So, I’m in the Giants clubhouse promptly at 8:30 this morning, the first day of full-squad workouts and I walk over to the wall where they’ve posted the day’s schedule and on the bottom I read the lunch menu — steak and lobster. That’s a big deal, I’m thinking. These ballplayes have it real good. I’m lucky to get the California Club Sandwich.

An hour or so later, I’m in the press box at beautiful Scottsdale Stadium and I’m talking to my editor on the phone about story ideas and he reminds me to blog from down here and I say I’m about to blog the menu — steak and lobster and isn’t that the living end.

Andy Baggarly from CSNBayArea starts to giggle. I wonder why. I hang up and he says the Giants aren’t getting steak and lobster. Coach Ron Wotus types an imaginary meal at the bottom of every day’s schedule.

Thank you, Andy, for saving my bacon — or my steak and lobster. Maybe the Giants will get the California Club.

Comments

1. lameduck

But it’s your 34th Spring Training! :) Thank you for bringing a smile to my face during a working lunch. I’m having a cup of soup and a salad – Water to drink.

February 19th, 2014 11:11 am

BUT, if the players ask for steak and lobsters.. AND blue lobsters only? THEY WOULD GET IT. Pressbox would get clean cardboard boxes for their Superdog’s.

February 19th, 2014 12:57 pm

3. Brett

Baggs saved you “bacon” Lowell.

February 19th, 2014 1:22 pm

4. Reagtanajeb

This makes me recall a column you wrote a long time ago…1983? ’84? Sometime around there when I, as a teen, was enjoying your writing on the green pages of the Chronicle. You had written that Frank Robinson had shut down meal services for Giants players in the locker room so they would “play hungrier.” This resulted in Jack Clark paying the batboy to sneak him a hot dog in the on-deck circle, and Joel Youngblood spiriting a ham & cheese sandwich from home into his back pocket, causing him to slide past 2nd base and get tagged out. Also, you had Johnnie LeMaster hiding an apple in his glove and accidently throwing it to Duane Kuiper to start a double play. Can’t believe I’ve been enjoying your stuff for so long now, and you still crack me up. Thank you.

February 19th, 2014 2:02 pm

5. Jack Orion

You read “Bang the Drum Slowly” LC? Think you’d like a game of Tegwar with the ballplayers.

February 19th, 2014 8:23 pm

Jack Orion, I read the whole trilogy. Love it.

February 19th, 2014 8:50 pm

7. Matt in Newark

If you’re ever in Downtown Scottsdale, check out Cien Agaves Tacos & Tequila Restaurant. Best chile rellenos I’ve ever had.

February 20th, 2014 12:20 am

Lowell, as per your recommendation I had dinner with a relative at the Black Bass Hotel last week. Great venue on the Delaware serving great food. Thanks .

February 20th, 2014 7:15 pm