Now that I know what I scapula is and now that I know Bruce Miller may miss the rest of the season, I have a suggestion who the Niners can use at fullback, especially to block for Frank Gore. Not Anthony Dixon. Not a tight end.

How about LaMichael James?

Your thoughts?

Comments

1. Streetglide

Way too small and not a banger…

December 16th, 2013 6:34 pm

2. Pete Carroll

Sheer brilliance! Yes, absolutely right!

December 16th, 2013 6:39 pm

3. JefffromColfax

You must be sicker than you thought. Lol

December 16th, 2013 6:47 pm

4. htwaits

You must be hitting the hot toddy heavy today.

Enjoy the down time.

December 16th, 2013 6:54 pm

5. ST

the same LaMichael James you have called a “shrimp?” He is too small to be a lead blocker/fullback. I would be interested hear why you think he would be good as a fullback though.

December 16th, 2013 6:57 pm

6. Jack Orion

How is the Kundera holding up? Have you read “The Book of Laughter and Forgetting” yet?

December 16th, 2013 7:33 pm

7. Mighty joe

Thoughts? I have a few. You get paid to opine on football, right? Having read your column I know that you know the difference between LMJ and a full back. So are you trolling your readers? If so, why? Is this supposed to be funny? If so where’s the humerus part?

December 16th, 2013 9:10 pm

8. Jeff D.

Phil Dawson. All he does is stand around on the sideline anyway.

December 16th, 2013 10:21 pm

9. Brady

Don’t worry Lowell, if you’re already on to the fever dreams, then the sickness should be gone soon

December 16th, 2013 11:05 pm

10. Tommy CostaRica

Tebow!

December 17th, 2013 9:13 am

Getting snipey I see

December 17th, 2013 9:20 am

12. Brett

How bout’ one of those back-up tight ends? They can block and be an aditional receiver out of the back field. I know “out of the box”. They will probably just use Hunter and Dixon.

December 17th, 2013 10:38 am

13. Brett

Please explain yourself Lowell. This is one of the caziest thoughts you have had.

However – I would like to see LJ catch the ball in space.

December 17th, 2013 10:40 am

14. chewie

Here’s a better thought – make James the RB and move Gore to fullback. Gore is an excellent blocker and can do all the things Miller can do. Defenses wouldn’t know how to line up with Gore at fullback.

December 17th, 2013 1:57 pm

@Tommy CostaRica…I like that idea.
    Tebow needs to humble himself and do what God really ordains….block in the hole for Frank Gore!!

December 17th, 2013 2:15 pm

16. Tommy CostaRica

LaMichael James was another bad pick. He hasn’t looked good on kickoffs or punt returns and he’s not going to be any good out of the backfield. Should of sent him to KC with AJ as a freebee…

December 17th, 2013 2:44 pm

17. dharte

LaMichael James is a bust: not quick enough to be dangerous, not fast enough to be dangerous, too small to block, nothing special on passing routes; meanwhile, the kid is a constant acid reflux-inducing adventure on punt returns (the Kyle Williams of his class, as it were).

AJ Jenkins & LaMichael James are the two worst opening picks of a 49er draft in the last twenty years.

Maybe Joe Looney comes through, but if not, Baalke went 0-2012.

Pathetic. Who blows an entire draft besides Mike Ditka?

December 17th, 2013 3:46 pm

18. Brett

Chewie – Interesting thought. Not sure it would work but would be interesting to see them try something like that. Maybe not all the time but once in a while. I would still like to see what LJ can do in space before I write him off.

December 18th, 2013 8:15 am

19. MJ

No to all ideas outside of using Dixon. Dixon had previously suggested, and even trained, at full back, he’s not quite Millers weight but he’s definitely a bruiser and he’s very fresh.

A fullback needs to have size and speed, to be able to make contact with a MLB or OLD/DE and stop their movement, either making a running lane for Gore or keeping one open downfield. LMJ would get bowled over and be flat on his back.

And you DO NOT put your franchise, 30 year old, going for his 3rd straight 1200 yard season, potential HOF rb in as a FB to block for a “done nothing in this league” rb like LMJ. You want to keep Gore healthy for the next year, or more, not put him in harms way.

December 18th, 2013 12:24 pm

20. Sondra Byullotch

What do you make of Kaepernick speaking candidly about Miller on Maiocco’s page?

December 19th, 2013 12:32 am

I think I have fan in Jim Harbaugh. That time he called Gore Superman,only a day or so after I had posted that same remark?. And now he compares his moves to chess strategy. Who’s been on Dennis Allen for the bad late chess game moves?
    I always said,people with a brain know how accurate I’ve been over the years and local types eventually come around to my thinking rather then the other way around. Heck,I read in the Trib/Merc today that Hue was the only coach to get any production out of the Raiders. And that was followed by “He was fired by Reggie McKenzie”. Even worse,the article was about McFadden and how Reggie put all his marbles in support of him. It was me who warned the Raiders. They read it.

December 19th, 2013 9:13 am

Maybe Jim admires that I was the first to mention him as coach of the 49ers..pre Singletary. As usual I got the putdowns. And as usual ,I was right.

December 19th, 2013 1:35 pm

I think I’m tied with Judge Judy as Jim paraphases. Only Judy he gives credit too..
    Story of my life..