Here is the opening to my Sunday column. In it Bruce Bochy analyzes his team:

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Imagine me as a stand-in for you. The other day, I met privately with Bruce Bochy and asked basic questions about his team, questions I imagine you would ask. I hope you enjoy.

Cohn: You have lots of guys at the World Baseball Classic — seven major leaguers, one minor leaguer. Does this negatively impact the Giants?

Bochy: I don’t think so. I’m all for the WBC and for our guys to represent their countries. We pretty much have the same club we had last year. The part of learning to play as a club, to play together, they know how to do that. I don’t think we’re going to miss too much. I try to look at the silver lining. It’s a chance for younger players to show what they can do.

(Analytical Interruption: Bochy may be right that the WBC will have no negative impact on the Giants. But spring training is a slow-developing phenomenon. It feels like players — Pablo Sandoval, Marco Scutaro, Sergio Romo etc. — were yanked out of recess and told to play at an intense championship level. When the WBC ends, they will relax again. This is an abnormal rhythm. Will it affect the Giants when they make their late-season push? Back to the interview.)

To read the full column, click here.

Comments

1. Ben

i want to be optimistic, i really do. but i think you got to the heart of it… if timmy isn’t “timmy” … if pence doesn’t revert to his career mean … and unless we find some surprise power in the outfield (and maybe belt) … it’s hard to see another championship team.

March 10th, 2013 9:16 am

2. Frank in Minnesota

Nice interview…love the still (moonshine?) story from the other interview…reminds me of my neigbor who’s dad made wine and used to deliver it along with milk to the neighbors (1920′s and 30′s)…anyway, tim seems pretty happy and and that could be a positive sign but i do worry about Pence and that low average…also, Sandoval at some point will feel his girth and not be able to be the ball player he could be, maybe he will get away with it this year but eventually one has to be in ‘athletic’ condition….

March 10th, 2013 11:13 am

3. glenellen

Thanks Lowell.

March 10th, 2013 12:41 pm

So…if Lincecum hasn’t really been a power pitcher since before the second Cy Young Award…

What the heck happened last year?

March 10th, 2013 6:18 pm

5. Joe H.

Another fine piece of sports writing.

Read the Press this morning and I humbly witnessed one of the best professional sports team managers discuss in such frank dialog his team with you. (You should write a book about the Bochy-era Giants..Really!)

Bochy is, as you keenly noted a few months back, the very best professional manager in the bay area. Sorry, 49ers, but that’s the truth.

His blunt, but honest assessment about Sandoval’s weight problem is the truth, and he shows exactly how to handle it, by giving Pablo the internal strength, not horse whips and loud voices. to solve it himself.

He knows the young guys need more experience. Health issues are the main issue. Staying healthy throughout the long season.

No confidence problem with Timmy.

Bochy knows baseball. He’s cool as a cucumber.

March 10th, 2013 7:55 pm

As you know I’ve felt Lincecum has been battling issue’s that manifest in huge weight losses and trashing upscale rental homes. And seeing his drastic change of hair do as I listen to him speak to the media?..He sounds like he’s talking to a therapist,opening up about overcoming this or that,and how he thinks people perceive him,etc,etc.
    I’m telling you,when he writes that book after his career has ended,its going to have some deep deep emotions and roots to it.

March 12th, 2013 6:29 pm