I don’t get the jump shot. I really don’t. I understand why someone takes a jumper if the defender is right there. Sure. You want to jump high and got the shot over the defender. I don’t understand why players take a jump shot if they are wide open. What’s the advantage over taking a set shot? Can someone help me here.

Comments

1. J Canseco

Because that’s what you practice. It’s practical in most situations because it incorporates movement. In basketball there is rarely not movement. A set shot requires stillness and planted feet, which is rare.

March 6th, 2013 10:15 am

2. htwaits

It’s been about forty years since a berried my last jumper or one handed set shot. When I was a freshman in High School we still had leather balls for practice. I’m too young for the two handed set shot.

Very few shots are “open”, so I assume that today’s players are better at jump shots. Also, they’re not stepping into the defender with a jump shot, and you can shoot a jumper on the move. Every thing is on the move now.

A better question is why no one shoots free throws like Rick Barry.

March 6th, 2013 11:11 am

Habit.
    ~ALOHA~

March 6th, 2013 12:48 pm

4. dolph schayes

because they’re afraid of looking sissy. same reason why these clunkers won’t shoot foul shots underhanded.

March 6th, 2013 12:58 pm

Because genetically tall freaks require a high trajectory to shoot over even freakier tall freaks. What us normal sized people do, wont do on the court. I mean,can you palm a basketball? Only the NBA player and E.T. can do that.

March 6th, 2013 1:16 pm

6. B-Rad

Oakland Hills Jewish Community Center……………..Monday… MAR 4, 2013 ..2:30 PM

Seniors Basketball Coach Greenspan: “Lowell! Lowell! What the hell was that? When
    you waddl…….when you race down the sideline you can’t stop, take the time to
    plant both feet, eye the basket, bend your knees, grab the ball firmly with both
    hands and then casually loft a set shot. I want you to elevate in stride and take
    a jump shot. I shouldn’t have to tell you this.”

Lowell Cohn: “Uh, that was my jump sho…..”

Coach Greenspan; “Think elevation sensation. You don’t still drive a ’56 Plymouth
    do you? Well, don’t play basketball like it was invented 4 months ago. In 2 weeks
    we’ve got the Brooklyn Graybeards coming in from the neighborhood and you’re
    likely going to be guarded by Vasquez. I know he’s only 5’1″, but if you’re going to
    stand there and shoot like a dead potato, he’s going to ram that thing down
    your gullet and turn you into Smashed Potato Fricassee. He’s a tough SOB.”

Lowell Cohn: “I’m pretty sure there’s no such thing as Smashed Potato Fricassee.”

Coach Greenspan: “Don’t be the first.”

March 6th, 2013 3:28 pm

7. ali hoop

Because you shoot with your legs. That’s why shooting percentages go down when players are tired. Set shots rely too much on just arms.

March 6th, 2013 3:55 pm

You shoot with your legs and also the set shot starts at a point that is to close to the ground for today’s game. The shot blocking stat would be incredible.

March 7th, 2013 4:47 pm

9. htwaits

B-Rad,

Sign me up. I’m ready to go.

March 7th, 2013 7:48 pm