Here is the opening to my Monday column:

Linda puts on my makeup around 4:30 in the afternoon. She dabs color over my blemishes and age spots, and then she sprays my entire face with color. With the makeup I look 10 years younger, like a guy who hangs out at the beach even in winter. With the makeup I’m ready to go.

I never thought I’d be the makeup type. I mean, come on. It’s just that once a week, I’m a guest on CSNBayArea’s show “Chronicle Live,” and if I don’t have makeup under those bright lights I’d look like a cadaver. Maybe you’ve seen me sitting on the set, yakking about sports from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m., listening to producer Adam Littlefield talking in my earpiece — “Video coming up.” The set is exactly where I’ll be this afternoon.

But I’m not here to brag about my little TV career or to swap makeup tips. I’m here to talk about the Green Room. It really is green, and the hosts and guests gather there before going on TV, and what happens in the Green Room is as interesting as what happens on air.

To read the full column, click here.

Comments

1. htwaits

Great stuff!

Once upon a time, after I helped save the world from the Russian, after I finished a BA that I never used, I was a house mother in one of the first dorms at San Jose State College for two years. Harry Edwards was one of my freshmen the first year. I know two years worth of Dr. Harry’s stories. He must have tons of them by now. Harry was a freshman that no one overlooked or manipulated. He’s an amazing guy.

February 17th, 2013 11:48 pm

2. Albert Park

Another classic column, in which you give us a peek behind the magic curtain into the secret world of sportswriting. Thanks, Lowell.

February 18th, 2013 12:56 am

3. Ben

I need a makeup artist.

Funny note about athletes and their pick-up lines. A female friend of mine was on the receiving end of a great one. I won’t mention the name, but it was along the lines of “Are you ready to **** Joe Shmo?” I’ll give you a clue… it started with a “P” and ended with an “at Burrell”.

February 18th, 2013 6:52 am

4. mike

One of my friends thought himself to be dazzling with his notorious pick-up lines. At the conclusion of an evening of drinking and dancing, he had circled the wagons and chosen his prey. He asked her if she would like to have breakfast in the morning. She said yes, and his response was, “should I call you or just nudge you?”

February 18th, 2013 10:10 am

The Ann Killion green room stories are best. Just too bad that she can never let that repressed angry liberalness out. Her views of local media and the big names…just circulate as rumors. She might even have some about me.
    I guess you can say it,just don’t write it?..or lose the cred? The locker room cred?

Worst pick up line ever? “I locked the door and you can’t get out”.

February 18th, 2013 11:45 am

Well,unless you can say your name is George Clooney…

February 18th, 2013 12:38 pm

As much as I hated it at first? I can now see the wisdom of bringing your own bags. I don’t see plastic doing it’s impersonation of tumbleweeds on the freeway. Or the miles of chain link fence flapping the “We pollute the world “flags” of torn plastic bags whipping in the winds. Nothing was uglier then that.

February 18th, 2013 2:40 pm

Henry Wolford today to John Lund after they didn’t agree about one on one basketball “You need to open a can of shut the hell up” lol..and that’s why I love diversity. Barry Tomkins saying that to Ostler?..

February 18th, 2013 3:41 pm