kick the game winning field goal with 10 sec. left only because he is do to make one.

February 2nd, 2013 8:02 am

38. dharte

The problem with your analysis is that you ignore speed. Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Pollard are slow by comparison, and none of them can run with Davis, Gore or James.

So the question is whether Jim Harbaugh and Greg Roman can scheme well enough to isolate the Ravens, and Ray Lewis especially.

One other point: Lewis has always dominated because of intimidation, the whole act is about instilling fear in running backs, receivers, and of course quarterbacks, and he’s a little like Butkus in this way (though not nearly as frightening!). Have you ever seen Frank Gore intimidated?

Neither have I.

49ers win if the kid plays a good–not great–game. They blow them out if Kaepernick gets hot as well. Now if he chokes and finally plays like a rookie, my Alex Smith comments over the last two months all come back to haunt us!

February 2nd, 2013 8:19 am

39. Bill Williamkill

Mah Gawd Lowell, you just like to be contrary, don’t you amigo? You can’t feel the mojo? And a very fast field of astro turf, a relatively bi-partison crowd and Akers getting voodoo doctored out of his mental block down there in the swamps? So even are the teams but Flacco as good as his recievers, will get his come-uppence. This will be Colin’s show. He was made for the super dome. It’s the edge that will win. Oh course all the niners feel that this is their game, their field, their dome.
    Ravens 24 Niners 38. I’m telling ya Akers got voodoo’d back to form.

February 2nd, 2013 8:39 am

40. Larry Harris

Lowell, you’re wrong. And here’s why…to music. (All in fun.)

February 2nd, 2013 10:10 am

In the last day or two this is what I heard or read:

Eight head coaches have been hired by the NFL teams. All eight were Caucasian. The Rooney rule is being circumvented.

David Duke,former leader of the KKK is a standing Louisiana state legislator.

Eddie D.Bartolo is denied the HOF because of bribes paid to the former Governor of Louisiana.

Somethings just wont change or die easily.

February 2nd, 2013 11:40 am

The Jim’s 28-26 over the John’s.

February 2nd, 2013 11:41 am

43. Daniel Frankel

The whole possible scenario involving this super bowl has changed because of Kaepernick. Lowell, I often agree with you, but this time you are dead wrong–and you can take this to the bank:

The Forty Niners will not only win this game, but do so in an impressive fashion. I see them beating the Ravens by at least 10 points.

PS–I’m glad your wife is doing well. Go Niners!

February 3rd, 2013 8:19 am

What kind of kook put on his only red (dark red) T-shirt on today?. Me.

February 3rd, 2013 12:24 pm