In this morning’s column I wrote the Niners are the best team in the NFC and have a good shot at going to the Super Bowl. So, naturally a bunch of readers told me I’m all wet and the Niners offense is no big deal and they almost lost to the Falcons.

Believe me. I noticed.

If I had written the Niners have a so-so offense and won’t make the Super Bowl an equal number of readers would have been outraged and told me I’m a hack and I’m too old and should retire.

Can’t win for losing.

I guess that’s the fun of writing a blog.

I saw American Hustle and really liked it.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Comments

Why would you write they are the best when the Seahawks are? I wouldn’t trade the Seattle QB for Kap either.
    Its for Seattle to lose. And I hope they do– to the 49ers.

December 24th, 2013 10:11 am

2. Brett

Merry Christmas to everyone. Don’t sell yourself short Lowell. Your opinion matters just like the rest of us. We can agree and add to it, or disagree and explain why. Or we can simply agree to disagree. Wow…that was cheesy.

December 24th, 2013 10:39 am

You want to be universally loved? LOL. Hopefully you’ll get over that as you start to feel better physically and the holidays slip away into a new year.

I like you Lowell. Have a great Christmas with the fam!

December 24th, 2013 11:10 am

BUT,as to your point Lowell? I’ve been right,and ahead about some of the biggest sports stories locally in the last half decade.
    I would have thought I could sit back and enjoy the platitudes by now. Instead,I get backtalk that I wrote Ronny instead of Ronnie. I mean,its not like I said “Joey” Montana.

You have to keep in mind those who know better- do. They just aren’t rabid to write on every topic “You are great Lowell!”
    The ones who don’t like you no matter what..will always post that “you suck”.
    Just the way men (mostly) are.

December 24th, 2013 11:13 am

5. Sondra Byullotch

Where? Why isn’t that column linked here?

I’ll tell you one thing. The Seattle Seahawks are ranked #1. They were ranked #1 the week before losing to the Niners, ranked #1 the week after losing to the Niners, ranked #1 the week after defeating the Giants, and ranked #1 the week after being dominated by the Cardinals.

So, apparently some can win for losing.

December 24th, 2013 2:05 pm

Merry Christmas Lowell.

I think that the Niners have to struggle mightily to get any win. However,in the NFL this year no team is dominant every week. So the Niners have just as good a shot to getting to the Superbowl as any I suppose. It will take some luck.

December 24th, 2013 8:07 pm

7. Oaksterdam

Who care? Little Lord FontleYork is going to clear a hundred mil a year. That’s–clear. And all those corporate boxes are tax deductible.

Now go out and buy your booble head dolls.

December 24th, 2013 9:18 pm

8. Elknarps

After getting the middle child with a hacking cough to sleep it was downstairs to fill the stockings and drag in from the garage two 80 pound coffin sized boxes housing the aforementioned child’s request for a trampoline. Somehow my wife wrapped it(after suggesting I assemble it).

Earlier it was Christmas Eve at in laws. My wife’s mother gave me a 49ers front door mat and 49ers car mat. Apparently stepping on the logo is good luck.

Winding down with a second glass of Coppola Claret. Maybe four hours until kids get Christmas day started.

Best to you all.

December 25th, 2013 1:31 am

Elknarps, Is the Coppola Claret good? I have not liked his wines in the past. Merry Christmas.

December 25th, 2013 1:35 am

10. NancyR

Merry Christmas! I saw American Hustle. I liked Jennifer Lawrence. I didn’t buy Amy Adams as a hustler type. They didn’t suspend my disbelief…..however, I loved Saving Mr. Banks!!!!!

December 25th, 2013 5:30 am

11. NancyR

Don’t retire.

December 25th, 2013 5:31 am

12. Tommy CostaRica

Merry Christmas Lowell to you and your family. I enjoyed your bold predictions and ranking of the niners as top dogs. I’m hoping that those green and blue birds and the pewter kittys fold this Sunday; and we know that the red birds can’t beat the niners any time, any where by your column after we beat them some months back. We showed the Cards how to beat the Hawks by containing Wilson and they showed us how to beat the Hawks in their own crib. Sad to see the season almost done but I know Harbaugh and company are going to drag this thing out as long as possible!

December 25th, 2013 6:01 am

13. Elknarps

I’ve found the Claret to be the most consistent, but what whine is over 15 years. I suppose it’s more nostalgia, as my wife and I and friends used to sit outside his restaurant in North Beach 15 plus years ago, order bottles of Claret and watch the diversity of Columbus.

December 25th, 2013 7:59 am

A Christmas heatwave! We might-should- break records here in the eastbay.
    I don’t mind wearing a T shirt on a warm Christmas day. Too old to get dressed up for any of that stuff anymore. Who am I trying to impress? Clarence the (slightly crossed eyed) Cat?

My “in crowd” people will be making a baked Ham later. Can’t wait for the mashed tators!

December 25th, 2013 10:39 am

15. Phil

Thanks for all the blog posts for the year. I especially enjoyed your recent post on Dwight Clark. It just goes to show the unexpected twists and turns in life sometimes turn into something great.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

December 25th, 2013 2:55 pm

16. B-Rad

In case you haven’t noticed, this is not the 49ers’ year. They won’t win their division.
    They will be lucky to get a wild-card berth. They are rapidly falling out of
    contention. It’s not long before we write them off – or better yet, consign them
    to football purgatory.

Lowell Cohn – NOV 17, 2013

Of the Cohn Zohners who responded to your erroneous conclusion of NOV 17th,
    I think that you’ll be happy to know that 12 clearly agreed with you and only
    4 clearly disagreed.

December 25th, 2013 4:18 pm

And Lowell did say a week later ” I was dead wrong”.

But,I almost fear backing him up. Most blog owners I once defended,stabbed me in the back by claiming that somehow I was costing them money! From who? The public or local celebrity donations? or local sports teams? That they never answer.

And on the 49ers fading..I didn’t say anything about not making the playoffs. I did say Kap wasn’t what he was last year,and that Harbaugh beats the crap out of teams he should as one strong point on his coaching. So far,both are holding up.

December 25th, 2013 5:52 pm

18. Elknarps

Earlier I said whine, as what I did 40 years ago when Dad made me clean up the Great Danes’ poop. The Professor of English is not impressed.

December 25th, 2013 8:41 pm

19. Streetglide

To modify an old saw you can please all of the people some of the time and some of the… well you get my drift.

December 26th, 2013 6:32 am

Whats an elknarp?

December 26th, 2013 9:54 am

No, wait,one blog owner did say that my assertion of one 49er in particular being an obvious steroid user -hgh no doubt,was costing him donations of memorabilia as blog contest giveaways.
    And why is that my concern?

And the other is a longer story and all I can say is read my blog for all that deep dramarama….

December 26th, 2013 11:54 am

22. mike w

Lowell, its a win win situation. Either way we respond. Right or wrong, we , I love reading your stuff. Got a new recipe for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? Can’t wait.

December 26th, 2013 1:22 pm

@ Oaksterdam
    What are you implying ? ..that Forty Niner fans are bobble heads because they don’t care how much York makes? Get a life.

December 26th, 2013 5:41 pm

24. Elknarps

Stan:

My friend in first grade went wiith my name backward. I’ve kind of liked It since. His last lame is Carter, so Retrac had its fun until age nine or 10. But elknarps – well that’s just timless.

Yes Lowell, literary genius.

December 26th, 2013 11:01 pm

25. PhD

Though we still have nearly a half Matson container to unpack in front of our new place, the flaming redhead (with apologies to Dr Z) and I live on Maui now, so from time to time you may find my posts awaiting moderation earlier or later than has been customary in the past Lowell. Hope you and yours had a Mele Kalikimaka. My approach would have been that I’m uncertain which team in the NFC is the best but we shall be finding out soon enough.

December 27th, 2013 9:59 am

26. Brett

Donta Whitner (Hitner) suggestion; “allow intant replay on all hemet to helmet penalties.

I made this suggestion a while back. The plays are at to fast a spead for the refs to even have a chance at getting it right. The conciquences are to high not to have another review which would only take a few minutes. I am totaly for this. Thoughts?

December 27th, 2013 1:18 pm

27. MJ

Brett: NFL needs to make a few changes in the replay department. They should adopt the NCAA version in that EVERY play is in theory “being reviewed” by someone up in the media tower. Coaches still can challenge if they wish, but the idea is that you won’t need to and that the reviewer in the tower will alert the ref to stop play, and its the person upstairs that does the review, not the guy on the field, so there won’t be this pressure to appease the crowd or protect one of their crew.

If the NFL adopted this method, then the NFL could allow the coaches to then have the option to use one of those 2 challenges on helmet to helmet/roughing the passer/p.i. calls that are game changers. This way the coach doesn’t have to worry about what plays to review and be out of reviews for a foul, and vice verse. The NFLs method is stupid in only allowing 2 challenges a game, what if there was a 3rd or 4th blown call, oh well you lose?

Change play reviews to the booth all game long, booth stops play if it feels it needs to, and allow the coaches to use those 2 challenges (maybe even 2 per half) on egregious penalties that, like the brooks and whitner, can possibly impact the outcome of the game outside of the field of play.

December 28th, 2013 1:11 pm

Your name is Prankle? Whats a Prankle?

Ah,just kidding ya now!..Happy New Year!

December 28th, 2013 2:08 pm