Grant and I were scheduled to fly out of Appleton, Wisconsin early this afternoon (Monday) and connect with a flight from Minneapolis to SFO. When we got to the Appleton Airport (it was -16 degrees outside) the plane was there. Good. Unfortunately, there was no crew. Ugh! After a delay, Delta got a crew to take over the plane. No blame on that one. The awful weather caused havoc with flights.

We flew into Minneapolis for our San Francisco flight with plenty of time to spare. We walked to the gate. The plane was there. The plane had been there a while. We boarded. I stowed my warm coat in the overhead. I was home free.

Except I wasn’t. We experienced one of those ambiguous delays. We waited. We didn’t know what the deal was. Finally the pilot said they had to clean out the lavatories.

Really?

They didn’t do this earlier? I mean the plane had been there.

So we sat in the plane while the cleanup took place.

Except it didn’t.

A valve got stuck because of the cold and they couldn’t get rid of the “stuff.”

We waited one hour and fifteen minutes.

They told us they couldn’t fix the problem. They made us get off the plane. So I’m here waiting in Minneapolis. They say we will get a new plane. They say we will get home tonight. I sure hope so.

But, really, they could have cleaned the lavatories a long time before we arrived. As far as I’m concerned this is an all-timer. Delta dropped the ball big time. Is Delta a joke airline?

Comments

1. Mike in N. Oakland

Had a flight Friday from Philly to Oakland, yet no plane at the gate as it was stuck at MDW. Next earliest flight: Tuesday to SFO. Just found out flight from MDW to SFO has been cancelled for Tuesday, so next available flight: Saturday to OAK. That’s Southwest. I hope Delta is better for you.

January 6th, 2014 8:51 pm

2. 49ers:)

January 7th, 2014 12:16 am

3. mendozaline

Saw that your plane landed 3 hour and 5 minutes late.
    Glad that you got back to SFO safely.

David Pollak of the SJ Mercury News missed Sunday’s Sharks game. His first miss in 7 years.

January 7th, 2014 12:25 am

Sounds like a real crap hole, I got stuck in Atlanta wuth Delta, there was a plane, we had pilots, but we neeeded flight attendants, 3 hours later we took off.Lowell at least the people were Nice?

January 7th, 2014 6:27 am

5. Bob In Portland

Back in early December got stuck in Atlanta for a day and a half because of plane problems. Never fun. United. Delta actually got us out of there.

January 7th, 2014 8:40 am

6. Vijay

All US-based airlines are a joke, Lowell. After traveling on Cathay Pacific and Singapore Air, US-based airlines have ways to go. Hope you managed to reach home safe.

January 7th, 2014 11:15 am

7. Marco

Pretty much all the airlines are a joke now.

United, Southwest, Delta…..it’s all the same.

January 7th, 2014 11:36 am

Vijay, Grant and I finally slumped into the house at 12:30 in the morning. What a day.

January 7th, 2014 12:06 pm

9. Jimmy

Great experience with Jet Blue, although they don’t fly everywhere.

January 7th, 2014 1:52 pm

10. Jerry

United has some of the lowest ratings of any company in the country. They’re on par with Comcast and AT&T.

January 7th, 2014 4:31 pm

Jerry, How is Delta rated?

January 7th, 2014 5:04 pm

12. Jerry

Both a Forbes article and a USA Today article put Delta in the middle of the pack. The USA Today article cites Delta’s “ease of check-in” but “lack of seat comfort.” Seems you may disagree.

January 7th, 2014 8:54 pm

I just flew United to South Fla,perfect flights both eays and the attendants work very hard compared to other airlines.

January 7th, 2014 9:05 pm

The return of Dennis the menace Allen is making my stomach twist like the hiring of Singletary,the re hiring of Nelson and other sure fire losers that only make me start the countdown until somebody who knows what they are doing is found. And for Raider fans its going to be years more.

January 8th, 2014 10:45 am

15. Tom T Thompson III PhD

Didn’t the press used to fly with the teams they covered? Or am I misremembering (as Roger Clemens might say)?

January 8th, 2014 11:00 am

Tom T, Long time ago. No more.

January 8th, 2014 11:26 am

17. mendozaline

Vin Scully reminisced on a Giants telecast about travel on trains. Train trips allowed for more of a relationship between the press and members of the team.

January 8th, 2014 1:23 pm

When you bring back a coach who couldn’t even figure out who his best QB was or is,and who created a completely unstable season, then your a horses patooty of a owner.
    Flynn : 83 rating
    McGloin:76
    Pryor:69
    When you drag the best of the lot down like Allen did to Pryor,you should be sent away and forgotten.

OMG,what a curse the Raiders have been under.

January 8th, 2014 3:46 pm

19. Sondra Byullotch

I like Delta. I had a connection in Minneapolis last March (the shocking chill in the jetway brought shudders and a deep appreciation for mild west-coast weather), where basically the same thing happened. So I would say that if flying Delta, avoid the Minneapolis connection. Other than that, I like it. I just flew from SFO->LHR via JFK and back during the holiday season, and all 4 flights were perfect in all regards.

Avoid Minneapolis. Fly Delta.

January 9th, 2014 9:32 am

Mark Davis said ” I laughed at all the internet talk that said I was going to replace Allen”. Yeah,so did Nero.

Mark is such an idiot.