It is always an event when 49ers GM Trent Baalke speaks to the media. Today, he spoke. Well, not really. He issued a statement. So let me rephrase the above. It is always an event when the media-shy Baalke issues a statement. He issued a statement after signing safety Craig Dahl, to wit:
“We are pleased to announce the signing of Craig. He is an experienced veteran with excellent intangibles, who has working knowledge of the NFC West.”
If you’ll permit me, I’d like to analyze Baalke’s words, as actual words from him are so rare.
1. Baalke is pleased he signed Dahl.
2. Dahl is experienced, which means he’s played a while, nothing more.
3. Dahl has excellent intangibles. Baalke does not say what those intangibles are — Dahl’s a good dancer? — and more importantly, he does not say Dahl is excellent at performing the basic functions of a safety.
4. Dahl has a working knowledge of the NFC West. Sure, but does Dahl have superior working knowledge? I mean, working knowledge is vague and may mean only so-so knowledge.
5. All in all this a lukewarm review. Here’s what I want to know and Baalke never said: Can the guy play? Is he even a starter?