Here is the opening to my Sunday column about Giants’ right fielder Hunter Pence:

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – With Hunter Pence it’s the eyes.

You walk up to some players early on a spring-training morning and the eyes look away. It’s like — “This is way too soon for talk. Let me drink my coffee and get ready for life.”

Not with Pence. His eyes are inviting. You might even say absorbing. They are open wider than most eyes, almost startled, and it seems he never blinks. Maybe he sees more than everyone else.

He is sitting at his locker, gazing around the clubhouse. That is what he does, he gazes. You ask for a minute of his time. You say the subject is awkward. He perks up. You say the subject literally is awkward. You tell Pence he looks awkward when he plays baseball.

To read the full column, click here.

Comments

The most painless suicide would have to be sitting between Pence and Mark Kreidler of thegame. The two of them staring at me with those crazy,bulging eyes would be fatal.

March 17th, 2013 9:44 am

Death by anxiety!

March 17th, 2013 9:45 am

Your one on one interviews are always excellent.

You treat these young men so well and endeavor to assist them in expressing themselves.

You did the same thing with Coach Singletary, GM Reggie, and the Warriors GM.

Given the rip jobs that so many of these people face from some other journalists…it’s a puzzlement to me as to why they’re not all beating a path to your door for the opportunity to honestly express themselves…

March 17th, 2013 12:20 pm

Five Hour Energy Drink has in small print on the label: “Excess use of this product causes Hunter Pence eyes”

March 17th, 2013 1:49 pm

It would make a great song “He’s got Hunter Pence eyes”. Quick!,somebody contact Kim Carnes!

March 17th, 2013 1:52 pm

6. Frank in Minnesota

Excellent interview Lowell….I see Pence differently now, more engaging and very unselfish type player…great read!!!!

March 17th, 2013 3:03 pm

Well,it did make me think- once again- why you could never be sportswriter of the year. They would never ask Pence about his most prominent quirk. And that’s why you can take all the sportswriter of the year,past and present-and runner ups- articles,toss them into the round file and if they aren’t labeled,nobody could tell the difference. And that’s the truth.

March 17th, 2013 4:30 pm

8. lameduck

I’m sitting in state church in Philly, and I ask this guy about the Phillies anx his basic response was, what more do you want, we already gave you Hunter Pence. Hunter is missed back here…

March 17th, 2013 8:15 pm

9. Frank in Minnesota

I agree with Stan, Lowell…you deserve more recognition…we’ll start a fan club for you…….!

March 18th, 2013 12:17 pm