How come when I was younger a cold was merely a cold? It’s different in my seventh decade on this rock. I caught a cold on Monday and now I’m laid low with a cold/flu combo. Mrs. Cohn Zohn kicked me out of our bedroom so I won’t get her sick and I’m sleeping in the guest room. And I’m supposed to cover the Raiders game Sunday but that’s out of the question. I’m sleeping a lot and reading The Unbearable Lightness of Being when I don’t have Unbearable Lightness of the Head. Really good book.

Comments

1. Streetglide

Here’s what you need to know about the Raider’s game. First, the are playing some team. Next, they did a great job but costly penalties and turning over the ball was their downfall. There were a few bright spots though…

December 14th, 2013 3:27 pm

Streetglide, I love this comment. Made my day. You’re a clever guy.

December 14th, 2013 3:50 pm

You need to embrace ma nature..get out and dig holes in the yard,get a dog to walk at Tilden.Eat better. Oatmeal breakfasts’s and strong coffee. Less of that fancy book read’in taking up all your spare time. Nobody ever caught a cold being active from Alaska to Hawaii.

And a strong shot or two, or three,of Vodka would help you right now.

December 14th, 2013 4:14 pm

Lowell,

I have had a cold since last Sunday, and still feel like crap, only missed one day of work, I am rarely sick and this sucks, I had the flu about 5 yrs ago, I wanted to die, anyway I learned my lesson and take the annual flu shot now.
    I actually think the Raiders will win, can’t tell you why though, just a sick feeling.

December 14th, 2013 4:26 pm

5. Streetglide

Get well soon Senior…

December 14th, 2013 5:01 pm

6. Tommy CostaRica

You need to retire in Costa Rica, there no cold days here!

December 14th, 2013 6:05 pm

I have not read the book ,but I saw the movie “The Unbearable Lightness of Being” starring Juliette Binoche. She was excellent as always.

December 14th, 2013 6:47 pm

8. glenellen

Not to be a bummer but get this every year for awhile now.
    I bet you did not get a Flu shot.

December 14th, 2013 7:40 pm

glenellen, The pity is I did get the flu shot.

December 14th, 2013 7:56 pm

10. k.g.

Feel better soon Lowell!

December 14th, 2013 7:58 pm

11. Albert Park

Lowell, you get more colds than anyone I’ve heard of. Maybe you need to take more Vitamin C. My wife does and she never gets a cold. (Of course, she’s grouchy all the time, but what the hell …. ).

December 14th, 2013 8:58 pm

Albert Park, I’ve been like this my whole life, a wimp.

December 14th, 2013 9:03 pm

13. Bolobae

Jewish Penicillin (chicken soup) is the secret to a fast recovery.

December 14th, 2013 10:04 pm

14. Tommy CostaRica

Now you won’t feel guilty sitting home and watching football all day and night. It’s going to be a great day for bay area football: 9ers and Raiders win, Seattle and Carolina loose! Enjoy the games!

December 15th, 2013 6:12 am

My advice is to not get the flu shot. I got one once and immediately got as sick as I have ever been. I absolutely refuse to take one now. Flu shots are not for everyone.

December 15th, 2013 7:09 am

16. Steve the cat rescuer

I agree wholeheartedly with Dennis – had the exact same experience the only time I got a flu shot.

December 15th, 2013 10:50 am

17. Bob In Beaverton

Since I retired eight years ago I seem to be remarkable immune to upper respiratory infections.

December 15th, 2013 1:34 pm

Bob in Beaverton, Are you saying I should retire?

December 15th, 2013 1:36 pm

19. Max

Get well soon. Kundera will help. Virtually all his stuff is worth reading.

@johnc: Also liked the film. Loved the look of consternation on the central protagonist’s face when his wife detects a certain scent on him – talk about an “Ah-hah!” moment . . .

Despite the score, we’re gonna have to play better than we did today to beat Seattle at their house.

December 15th, 2013 1:44 pm

20. Kathy

You really do catch a lot of colds. You should wash your hands more frequently, and do nasal rinses daily, you can buy a saline solution at CVS, easier than dealing with a neti pot. Use it 2-3 times a day when you have a cold.

And get a flu shot, despite what Dennis and Steve said, you cannot get the flu from a flu shot, the virus is dead. Correlation is not causation, and for someone as vulnerable to respiratory ailments as you, you need that shot annually, your age is another reason.

But hand washing is key.

December 15th, 2013 2:55 pm

21. Brett

Lowell…SUCK IT UP!

Just kidding…get well soon.

December 16th, 2013 9:08 am