Here is the opening to my Monday column about the Oakland Raiders:

Shame on the Oakland Raiders. Shame on Raiders’ owner Mark Davis, such a silly man.

The Raiders fired their head public relations man on Saturday, although he’d been banned from the Raiders’ facility before that. The man’s name is Zak Gilbert and he’s a good guy, and this firing makes Mark Davis seem like a twit — not for the first time in his life.

You may be thinking, “Why should I care if a PR guy gets the axe?”

It’s a fair question. I’ll try to explain.

To read the entire column, please click here.

Comments

1. Vijay

Lowell,

Good column and I can see your point when a good PR guy gets fired. But does that necessarily mean Raiders are going back to Al days. What if Mark hires another good PR guy to fill Zak’s role? So i am not sure if it’s a bit premature to think that the wall will come back up again. Totally agree on the analysis of the firing. Seems like Mark Davis needs media training so that he knows what’s on the record and what’s not.

~Vijay

June 3rd, 2013 6:35 am

2. RYD

Lowell

Why no articles about Amy Trask leaving the Raiders?

June 3rd, 2013 7:13 am

RYD, The circumstances of Amy Trask leaving are murky to me. I get the feeling Mark Davis wanted to clean house from the previous administration. This is my assumption. He’s entitled to do that. But with Zak Gilbert, Mark hired the guy and then let him go for such petty reasons. It is a window into who Mark is.

June 3rd, 2013 8:41 am

If Gilbert got fired for the reason you stated, and I am not questioning you, the Raiders long nightmare will continue to go on and on and on. That cannot be a fun place to work.

June 3rd, 2013 8:54 am

5. Blorch Z Neefcamp

While the timing of the SI piece might make lead one to believe otherwise, I highly doubt that’s why the guy got fired. Not that I have any alternative theories; I just don’t believe that’s why he got fired.

June 3rd, 2013 9:32 am

6. loneraider78

The PR guy!?

How will we ever go on?!!!

mole hill>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>mountain.

June 3rd, 2013 9:45 am

Mark Davis is angry. Angry at how last season went. He thought he did enough to make the team a playoff team and instead they sunk like a rock.
    If Mark Davis did learn football? He keeps flamboyant Jackson,who brought the action (tm pat.pend) to the house. Then gets somebody who knew defense. They still could have have shed contracts this year.
    I don’t know Lowell,Hue did the job and the bay area media hated him. And he lost his job. The PR guy is more of the same.

June 3rd, 2013 9:53 am

Outside of a core group of aging fanatics the Raiders and A’s continue to circle the bowl of irrelevancy.

Perhaps we can call it ” the curse of O.co” that two of the worst ownership groups in all of sports inhabit the same building.

The only guy happy to see the way these bums are running their franchises into the ground is the guy who makes the tarps to cover the acres of empty seats…

The rest of us are left to shake our heads in wonder…

June 3rd, 2013 10:12 am

9. glenellen

So this is like the definition of insanity.

June 3rd, 2013 10:19 am

10. glenellen

And now we know it runs in the family.

June 3rd, 2013 10:21 am

11. Steve the cat rescuer

While we don’t know the exact reasons Gilbert was fired, one thing is certain: the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. I look forward to the reappearance of the overhead projector.

June 3rd, 2013 10:26 am

12. mbabco

I thought the statement Zak Gilbert made after the firing was pretty classy. Praised the Raiders and thanked them for the opportunity.

June 3rd, 2013 11:11 am

13. mbabco

Loved this tweet:

“You know who would’ve warned #Raiders owner Mark Davis that canning his PR guy would do more damage than @SI_JimTrotter’s story? His PR guy.”

– @jasonjwilde, Jason Wilde of ESPNMilwaukee.

June 3rd, 2013 11:49 am

14. htwaits

I was getting ready for another “there you go again” reaction. I was wrong.

If RM wasn’t on board with this firing, and I don’t see how he could be, I’m left with nothing but the fond memory of the only Raider game I ever saw in person. It was me and a few seagulls at Kesar. Of course that was before AL.

June 3rd, 2013 11:53 am

15. Streetglide

Wow, tough crowd on the other side of this article — where you have to use your Facebook account. Some real believers over there…

June 3rd, 2013 12:14 pm

Yikes, scary stuff if that’s all true. Insecurity doesn’t play well in the NFL. This might be tougher than I first thought bringing this team back from depths.

June 3rd, 2013 12:42 pm

17. loneraider78

I heard Reggie hired him because they had previously been in GB together. Mark Davis did not hire him. And he was relieved of his duties back in mid april, before the draft, so this isnt exactly hot off the press news here.

Business goes on.

Thought you’d like to know you’re getting some love on the Raider blog, most guys think this is yet another opportunity to badmouth someone named Davis and is equally petty to the firing itself.

June 3rd, 2013 12:48 pm

Maggie Smith stealing from Noel Coward on aging : ” Breakfast seems to come every half hour”. I know Christmas tree shopping is a few days away.

June 3rd, 2013 2:23 pm

19. Troy

You people are raider haters. period Mark fired him because of the crap over the article from SI report about, Al Davis and the lies that were made up. I know Al davis screwed up he refused to move on like the rest of the NFL. Zach was a broncos fan anyway, so this job was just a paycheck he did not care about the raiders. Zach had no loyalty to the raiders. You people fault Mark with this lies he brought Reggie in and, he he got rid of the dead money and they have 8 million dollars under cap. He brought free agents and draft picks, that want to win. You all can go on hating the raiders like the NFL and the ESPN and the NFL network. You are jealous because raider nation always supported the team when they were a laughing stock. Now the raiders are rebuilding the team and organization and you cannot stand it so you all keep talking smack about the raider.

June 3rd, 2013 4:40 pm

20. Tommy CostaRica

Good call Lowell I liked every bit of it especially your foundation that Mark earned none of it. As bad as Al was in the end he was even better when he built that organization and helped shape the league almost like no other! Also what happened to Mark’s appearance, he looks like he’s not living right, not handling fame and all the cash, his face looks so white and swollen and every time I see him he looks worse????

June 3rd, 2013 5:01 pm

Well,this does harken back to that psychoanalysis article written Stan like,of Mark Davis being bullied by his father in front of Raider execs. The result he said was that Mark wants to rid himself of anybody who was there to see that.
    And that’s what he’s done. I guess until they win,anybody else will not live to tell Mark tales also…

June 3rd, 2013 6:06 pm

ah yes…….bizarreness is back in Raiderland or I guess it never left…….longtime Raider fans like myself are so glad to hear this because turning the team into a generic NFL franchise like Lowell was hoping is the farthest thing Raider fans want. AL never did that, he always wanted to be different and it looks like Mark is keeping the tradition alive so that there’s no boredom in Oakland.

and Tiburon Dave………..A’s are one of the best teams in baseball so thats a bizarre comment on your part…..looks like you’ve something in common with Mark Davis.

June 3rd, 2013 8:29 pm

23. B-Rad

This was a fun, enjoyable and entertaining article.
    Nice job, Lowell!
    You too, Mark – keep up the good work.

June 3rd, 2013 10:16 pm

Chris…

The A’s are a good team but they’re irrelevant because nobody cares…

I went out to a game recently…Bartolo Colon vs. the Rangers…well played through the 7th when I left…

I don’t know what the announced crowd was but there were maybe 5k there…a couple thousand sincere, cow bell toting baseball fans and a couple thousand drunken thugs…

It was a bizarre scene and I won’t be returning anytime soon…

The Fisher kid has enough dough to solve the problem with his lunch money…but he won’t…it’s a sad state of affairs…

June 3rd, 2013 10:51 pm

25. Capts

Thousands of drunken thugs at an A’s game? Wow, you don’t get out much, do you?

June 4th, 2013 8:03 am

26. Bob In Portland

Would like to see the Raiders do well. It may not happen until Davis the Younger sells to someone down in L.A.

June 4th, 2013 11:15 am