Obviously, Jim Harbaugh is not going to Cleveland. Does that mean there was no truth to the story that a deal was discussed, that a deal was in place, that he was poised to go? I believe there was some truth to most or all of that. I’ve been doing this a long time and stories like this one don’t just appear from nowhere. I believe something happened. We may never know what happened. When Jed York tweeted that the story was untrue, I ask myself what part was untrue — I believe some of it was true.

Comments

1. Hacksaw

I can see how the 49ers might look at an offer for Harbaugh. He has been slow to sign to a contract extension. He wants top tier coach money and they want him to earn that first with a superbowl win.

If the Browns came up with an offer that included a great player like Gordon and draft picks, that might be tempting. Losing a great coach would be tough, but their situation is pretty special right now: top team, new stadium, great draft picks. You might get some interest from coaches who say they aren’t interested, eg. David Shaw, Gruden, etc

I can see Jim’s point of view too though. Although he hasn’t won the superbowl, he has had a lot of success, which definitely rejuvenated the franchise and helped get the new stadium built. Maybe he deserves a little more than just what his record is as a coach for bringing the 49ers back to prominence.

February 22nd, 2014 11:40 am

I think also..NOT winning the Super Bowl is making Jim one angry hombre. Balkee’s useless picks,Jed and Family’s always having money for what they want like billion $ stadiums..coaches get in line.
    Its like its just getting on his nerves. Nobody as wound as he is is just letting it all go.

February 22nd, 2014 1:03 pm

3. Brady

I believe that the Browns were indeed interested in trading for Harbaugh. I believe that is as close as it come to anything happening.

February 22nd, 2014 2:05 pm

4. B-Rad

True or not, the angst floating around Niner HQ must be thick enough to
    cut with a butter knife. The football people have one job – catch and pass
    the Seahawks.

Depending on which source you believe, the Hawks were tied as the youngest
    Super Bowl winning team in history or were the 4th youngest.

Their starters last season were the 4th youngest in the league while we
    were the 24th youngest – advantage Hawks.

Their entire roster was the 4th youngest while we were the 25th
    youngest – advantage Seahawks.

Their defense last year was #1 in the NFL, we were #5 – advantage Hawks.

Their offense last season was #17 while we were #24 – advantage Seahawks.
    (You may argue that our offense would have been better if Crabtree hadn’t
    missed the first two-thirds of the season. But their top receiver the previous season,
    Sidney Rice, went out with an injury in the 7th game and never returned. Their
    best receiver, newly acquired Percy Harvin -6 years $64.25M – only played 1
    game before the Super Bowl. Lowell wrote a bit disparagingly of the Hawks’
    OC, I never heard of the guy, but he did more with less than Greg Roman
    ever thought of doing.)

footballoutsiders.com has some convoluted method of ranking special teams:
    Hawks’ special teams were #6 while we were #5 – advantage Niners.

How do we catch the Seahawks? Let’s start by not repeating the 2012 draft.

February 22nd, 2014 2:22 pm

5. Michael S.

If you are the Browns (or Texas, or USC) you have to at least ask about a coach the caliber of Harbaugh. I believe most of the story is true. I’m not sure that they actually had an agreement in place as PFT reported.

Every year, about 6-8 teams have a realistic shot at winning the Super Bowl. It comes down to injuries and who is hot at the right time. The Niners are right in that mix next year.

February 22nd, 2014 9:33 pm

6. Gopal

Bill Walsh once wrote that among the most important relationships that a head coach can develop are his relationships with other head coaches.

Is it now apparent that Harbaugh’s history with his fellow head coaches indicates something important about him?

February 23rd, 2014 8:26 pm