It’s not like this is a major bulletin, but I had Grant discontinue my Facebook account. I don’t need Facebook and don’t like it, and I never read it. It’s much too public for me, and — sorry — but I don’t care that much about what’s happening in so many people’s lives. I care about the people I care about. I originally got Facebook because, for a while, the Press Democrat funneled my blog comments through it. I think that was on the orders of the NY Times, our former owner. Now my comments go directly to my blog and that means Facebook lost its utility for me. See ya.

Comments

1. Steve the cat rescuer

Despite constant prodding by friends and colleagues, I never signed up for FaceBook. I’m not comfortable giving away my privacy rights, which is the essence of FaceBook’s ever-changing privacy policies. Many of those that did sign up have deserted it for Twitter. I’m not on that either. Email works for me, as does getting the info and updates I need from the Internet. Call me old-fashined, but there’s nothing like face to face conversation or if that’s not possible, the telephone.

February 7th, 2013 7:20 pm

2. Jumbo Shrimp

Good work. I want to do the same, but … I’m not as spiny as you

February 7th, 2013 7:48 pm

3. George

I’m with you. But it’s indispensible to a young person.

February 7th, 2013 8:09 pm

4. Dannysera

Good for you Lowell.
    Never understood the need for common folk to discuss their every move to a base of people who really don’t care…they’re just “sickly” curious. Every new invention has it’s +’s and -’s…Facebook and Twitter have for more -’s than most users can foresee. I understand the need to share with family and close friends….but not to an entire web based community.
    Hope Mrs. Cohn Zone is resting comfortably.
    Take care young man. You too Grant.

February 7th, 2013 9:05 pm

5. Dr. Feelgood

Don’t get me started!
    Good for you Lowell, for ditching that soul-sucking gimmick. I was talked into an account and- what a bonanza! Hundreds of new ‘friends”!. Suddenly everyone wants to be my friend, people I have absolutely no clue of who they are, or where, or why they want to be my friend. I’m not interesting enough to justify such action. Hundreds of new friends that I have no inclination or reason to communicate with.
    I shut down my account after about ten days.
    A caveat- to disengage totally from Facebook is a multi-tiered exercise. There are layers of settings that need to be changed.

February 7th, 2013 10:05 pm

No argument here.

February 7th, 2013 10:09 pm

Your not missing anything on snoozebook.

February 8th, 2013 6:26 am

8. Blind Tom

Thing about Facebook is you can really upset a bunch of folks if you are on the wrong side of the conversation…

February 8th, 2013 6:37 am

Last post I made was around 05 there. I would delete,but don’t want to offend people..in real life. Same for twitter.

Eh,your a person of your times and nothing can change that. And social media isn’t of my time’s prime.

February 8th, 2013 8:45 am

Still take the home delivered newspaper to read at lunch. No i pad or the like .Still using eyeballs.

February 8th, 2013 8:47 am

11. Jim Bancroft

You’ll feel liberated Lowell. Well done.

Now without that distraction can we expect some Tim Kawakami-length blog posts?

February 8th, 2013 10:35 am

12. drowningboy

Atta boy Lowell!

Toofacedbook is the most evil invention the internet ever created. Can’t imagine how I got by all those years with a little black book filled with phone numbers. In those cases if indeed contact was made with someone from the past it had a feel of fate to it. Now anyone can find anyone and frankly I don’t need or want most of those people in my life anymore.

Curious also how many marriages have been ruined by rekindled romances initiated by “innocent” friend requests?

The Unabomber was right.

February 8th, 2013 10:42 am

Kreuger again showed that you are public enemy no.1 to him With a mean rant about you.Meanwhile why he hated you was more like Krueger having a public enema. Only he cares.

February 8th, 2013 10:58 am

14. Brandon Conway

You had a Facebook account?

February 8th, 2013 12:22 pm

15. Frank in Minnesota

I am with you on Facebook Lowell…my friends encouraged me to sign up but then….what do i do with it? I have made just three or four visits in three years to that site…..i do not relate to it, it’s not my style…..

February 8th, 2013 2:04 pm

16. gary

I disagree.
    I have met/chatted with interesting people on all continents.
    Among my Facebook Friends, are the two highest
    rated chess players in the world—-it is easy to ignore unwanted information/unfriend as needed.
    and yes, I am old.

February 8th, 2013 2:18 pm

17. Albert Park

Facebook sucks! Good move, Lowell.

February 8th, 2013 11:38 pm